“Nice family, but maybe bedbugs!”

Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme
Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
New York City, New York
“Nice family, but maybe bedbugs!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. The place was better than we expected after reading all of the reviews on here. The family that runs the place seems nice and we were satisfied with the room. We left on Sun, and later that day I discovered I had about 20 bites all over my face, chest, arms, and legs. My husband had a few on his arms. I thought maybe a mosquito but really doubt it. I hope it wasn't from the hotel but in reality it must be. They look like bedbug bites and are soo itchy. Anyway just a heads up. It's a shame because we had a decent stay there.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chinadoll1117
alpineinn-vt, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the family that runs our establishment to be nice. I would have expected nothing less, but that is always nice to hear.

I am so sorry about the insect bites you report. I too hope it is not bedbugs from the hotel and that it is nothing serious.

• The family that runs our establishment was informed of the nice things you said about them and received our commendation.

• Management was informed of your report of insect bites and looking into the possibility of bedbugs.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Wow, wish I had read the reviews before I booked this room! We were on a family vacation, we booked 3 rooms with this Inn because we received a value card in the mail.
When we arrived, we were a little leary...not the nicest looking place, but hey, we were only there for 1 night on our way up the coast. We checked in, the place smelled, bad.
My daughter checked in first, her price was 80 something dollars with the value card, then came my parents turn, they werent allowed to use the value card, only one use... hmmmm. They were charged 90 something dollars (same kind of room), then came my turn... I was charged a little over 100 dollars for the same room, also not allowed to use the card.
We were not given rooms that were close together, we asked, the couldn't accomodate us. We went to the rooms. I will only tell you of my experience, the room did not stink as the office did. That is the only pro there is! There was spackle all over the walls, like it was getting ready to be painted, the rug was coming up on the sides of the walls. There was no luggage rack to put our suitcases on, ( the two rooms had them), normally not a big deal..... but was seriously scared to put the suitcases on the floor. The bathroom had pubic hairs on the floor, and some of the biggest daddy long legs I have ever seen. One of the beds actually had what looked to be dried blood on the sheets, in several spots.
We went to go outside and it was scary. There were alot of "savory" characters in the parking lot. Not sure if they were actually living there or just staying there. There was no pool, well, there was a pool, just no water. They had the bedspreads hanging on the fence by the "pool". We walked over to feel if they were wet, I don't think they were washed, just airing them out.
We will never be back, it was one of the worst places we have ever seen. Beware, not a good place, seedy, dirty and no pride of ownership.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mortgageone4mz
Rina P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than a perfect stay. I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. All claims against this property will be further investigated and are taken seriously. The Value Club price is based upon the number of adults per room. In addition the rates vary according to bed type as well.

Regards,
Rina-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic, CT

Travelers are raving about these Niantic hotels

Milton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I've stayed with ABVI before, and found them to be a decent no-frills hotel, so I had no hesitation to stay with them again. I have one of their Value Club cards because it gets me an additional 15% off.

First off: if you expect anything other than basic accomodations, this is not your place. All I ask for is internet access (for downtime), a TV with reasonable channel selection (NO Lodgenet), and clean facilities.

When we pulled up, it was decent and presentable enough. It's obviously an old hotel, but that doesn't really bother me. Things were clean and in fairly decent repair. The person who I assume is the owner checked me in. I reminded him I had a Value Club card (as I did when I phoned the reservation in previously) and he just nodded - he didn't ask to see it. He gave us a room on the 2nd floor, which didn't make me too happy (I have chronic arthritis and there is no elevator) but I can deal. We went to our room and I'm glad my husband had to immediately use the restroom and I hadn't had a chance to unpack.

There were a number of dead bugs in the bathroom. In the shower was one of the biggest Daddy Longlegs spiders that I've seen. The shower curtain had something on it that looked like dried blood (not sure if it was or not - did not want to inspect closer). When I looked up at the ceiling, there was something odd smeared on it. When my husband pulled a towel out of the rack to wipe his face (it was incredibly humid outside), it had some sort of spot on it. I'm normally not to critical over things like a water spot here and there, but this was a bit much to take in all at once.

