“Interesting food, Poor Value”
Review of Community Table - CLOSED

Community Table
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wilbur Rd.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After having read many good reviews on travel and foodie sites, my wife and I were excited about trying Community Table, especially since her tastes run toward vegetarian dishes. I called the same day for a reservation and was told we could be seated at the community table. The space is beautifully laid out and decorated, and sharing a large table with a couple other couples was not a bother to us in any way. What was a big dissappointment was the prices versus the quantity/quality of food. My wife had a salad of some field greens and figs on a 6" plate for $12. I ordered a fish dish similar to a boulibasse - it had two 2-ounce pieces of haddock in it and 4 mussels for $28, and my wife had a small piece of chicken. My fish was ok, but I've had mussels just as good at Bertucci's. There's even a $3/pp charge for bread. The food was good, but the check for 2 was over $120 for 2 small appetizers, 2 entrees, and a glass of wine and a beer. We left hungry. I don't have a problem paying well for a great meal, but we had no exotic ingredients and very small portions. The cheese plate is $21 for 3 selections of cheese, really? There was a Maserati parked in front and we shared a table with some NYC fashionistas - perhaps they get enough business from the NY crowd they they can be indifferent to offering a meal at a fair price. When was the last time you paid over $60 pp and had to pay for bread and butter?

3  Thank Dave R

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The menu can be challenging to the unadventurous, but once you make your choices, the quality is superb!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our visit to Community Table was way beyond our expectations. The menu was small, limited in description, choosing to list the ingredients of each selection instead of its preparation. Had I not asked how the "halibut, mussels, cottage cheese, scallop, cream,dill, fennel, beach plants" was prepared, I'd have missed out on one of the most delicious meals I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. When our sweet server described it to us, it sounded strange, but intriguing. Every mouthful was a different taste explosion, each as good as if not better than the next. Hats off to the chef for being bold enough to mix these unlikely ingredients and doing it so uniquely. Every other menu item we ordered was fantastic.
GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went here on a Saturday night. Good crowd-mostly New York weekenders. It seems they were doing a small dish sampling menu. You would order three to four dishes-priced from $12-$20 each, and possibly share them with your dinner partner. My first dish was a kale, bacon, spinach soup. Looked great but very salty. It was downhill from there. Flavors did not meld together well in the other dishes, and service was very slow. Tip: when they ask if you want bread, say yes. We didn't. When we finally asked for some, it came out 20 minutes later. By then we were ready for our check. Hate to spend $150 for dinner and leave hungry.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great hip décor, delicious farm-to-table food, interesting crowd, a touch expensive, but I think one of the more interesting restaurants in that area.