“Good place, not cheap but fancy with great wines”

Sal e Pepe Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #2 of 57 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good place, not cheap but fancy with great wines”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I tried to get into this place 3 times but could not as on the weekends its so packed that you need reservation. The good thing is that if you come in and if they can't accomodate you they try to make up by giving you a coupon for a free appetizer (which could run upto $12). Also if you join their loyatly club they will keep sending you $10 off coupons which can help offset the high price of the food. Also I am a Costco member and I saw their gift card in my local Brookfield Costco ($80 for $100) and thought if Costco will carry them they must be good. I never bought it until Christmas time when the price dropped to $ 60-70. If Costco carries it, it must be good. So I bought $200 worth of card for $ 140. I tried to walk-in to this place (which is in middle of no where) but never could get in except the bar area which my wife didn't like.

The Good
The staff is extremly couteous and professional. They make you feel at home. I live in Brookfield and this place was just a couple of mins away and its near an ice cream place I love. So eating there would mean killing 2 appetites in 1 go. Also with its upscale look it helps impress your date :-) It is a cozy place but could be chattery on weekends.

The Bad
The food prices are high (not too high looking at Newtown standards - an entree would cost around $20-$30) but you can offset it by buying a gift card from Brookfield Costco. I went for a simple dinner and I ended up spending $120 (we got a fancy wine - which they have a good collection) and it costed me around $80 with Costco gift cards. This way I could impress the wife and had great food too.

The Ugly
Well - I can't say anyone of the waitress were ugly bacause they were gorgoeus and very professional. The only bad think I can think about is the long waits if you don't have reserverations. But in case you want to walk away they give you a coupon for a free appetizer next time. It worked for me because I live in the neiboring town but someone from outside may have an issue with that.

Overall a good experience and would return with 2 Costco Gift Cards

Newtown, Connecticut
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been here several times always hoping that I would have a reason to return beyond my spouse asking me. No such luck. It's OK, but certainly doesn't warrant going out of your way for.

• Visited February 2013
CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ONE OF THE BEST IN FFLD. COUNTY.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Basically I agree with all of the excellent things said about Sal e Pepe.It is a great place to bring friends & family.Try there Basil Martini, very refreshing.

Connecticut
“Nice lunch!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently went here with two friends and had a nice lunch. All of their pasta is homemade, so that makes this place special. Service was excellent.

Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“chincey”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

great food, but portions are way too small. I am not a big eater, but would need 2 of most meals to fill me. for the price, they should give you a better value. Also, they have lame beer choices on tap.

Visited January 2013