“Shockingly horrible”

Black Rose Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cedar Street
Transit: There is a public bus stop just a half block from our front door.
Wethersfield, Connecticut
“Shockingly horrible”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am stunned that there are positive reviews here - maybe I entered the Black Rose via parallel universe, or (more likely) maybe the Black Rose owners are posting their own reviews.

My experience was anything but positive. We were hit with the smell of stale beer the second we opened the door, and confirmed its presence throughout when our shoes stuck to the floor as we walked in. If we were there for anything other than a couple drinks we'd have left - if the public areas are that filthy I do not want to think about what the kitchen must look like.

Atmosphere was depressing, at best, and service was very slow, particularly considering the sparse crowd. I know Main Street Newington isn't exactly jumping, but with a little effort a better spot for food and drink can be found. This place is surely not worth the time or money.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank airrmann

Rocky Hill, Connecticut
“Great band, good luck”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Came to the Black Rose for their grand reopening. They had a great band and a good crowd. Sat at the bar with some friends and our server was very attentive. The food was slow coming out but it was understandable as I'm sure they were backed with the crowd. The food was just fair though as the sliders were dry and lacked seasoning, the boneless wings were very tasty and the nachos were OK. I hope the place makes it as it is a nice locale.

“Improving”
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This place is getting busier and busier each time I come. Here it is end of October and on a Friday night and there is a wait for a table. Now they have music available sometimes too. I just booked a reservation for New Year's Eve dinner. 4 courses with a surf and turf option for $45. What a deal!

“It was once again worth the wait”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My family and I went there on Froday night during restaurant week. We walked in and there was a 20 min wait for a table. I haven't seen a wait in a long time at any restaurant. We sat at the bar, tom the bartender took care of us. He made our drinks perfectly. We asked him if it was like this all night, as it was 830 when we arrived. He told us yes, he even told us that both the owner and the general manager were working stations in the kitchen to get the food out. We finally got seated at 845, Tanner was our server. He did a superb job. The food was very good, and more in portion than we thought it would be. They are giving normal size portions for their restaurant week menu. Finally a restaurant that understands the concept of restaurant week. The only complaint we had was it took about 20 min to get our appetizer. However we understood why with it bring so busy. The owner Pieta stopped by our table, to make sure we were ok. That is a great sign of a restaurant that cares. We will be back for sure, prob very soon!

“This is the best hidden gem in Newington.”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I went here for the first time on Sept 8, and I was truly amazed. The portions are huge and the prices are very low. You def get more than what you pay for. The bartender Angel also told us about happy hour that was starting on Monday the 10th. $2 & $3 beers, $3 & $4 mixed drinks and food specials too. The restaurant is still in its soft open, and when they have their grand opening on September 22.....this place is going to rock!