“Nice place for a lobster roll”

Dad's Restaurant of Niantic
Ranked #15 of 44 Restaurants in Niantic
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Nice place for a lobster roll”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stopped at Dad's on the way back from Groton this weekend. We had two lobster rolls, half a pint of fried whole clams, a rootbeer float and an iced tea. Everything was delicious. The lobster roll had big chunks of meat on top of a new england style sliced hot dog roll and a side of melted butter so you could put as much or as little as you wanted. The clams were crispy and hot, and the half pint (combined with the lobster rolls) was very filling. The rootbeer float was also very yummy, especially on a hot day. The total bill was $48. The lobster rolls were $14 each, and the clams were $12 which is pretty much the going rate for both of those items. The staff was very friendly, and we were served quickly. Make sure to stop at Dad's if you feel like having some good food at a good old fashioned clam shack!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Arlene M

Wassaic, New York
“Dad's is a decent place with an ocean view.”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I visited the area for the first time from July 5-6. We are on a budget and really wanted a beachy feel. We spent a day at Rocky Neck Beach and the afternoon in Niantic(which I researched extensively before we came). After a day at the beach, we wanted nothing fancy but some decent seafood at an ocean side place. I was looking to try my first lobster roll.
We headed all the way down main St and started at Dad's Restaurant. The staff was very helpful and nice. I have food allergies so they were knowledgeable when I asked questions. Its a really hot day so we ordered Chocolate milkshakes. Decent price(cheaper then what we pay in our hometown), extra thick and they put Hershey's syrup in them! Very good and refreshing! The ambiance is great for what it is. A take out window inside a breezy, almost like an enclosed covered porch w/lots of windows that look out over the water(not directly on the water, there's train tracks). Picnic table seating. Someone was always cleaning down tables while we were there. Nice view. You can either eat on the outside porch which is breezy too. We ate inside where there was a nice breeze by the windows, since we already had too much sun for the day! We ordered besides the milkshakes, an order of onion rings and a hot lobster roll(which comes with coleslaw and chips). The onion rings are home made and there are a lot of them and they were crispy. Good point. Bad point they had no flavor at all. They really need to add something to the very nice light batter that they are dipped in. We added salt but it really needed it in the batter and not just sprinkled on it. The lobster roll was small but had a good heaping of warm lobster on it and it was served w/ drawn butter($13.99). It was the average for lobster rolls in town. We both savored it for what it was, pure tasty lobster. The coleslaw was very tasty and had a nice bite. We took the chips w/us for later. We will definitely go back for ice cream and try other menu items in the future. There seems to be a competition between Dad's and Skipper's among visitors so we are going to try Skipper's next and compare. Dad's is definitely a decent spot for a nice bite to eat!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ECWA25
Kennewick, Washington
“Not much different that Skippers”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The location needs to focus on curb appeal. It was a busy place upon arrival, however the food does not differ much from skippers. I hear that "the dock" down the road is better. I do have to compliment their Lobster Fritters, as they were outstanding.

• Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful Casual Family Restaurant with GREAT Service”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were driving down the coast from Boston through Connecticut, and after having stopped by Harkness Memorial State Park, drove through Niantic and found Dad's. It is a very casual family type restaurant, with picnic tables (inside) to eat on. My wife had the lobster roll and said it was the best she had eaten on our trip. I had the fried fish dinner which I would describe as very good but not great, However, the service was extraordinary After lunch, we noted they had a separate ice cream counter, so we decided we would give it a try. My wife asked for coffee ice cream and they said they were out, so she picked another flavor. Meanwhile, the manager (owner, Dad, not sure ???), heard the conversation and went to the back freezer and found the coffee ice cream. He proceeded to deliver to us an extra large helping on the house. And may I note that the coffee ice cream, the blackberry ice cream, and the vanilla ice cream sandwich were all outstanding! Even with the good food and desert, what we will remember most is the great service. Highly recommended for a great casual meal.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MiddleAgedMarriedMan
“Love the place”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

My favorite place for me and my family when we go to niantic. People are great love the atmosphere. The ice cream is top notch. I would recommend people to make dads a recommended stop.

• Visited June 2012