“This shop is an oasis of unique clothing, artisan jewelry and music galore :)”
Review of Tumbleweeds

Tumbleweeds
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Niantic
More attraction details
Owner description: The Funkiest, Most Eclectic Music and Boutique Shop Around! Best Selection of New and Used CDs on the shoreline...Lots of VINYL TOO!! Specializing in Blues, Jazz, Funk-Soul-R&B, Reggae, Rock, and More! Clothes, Tees, Gifts, Incense and More! Always Righteous Prices! Recycled & Local Made, Fair Trade and Organics! Niantic Items Too. COME CHECK US OUT! Open 7 Days-Year Round
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Tumbleweeds, a small, locally owned boutique is located on Main street in Niantic, CT. As a local resident, I have often visited this shop when looking for a unique gift (think: handmade super funky jewelry, beautiful clothing that wasn't made in a sweat shop somewhere, or a gift certificate so the recipient can choose a cd from their vast collection...). There are often ridiculously good sales on clothing- last week I bought a summer dress- one that I wouldn't even be able to find in the mall- that was on the 50% off rack and was so beautiful I couldn't resist buying it even though there was snow on the ground yesterday. In a couple months, I will discover it in my closet and be glad that I did. The owner of the shop is usually there herself, and is not only friendly, but ever so helpful with suggestions about gift ideas, new music (she knows her stuff) and cool new stuff going on in town that I might not have heard about otherwise. Do yourself a favor and stop in!!!!

1  Thank Tamera E

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I am a record collector and shop in both 'brick and mortar' record stores and on line. I also sell off some of my doubles on line. I price the items to sell, unlike the owner of Tumbleweeds.

The organization of the back room record has gotten better, but the prices are totally unreasonable. For example, a poor condition copy of The Beatles white album (marks all over the vinyl, no poster, 2 out of 4 pictures) was going for $35.00! The album in that condition is worth about $5.00 on eBay.

If an album is not marked, then the manager scrambles to find the value of the LP in out of date price guides or on eBay-like auction sites. If you don't have a ball park price on what your stock is really worth, you shouldn't be selling it.

Spend your valuable time in stores that want to SELL their stock. The Time Capsule in Cranston, RI is way better...$1.00 bins of LP's and all unmarked LP's are $3.00 each. No, I am not affiliated with that store, I'm just a fan of GOOD record stores that realize they don't have gold in the racks.

12  Thank Vinylfan
Reviewed October 12, 2010

If you are in the Niantic area, you really need to check out Tumbleweeds. They have the most unique selection of clothes, jewelry, accessories, gifts... and lots more! Not to mention their HUGE selection of music... CD's and vinyl galore!! I go there often, as they are consistently getting in new items -- and they have great sales!! If you can't find what you want, just ask. The owner and employees there are VERY friendly and helpful. Its truely a store not to be missed!!!

2  Thank Meesh_3333
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I happened to be in the store to witness a very creepy weird scene. The store was really busy cuz a wicked end of the summer sale. So, you can pretty much hear everything that goes on. They have a section of old albums in a room off the back. Apparently the prices aren't marked on these, I found this out because some guy in that section was totally grumbling to himself about it. My friend and I were a creeped out by him. Then the guy goes to check out and starts giving the lady at the counter a really hard time. He went off on how he didn't like the way they ran the store, displayed things on and on. My freind and I started cracking up because we were like "then just leave" But he doesn't leave. He is just nasty to this lady. She was being way too nice. My friend and I got to the point where we were going to call 911. This guy was getting personal and nastier by the sentence. Anyway finally she told him (way too nicely for us) to just leave. The guy must have been having a psychotic episode or something. My freind and I were there and we never heard the lady say "suck it" or anything like that. We would have cheered if she did. We even told her she was way too nice. But she was smart. Who knows what he would have done if she had him thrown out. One of my freinds told me that the crazy guy posted a nasty review which is just plain cruel and not true. I don't usually write reviews but that is not right. The store is really cool and that guy was way outta line. That lady deserves a raise not a bad review. Kudos to the clerk! I will definitely go back there. They have awesome stuff and the sales are great! And when I do go back I'm go to tell the owner about this.

7  Thank Veroniriffic
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Tumbleweeds is certainly the most unique shop in town! It offers a wide variety of merchandise, attracting a variety of customers. I personally love the record collection!! There has got to be over 30,000 vinyl records in the back room! Although many of them are not priced (understandably), the employees are wiling to look them up should they not have a proper price tag on them. I am so lucky to only live a few towns away. Tumbleweeds has the best record collection I have ever come across by far! The record store has been around since the 70's which has allowed the collection to become extremely diverse over time. I love chatting with the owner, who always has interesting things to say about certain artists, not to mention great reccomendations for other artists I may be interested in. I always find something I want at Tumbleweeds whether it be music, funky clothes, or beautiful jewelry. Friends always praise the items I have from Tumbleweeds whenever I wear them, seriously without fail. Don't visit Niantic without stopping by Tumbleweeds!!

2  Thank beltintheblues73