“Fun kid spot”

Children's Museum of Southeastern Connecticut
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Niantic
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Make Discoveries!The Children's Museum of Southeastern Connecticut is a hands-on, interactive, educational place for children ages 9 and under to let their imaginations soar. Explore the Discovery Room featuring the Museum’s resident critters and science-based activities. Visit the Imagination Station and pilot a fishing boat, build skyscrapers with giant foam blocks, hop into an authentic fire truck cab, or explore the global market. Outdoor areas delight youngsters with a real tree house, obstacle course, whale drum, climbing wall, performing stage, and kid-sized zipline! Open year-round.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Learn and have fun at the same time. In door and Out door exhibits. Not the best children's museum we ever visited, but we do frequent often.

All reviews
"organ"
"gecko"
"rooms"

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great for the kids. Alot of activities of all ages. It changes usually yearly.

1  Thank John S
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Definitely a waste of money. Admission is too high and exhibits do not have much education value. After a few minutes of being there my kids wanted to leave. Save your money and take them elsewhere! People who are running this museum obviously have no idea how to entertain/educate kids

Reviewed April 2, 2012

It's a decent little museum for younger kids, I'd say under the age of 6. They obviously don't have a huge budget but they do a nice job creating low cost games and activities for younger children. My son had a birthday party here a couple years ago and it was a little disappointing that they would not allow birthday candles (they blamed local fire codes, which I can't say I'm all that familiar with). I got around that by having him blow out a cigarette lighter after everyone finished singing. They recently renovated their outdoor space and I haven't taken my kids to check it out yet, but it looks pretty nice driving by. Bottom line is that if you have kids kindergarten-age or younger, they will have a great time. Older kids will likely be bored.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I took our 17 month old for the first time yesterday. We have driven by it numerous times but wanted to wait until we thought she was old enough. I wasn't really sure what to expect since it's pretty small from the outside. The girls at the desk were friendly and our daughter was so excited right away! There were lots of things to do. She loved the train table and boat and the special area in back for kids under 3 that had a set of stairs to climb. She also liked stacking blocks and exploring the magnets and other things in the next room. We were even able to go outside since it wasn't too cold. I would say the outside is more for older kids with the tree house and zip line, but she liked watching. She really had a great time.
Today we went to Kid City in Middletown (see other review). We were very disappointed there and ended up going back to the Children's Museum of SEC because she had so much fun yesterday. And no, we are not affiliated with this place. We were just pleasantly surprised and our daughter loved it there. I would recommend this place for younger kids up to age 6 or so.

1  Thank Laurie L