“Charming”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Most of the reviews here are spot on. You dine here for the lovely view of the lake below. And you can dine outside on the patio. The food is rather good, including a large selection of food with a Swiss emphasis, but it is a little on the expensive side and the service can be spotty. A very romantic brunch/lunch, though privacy is limited.

2  Thank CTManny
There are newer reviews for Hopkins Inn Restaurant

Reviewed June 10, 2014

My favorite place for special occasions. Ride around Lake Waramaug, stop by a quaint vineyard and enjoy dinner on the patio at Hopkins Inn. Can't think of a nicer afternoon. My favorites are the escargot or clams casino for apps, trios filet of dinner and the toblerone sundae for desert. Its not modern but very charming.

1  Thank Justwright5
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My horoscope for the day advised me to "enjoy the good things in life today" so my wife and I put down our rakes and shovels and opted for a drive in the country. I was in the mood for some hearty Austrian fare and we remembered having eaten at the Hopkins Inn on Lake Waramong. The lake and Inn are located in beutiful countryside north of New Milford, southeast of Litchfield and south of several state parks, great for a leisurly drive even on a not-so-nice day weatherwise. We arrived at the Inn's restaurant at about a quarter past noon, and only one couple had been seated before us. The place looked like it had just reopened after a vacation. By the time our super friendly waitress had us seated and brought the wine, the place had filled up quickly and service got a little slower, but we did not mind. The wine, a Gruener Veltliner (Weingut Weixelbaum "Stephanus") from the Kamptal (we always look for a wine from the Kamptal, which imo produces the best wines in Austria), was spot on for what we wanted to taste. We opted for a seasonal soup of Baerlauch (ramps or wild garlic) blended into a mild but tasty soup; my wife had Wiener Schnitzel (made with veal as it should be, which in the US is not always the case) with Roesti potatoes and veggies of the day, which she enjoyed. I opted for the Lammhaxen (lamb shank, braised and slow cooked, with Roesti potatoes and veggies, nicely done and tasty, even if I like my Haxen (shank) made with pork and with a crispy skin, as served in Austria as well, and known as Schweinestelze.
Since we had our fill, we opted for a later desert and coffe stop after doing some exploring of the area and a visit to White Flower Farm (great spot, Google it). We went to the Arethusa Farm store and had their wonderful icecream; we also bought some fresh farmers cheese, so good on slices of a freshly baked baguette. All in all a wonderful day.

3  Thank Wolfried M
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We took my mother here for her birthday dinner (she was yearning for authentic German fare) and were seated right next to the fireplace. Our reservation was for 8pm on a Saturday night in December. When we arrived only one other couple was present and on their way out, so we had the place to ourselves and needless to say the service was exceptional. What we ate/what was good/what was eh...french onion soup - good; pate a la maison - good; chicken cordon bleu - never and I mean never again; filet mignon - good; wiener schnitzel - good; spatzle - eh. The bread is heavenly and the martini's rock! Overall it's a nostalgic restaurant filled with history (be sure to check out the pictures hanging in the entrance) and that makes it appealing. We will go back in the summer as the terrace overlooking the lake looked like a wonderful setting for lunch and then a stroll across the street to the winery or even a around the lake. I have given the Restaurant a 'very good' for it is indeed representative of quintessential Connecticut.

6  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The food was more pricey than web site .We had the scallops and they were cut in half to make portions look bigger.Staff not friendly.Best part of was the view of the lake. Inn itself was very quaint

3  Thank Cath430