I phoned the front desk and asked for something cleaner. He said OK, and I sent my husband down to swap rooms. He said that the owner's wife was super apologetic and said if the new room didn't meet our satisfaction she'd take care of whatever needed to be done while we watched, and she'd take care of the other room. He asked for a room on the first floor (or in the one story building) but was told no by the owner. When he yet again reminded him that we had a Value Club card and were entitled to a free room upgrade on check-in if available. He told my husband that since we booked online, we weren't eligible for that. When he told the owner that we booked over the phone, he said we weren't eligible because we didn't book online. That sort-of ticked me off. Just say you don't participate or something.

The new room was much cleaner. We were downgraded to a Queen bed from a King, but we were able to deal. The only issue I had with that room is that the deadbolt wouldn't catch, and the door "bar" lock was broken, but held if you pushed the door open.

When we came back from the casino, we noticed a huge amount of beetles on the building by the stairwell - that really needs to be addressed. They need to call an exterminator. We noticed that a lot of air was coming in around the door (it was raining outside and you could feel the air coming in). We didn't notice the beetles coming in until I was jolted awake by one crawling on me. I did not need that.

All in all, it's not that bad of a place if they could address a few issues, like the beetles and the issues with the door. Also, they need to stop advertising a pool because we were eager for a dip to cool off only to find the pool was covered, and looked like it had been closed for a long time. I saw someone else mention that they weren't allowed to have a different rate, so this must be a trend with this particular hotel (never encountered a problem before with that). The bathroom fixtures (sink, toilet, shower enclosure) were all relatively new, the tile in the room was relatively new and nice, the bed was comfortable as was the couch, the TV was decent, and the Wi Fi worked good (need to get the password from the front desk). The fridge and microwave that all ABVI hotels that I've stayed in is a HUGE plus.

I would recommend this hotel to others looking for a NO FRILLS place to crash (I can't stress that enough because otherwise people will pick it apart) provided they address the few issues they need to address.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
alpineinn-vt, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme during your recent visit to our area.

I appreciate the kind things you said about our establishment. Thank you for calling our attention to the problem with the beetles and also with the locks on the door of your room.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

1) Both the manager and the maintenance staff were notified about the problem with the beetles and instructed to see to it that they were dealt with.

2) Maintenance staff was instructed to see to it that the locks on the room which you occupied were fixed.

3) The manager received additional training in registering guests and seeing to it that they received any and all benefits to which they are entitled through the use of their Value Club card or any other such product which entitles them to any special benefit.

I hope that the next time you are visiting in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme, I think you will be greatly pleased.

Osceola, AR
Reviewed July 9, 2009

You have to wonder how hard the owners are trying. There are many problems with the room that I received. I checked in late, around 9:30 pm, and all the "coupon" rooms were taken, so I took a more expensive room. I could have gotten a better deal with another motel, but like I said, it was late.

The good? They do have good internet access and the shower is clean and works well... the two things I use/require. Also, the front desk (owner) is friendly enough. There are the courtesy soap and shampoo, but that's it.

The bad? There are several small things that need to be fixed... like painting spots and tightening loose screws. A major improvement would be to soundproof the walls. You can hear your neighbors talk and play a guitar, like mine did.. until late. Add to the fact that the door is loose, you can hear every sound outside also. There is no free coffee, as almost every other motel offers. The bed is squeeky loud.

The bottom line: Is the room in line with what you pay? Well, if so, it's barely. I do think you can get a better deal, as the competition is strong here. I don't know if i would recommend this to a friend. If they lowered their price by 20%, then yes. As it is, hmmm...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank BAHnOsceola
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme for your recent stay in our area.

I’m sorry that you were bothered by noises both from inside and outside.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The management received extra training as to their responsibility to see to it that noisy guests are reminded to be considerate of other guests.

