“Acceptable”

Holiday Inn Express Newington
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Newington
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel was affordable and the facilities were clean. A few negatives were that you could hear all of the traffic from the Berlin Turnpike even halfway back in the hotel. We went for breakfast just before 9:00 on two days (it ended at 9:30) and there were many items that were already gone and not replaced. On the third day, the foodservice Manager was there, so everything was restocked. Additionally as we were staying for one week, we asked that the bed linens be changed after the third day and left the card on the bed. We did this for two consecutive days, but they were not changed. We could tell as my wife's pillow still had the same mark from a magic marker. Overall an okay stay, but it could have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Peak times for truck traffic are 3:00 - 4:00 AM.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newington, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear jazzyrjk,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on housekeeping and the noise during your stay. We will address these points. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Newington

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Affordable, clean, GREAT BEDS, and spacious rooms. Some of the reviews address problems with the staff. I got the vibe that many of them are new, but they were very open to suggestions and wanted to know about my experiences at other Holiday Inn Expresses. I do agree with other reviewers that there is not enough lighting in the room. One more lamp would help!

Room Tip: We were on the North side and had no complaint about turnpike noise. Even kept the window open to e...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Location was close to our destination. Breakfasts were good and varied. Room was spacious and clean. The only problem I encountered was with the WiFi. Once I logged on I was never able to access the internet again until I left the motel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed two nights in this hotel for business. The pluses: The third-floor room was huge and very clean and quiet. The bed (there were two in the room but I only used one) was very comfortable. Cranking the AC up kept the room nicely chilled for sleeping. I was up and out before the breakfast room opened so only was able to grab a banana and some chocolate chip cookies from the lobby the first morning.
The minuses: The lighting in the room was poor, only three lights widely spaced and too low-wattage to actually light up the whole space. The bedside lamp had to be moved (and it was heavy) in order to shine enough light on the raight place for reading. If there had been two of us in the room, the person in the other bed would have been totally in the dark. Also, the decor's color scheme of dark taupe/chocolate/black made the room feel even darker and made it hard to find black luggage, jackets and shoes in the gloom. The fan in the bathroom was also very noisy and went on with the light switch. The last little annoyance was that there were three separate sets of instructions for connecting to Wi-Fi, all different.

I had little interaction with hotel staff during my stay, but the post-visit contact was also 50/50. A young man called me at home to say I'd left a bag behind (black bag +black chair +dark room = unseen) and they'd lock it up until I could come for it. No offer was made to ship the item, probably due to it's size. I thought I would be able to come the next day but ended up calling to postpone that a day. The female clerk who answered my call was very snippy, bordering on rude, when I asked to keep the bag locked in the office another night, as if this was a personal incovenience for her.

So in summary, physically this is a nice hotel for the price. If staying here again, though, I would bring my own brighter light bulbs and avoid contact with desk staff as much as possible.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ACRudnic
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newington, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear ACRudnic,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is very pleasing to know that you found the bed very comfortable. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with the lighting. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed here numerous times and enjoyed the comfortable bed and pillows. The noise level on the turnpike side woke us each morning. Stayed on the other side of the hotel last time and it was quieter. Breakfast was supposed to be until 10:30 but at 9:55 was completely put away. Also on the first morning, l no cinnamon buns and no pancakes. They just came and turned the machne upside down so you wouldn't ask. They could have at least gone right next door and bought 4 or. 5 dozen doughnuts. They need to order correctly and empower employees to do what's right for the guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the right side away from the highway
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 190MikeM190
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newington, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am very pleased that you have enjoyed the bed and the pillows. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered over the noise and over breakfast. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had to attend a funeral in the area. What an expensive area to book a hotel. A lot of them were out of my price range. The Holiday Inn Express was perfect. It had a decent rate. the room was rather large. The staff was very friendly and quite helpful. It has a very large and well maintained breakfast area. The hotel is located off route 5. Easy to find places to eat nearby. A great location with decent rates. Some the reviews complained about the lighting in the room. I found to be just right. Looked like they have repeat customers, the desk clerk knew by name!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Skip this one when searching! Never have I seen such rude employees. I should have known when previous to our arrival, I telephoned this location to request that our two room reservation have adjacent or even adjoining rooms and to request since we had reserved two CONSECUTIVE nights (one with points/one without) that we be allowed to stay in same rooms (not deal with checking in and out twice) and rooms be near an exit. The desk clerk who answered phone (Jonathan) was EXTREMELY rude to me and I even asked at one point in conversation if he would like me to book at a different location (only reason chose this particular location was it was closest to family reunion we were attending). He then changed his tone and became more civil. Upon check-in, Jonathan was at the desk and greeted us with a scowl. I gave him our name he practically threw a car info paper at me, I filled it out and noticed a charge for the room which I had paid for with points, I questioned him, he got nasty said computer "did it", I then read further and it wasn't even our name on the form! I gave it back to him, told him it wasn't ours and he threw it on his work area, I asked him to please destroy it, and he said "yeah, when I get to it". He then gave me TWO new forms which were the correct ones. I again asked him to destroy the incorrect sheet and after he stared at me for a good 30 seconds, he ripped it up. Not once did he smile, say thank you or acknowledge us as Priority Club members. Upon entering our rooms after walking down public hallway which was filthy, stained carpeting, not one of our requests were filled. We left our stuff in our rooms and proceeded to our family gathering. Upon return, I tried to get on to internet using free wi-fi with no success, I then got out my laptop and could not get on either. I went to front desk which now had different employee and asked if problem w/wi-fi, he replies 'I don't know". I told him nothing was working and he said I'm no techy, but I could come to your room and check it out-thought rather inappropriate? I declined and went to business center instead where there was NO chair, went back to desk, told him no chair and he goes oh, one I'm using is from there and he put it back into the room (next morning I noticed the desk chair was one from the breakfast area?). Tried to get on their computer and got unable to connect to internet. Returned to desk and told him, he made no further effort to "fix' and said would report it. Next day still did not work and neither did business center computer. Other issues: these are all NO SMOKING rooms, so why when I went to sit on one of the chairs at the table in the room were there ashes all over it? Additionally, the fan in the bathroom was really loud and when I looked up at it, looked like it had not been cleaned since hotel opened. We only stayed one night (thankfully had foresight to change hotels prior to arrival) and when we checked out Jonathan was back with his scowl, did not ask if stay was satisfactory or even thank you, told him about wi-fi and said had few other issues-he totally ignored me. I WASTED points staying here, furthermore I reported the problems privately on website and never even received an email or any type of response. Obviously there must be a lot of issues here. I am sorry I did not heed other poor reviews....if you do not want to waste your points or money, please listen to mine!

Room Tip: There could not possibly be a good room here unless they change their attitudes at the desk and CLEA...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AUNTGEELLL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newington, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear AUNTGEELLL,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newington
Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain
Best Western Hartford Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
#4 of 5 in Rocky Hill
Residence Inn Hartford Rocky Hill
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newington? Share your experiences!