“NO A/C ANDTHE FRONT DESK COULD CARE LESS!!”

Motel 6 New London - Niantic
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Stayed at this Hotel the other Night and the A/C did not work. Told the Front Desk and he could care less. I am disputing with my Credit Card Company. Do yourself a favor pay a little more and stay in comfort!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank edphilipp

Reviewed February 15, 2010

I did not expect the world at this Motel 6, however I would have appreciated the room and bathroom to be more clean. There was hair all over the bathroom which grossed me out to the point of not using it to shower, and the room had an odd smell. Forget getting a comfortable night's sleep as the beds are extremely uncomfortable and the bedding was very coarse. The room did not have a fridge ( I stayed years ago and remember them having a fridge). In addition there were undesirable people yelling and agruing at all hours of the night, everytime I left the room there was some other commotion going on. I will never stay there again, I would gladly pay extra money to be able to have a safe night's sleep.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jzan23
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed in this motel one night while we were visiting Mystic, CT. It seems to be relatively new, is in very good condition, is conveniently located near I-95, and we were very pleased with it. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the shower worked well. It's a no-frills place (bring your own hair dryer and shampoo) but it's a very efficient, well-run place, and the staff members were very nice. It's a very good value, overall.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carefreeretiree
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed here for a few days before our wedding. The location was perfect for us, since it's close to where most of our family lives, but for visitors from out of the area it would also be perfect, since it's close to my favorite childhood beach, Rocky Neck, and the lovely village of Niantic.

We stayed at the Motel 6 because we were getting married and wanted to save our cash for our wedding and honeymoon. Our room was clean, my only complaints are that there was a cigarette burn in our comforter and our blanket looked like it had seen better days. The room was also very small and the bed was a bit uncomfortable. However, the room was clean, no bugs, etc, and the price was amazing. I think we paid $55 each night, while every other hotel in the area was going for a lot more.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greensubmarine
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Motel is very basic but very clean. Room was newly painted with new rug. Comfortable bed but tiny pillows. Bathroom was fine but bring your own shampoo, etc. Towels were also very small. Room had queen-size bed, table, two chairs, small TV and a desk. Desk clerk very friendly and quick check-in. Called on Saturday and was able to get a last minute reservation for that night at a good rate. Cheaper than the Sleep Inn which is across the road. Landscape was very well kept and large L-shaped pool looked very clean. 12 minutes from Mohegan Sun and less than 30 minutes to Foxwoods. Only complaint was that a tractor trailor with motor running right outside our room woke us up at 7:30 A.M.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances17NewYork
Reviewed May 20, 2009

This Motel 6 is located right off the 95 freeway... though it is easy to miss because it is on a side street with an entrance at a diagonal angle (a quick "double-turn" from the main street). The immediate surrounding area is green... lush... quiet... with the Coast Guard Academy, Casinos, the city of Mystic... all within about a fifteen minute drive. I was attracted to the place due to the great reviews here and the price: $39.95 per night (online and also currently at-the-door) special ($44.79 with tax). It was less than half the price of most of the other chains listed.
The staff was nice. I was checked in quickly (less than 5 minutes) and went to my upstairs room. I was a little concerned to see the layers of rust on the stairs... but VERY impressed by the room. Very simple. Very clean. I usually check the sheets first, and am happy to report there were no ashes/strange hairs/etc. (which I've experienced at other hotels). The comforter was colorful and slightly-worn. All the lights worked (the one that I thought was out had a twist knob on the bottom). The cleanliness extended to the rest of the room: no random leftover trash... no funky smells... Simple. Clean. Basic.
I ended up staying four nights (Sun Check-in to Thursday Check-out). During that time things that stood out: Nice sized bathtub/shower combination. Good shower head (no layers of hard-water buildup) and water pressure. Also, the water temperature seems to go nowhere near "painful scalding hot" thankfully. Free Local Phone Calls. When I needed an iron and ironing board I was able to borrow one from the front desk in exchange for my driver's license. The board was a stained and ratty... but still usable and the iron was surprisingly clean and easy to use. Quick phone pickup (less than 4 rings) whenever I dialed the front desk. Other tidbits: Can rent a refrigerator for $3 + tax per night (though they are only in some rooms... I would have had to change rooms). Since I needed to keep some leftovers cold for a few hours my last night, the staff pointed me toward using the ice from the dispenser in the lobby. You can also get wireless internet for $3/night (though currently it is free since they have been having issues... it is only available to "some rooms". My upstairs room was not one of them.). It wasn't an issue for me since I have my own broadband card, but it may be for other laptop-carrying travelers. I would have changed rooms for the hotel wireless signal if needed since I didn't notice any other available wireless networks.
Next time I am in the area I would definitively stay here again, though I would probably ask for one of the rooms with a refrigerator.
Note: I forgot to take photos before I started making use of the facilities... So I went ahead and took two right now: They show the wonderful shower and the one twist-turn light.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank MirthfulTravel
Reviewed February 11, 2009

This was an unplanned stay. I was driving at 11 PM in heavy snow and opted for shelter. Picked the Motel 6 when I saw a $39 weekend rate posted on their electric sign.

This classic Motel 6 was more than adequate. Clean large room, with two reasonably comfortable full beds, large desk and chair, working TV, and functional bath. Nothing fancy... but what do you expect?

The staff were very helpful. My rental car did not have a snow brush, and the front desk guy went out to his car and lent me his equipment. Sure made clearing the car easier.

Thumbs up on this old fashioned value .... with a bit of extra service!

The four star rating on my experience controls for the price and class of hotel. This is not a four star hotel. . . . it is a one to two star motel that does a more than adequate job of taking care of its guests.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank aversetospam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niantic
Rodeway Inn Waterford
Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 5 in New London

Been to Motel 6 New London - Niantic? Share your experiences!