2) We are looking into the possibility of adding free coffee to our breakfast menu.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Good:
- Location
- Price
- Decently clean
- Quickly cold A/C
- Rooms available in high demand

Bad:
- Was given a key to someone else's room. When I opened the door, there was a guy in the bed!!!! Major flaw.
- Musty smell in room (but this went away with the A/C on)
- Window curtain didn't provide 100% privacy
- Deadbolt wouldn't lock completely
- No shampoo
- Towels were literally a third the size of a normal towel, and there were no extra ones.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

I am glad that for the most part your visit with us was a pleasant one. I’m sorry for the mix up with the room keys. I’m sure this must have been a startling incident for both you and the room’s occupant.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received extra training in making sure that the room is properly stocked with towels, face cloths, shampoos and other products. They also received instruction in making sure that the window curtains work properly.

2) Registration staff received extra training in making sure that they give each of our guests the proper room key.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Connecticut
Reviewed June 25, 2006

Stayed here 1 night with my family (wife, 4 yr. old, 1 yr. old) before an early morning outing near Niantic.

They did not have any crib even though it was requested before hand and my daughter ended spending the night on a sleeping bag we had to put on the floor.

The room was old and in poor/fair shape. The sheets were clean but had holes from cigarettes burns in them. The bathroom was fair, but the showerhead was very rusted over and only a trickle of water came through.

There was an unsavory element in the parking lot and it looks like several rooms are rented as "bad" apartments on a semi permanent basis.

Would never stay at this place again and recommend others to be warned.

• Stayed June 2006
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that there was not a crib made available for your daughter. That matter is being looked into, since you did request it ahead of time. I want to do my best to see to it that that doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The registration staff received extra training in seeing to it that any requests made ahead of time and agreed upon are filled.

2) The security staff received extra training in making sure that the property is properly watched over to protect our valued guests.

3) The maintenance staff was instructed to inspect the shower in the room which was assigned to you and make sure that it is working properly.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2005

My BF and I stood here because of an EXTREME last minute decision to go to Mohegan Sun. (talking 9pm!!) Everywhere in the area was booked, or so they were telling me on the phone, and since basically we needed just a place to crash, we wound up here. I'm undecided on whether we'll stay here again.

Pros:
Microwave and fridge in the room with a small freezer.
Close to the highway.
Management was friendly enough and allowed us a late checkout.
The room was a good temperature and was adjustable.
There was a bathtub.
The room was adequate size with enough cable channels to please.
There was no funny smells in the room.
Very close to the casinos (about 10 min from Mohegan Sun, 20 from Foxwoods)

Cons:
The bed did not have a fitted sheet on it, just a sheet thrown on the bed.
There were mysterious brown stains on the walls in the bathroom. Looked more like something spilled or burned, than something nasty.
Only amenity provided was shampoo and soap, but then again for $59 I wasn't expecting much.
Only one hanger in the room and it was a wire hanger.
Room was of the drive up to your door type. (Could be a pro depending on your view)

Basically, I'm unsure if I would stay here again. Next time we may try a different budget hotel since we're not picky, our only requirements are cleanliness and a comfortable bed!!

7 Thank MissJannaNY
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme during your recent visit in our area. I hope that you and your BF had a wonderful and hopefully productive time at the local casinos.

I’m glad that you found our management to be friendly. It is our intention that our valued guests always be treated in a friendly manor, but it is always nice to have that behavior confirmed by our guests themselves.

It is also nice to know that for the most part you liked your room.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Both house keeping and maintenance were notified about the brown stains on the bathroom walls of the room which you occupied and asked to see to see to their removal.

2) Housekeeping also received extra training concerning using a fitted sheet in making the bed.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Niantic/East Lyme. I think you will be very pleased.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Niantic
Sleep Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn Waterford
Rodeway Inn Waterford
#2 of 5 in Waterford
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Niantic / East Lyme? Share your experiences!