“Holiday Inn Express”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Newington
Portsmouth
“Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice. We had connecting rooms for extended family. The hotel is new and very clean. Extremely courteous staff. We used the pool and that was great for the little ones. They supply plenty of towels at the pool.
The breakfast was ok for everyone and typical for free hotel breakfasts. The breakfast room is large with an area set aside for TV with couches and chairs. Coffee and fruit and cookies are available all day. The hotel was quiet, the rooms are very large and comfortable.
The only thing we noticed that could be improved on was that the trash in the breakfast room seemed to always be full. Otherwise, no complaints and would recommend this hotel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mascouche, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Courteous service, correct room.
The room I was lodging was on the first floor back side, it was very noisy all night long.
The breakfast is really poor, too much fast food ... But usual to express lodging

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago area
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

This was near to the business I was conducting and this was a new hotel so I went with it. The rooms looked good, beds and pillows were great. The problems were 1) heater ran no matter how low the temp was. First night I arrived and put temp at 70 and woke up sweating, next morning I put temp at 65 and when I returned 9 hrs later it was a sauna, turned temp to lowest setting and every 10 min or so it would turn on and push heat out. I turned it off and was fine. 2) bathroom exhaust fan, turned on when you turned on lights and was very loud, must be the cheapest made. 3) in closets the hangers were to small for the rod and perched on top. So when I moved a shirt aside the hanger and shirt fell. 4) the lobby and elevator decor and design was distracting and tacky.
It served its purpose as a hotel, I had a place to sleep and a place to shower which were clean and functional. But not comfortable and welcoming, the staff was just ok, did their job and the required pleasantries.

• Stayed November 2012
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great hotel for our purposes! 2 adults, 2 young kids who were visiting family in Ct. The hotel had all we needed and more. Nice staff, very accommodating. Pool was warm and clean. Rooms were a good size. Breakfast was good and the breakfast room was very comfortable. Cookies in the lobby for kid emergencies ;) They let us have a complimentary late check out. All at a very reasonable price. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CT
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was completely full on the night I got there. I had wanted to switch from a king to two queens but there was no room left to do that. No ones fault, I got the room I requested. It was a very nice room. We checked in and on the way to the elevator I noticed the empty cookie jar with a wrapper of store bought cookies thrown on top of the cookie jar. It would have been better to not put it out there until they had time to put the cookies in the jar. Looked very tacky for a decent hotel. Everything else upon check in was fine. The breakfast in the morning was a disaster. You would think that they would know the hotel was full and be prepared with extra personnel to help. They ran out of everything, even hot water. The girl there did the best she could and was very polite and helpful under all the stress she must have been under. Someone from the front dest should have been out there earlier to help her get breakfast ready. The hotel did say they would give a small credit, which I will let you know if they follow through on that. But again, management should make sure they have the staff they need when they have a completely full night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank crazyigues
Locust Grove, Virginia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great little hotel. The place is very clean and the staff is wonderful. It is a quick trip to Hartford and there are a few restaurants very near by. The breakfast buffet was quite large and very good so we could get out quickly every morning. The room was nice and large and very clean. The bathroom was very clean. Look for the jar of cookies in the lobby it is a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Endicott, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a clean nice looking hotel.. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The free breakfast was good and convenient.The desk staff were and manager were friendly and cordial.
The only complaint is that the staff and does not understand that a business must honor coupons that were advertised. We met other relatives who also stayed here for a funeral. They recommended this hotel because of the convenient location to the funeral home and because this Holiday Inn advertised with internet coupons which we printed and presented to the desk staff when checking Inn. The desk person and and manager told us that they could not honor the coupon because their "quota" of internet coupons were used up. I told them that the customer does not care nor know of any "quota" that was mentioned on the coupon, in which I showed them. The manager showed me the small print on the bottom of the coupon where it mentioned that the discount is based on availability. I asked if there are more rooms available. The manager said there were but we couldn't use the coupon. I said that there adveristising should be changed to reflect their quota system. I told them that if there are rooms available, then they should honor the coupon. I also mentioned they choose not to honor the coupon, which is not fair to the customer.My wife and I needed a room and had to be at the funeral home, so we took a room at full price. The manager menitoned that they honor AAA discount, which we did get. We went to our room, changed and headed out. The manager saw us on the way out and said that she would adjust our rate. We thanked her. The next day, the bill did not show any adustment at all. I explained what had happened to a diffrent desk employee at checkout and he agreed to finally honor the coupon. Why couldn't this be done at check in like any other hotel would do? It would have saved a lot of grief.

Room Tip: Great place to stay but beware of coupons not being honored.