“A Pleasant Dinner”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I ate here on Valentine's Day, after a spontaneous drive through Litchfield Country, CT. We were made to feel very welcome by the waitstaff, though we did not have a reservation. The dining room is quite unpretentious and has a lovely view of the river. I enjoyed their french onion soup. I had the chicken with spinach and mushrooms -- the chicken was very tender, but was accompanied by too much sauce. My husband loved the baked salmon special -- the salmon was cooked to perfection. Overall, our dinner was a lovely end to a fun day exploring Connecticut!

3  Thank geri_gal

Reviewed January 30, 2010

Food and service are great...However, there is like a mold problem in the dining room, and my husband has an allergy issue, so, even though it doesn't bother me at all, we can't eat there anymore. Someone told us the building had once been flooded somehow, probably when the river swelled.

3  Thank hcdinergirl
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I think that the food is to die for and the staff is so personable and friendly!!!!! The Prices are very reasonable. I would recommend this resturant to anyone who is looking for a beautiful dinning experience!!!

5  Thank david7908
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I went to River Bistro the day after Valentine's Day, along with our son. I was looking to eating at the small, quaint restaurant and eating authentic tapas. The inside of the restaurant is cozy and has a nice view of the bridge and river. We ordered several tapas to eat as appetizers -- clams with chorizo, mushrooms and a cheese platter. The cheese platter was small and had a small sliver of different cheeses -- brie, something that tasted like muenster, and a few others. I've had delicious cheese platters at other restaurants and was surprised because they're usually tasty, exotic cheeses. These weren't very impressive. The mushrooms tasted like the marinated, canned button mushrooms you buy at the supermarket. The clams seemed slightly overcooked, the wine broth was a bit salty, but the chorizo was tasty. As an entree, my husband ordered a seafood over pasta and I ordered prime rib to share with my son. About ten minutes after finishing our tapas, the waiter informed us that they kitchen was out of pasta and asked if my husband would like bowtie pasta or a toasted baguette instead of pasta. My husband was extremely annoyed, because we had already been a while since placing our order. He finally asked for spanish rice to go with his seafood. When we were finally served, I was disappointed to find that my prime rib was close to well done, instead of medium rare, as I had asked for. The waiter asked if I wanted it to be taken back, but, at that point, I didn't want to wait another 40 minutes for my food. Although it was overcooked, in my opinion, the prime rib was still tasty and juicy. The accompanying potatoes and vegetables were delicious. My husband, on the other hand, did not like his entree at all. The seafood was small and a bit chewy. Our bill totaled over $90. My husband said he was disappointed at the quality of the food and felt I've cooked much better spanish food at home. Needless to say, we won't be eating there again.

3  Thank pintsizedmommy
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Anybody who has ever been to Spain will enjoy revisiting the country's cuisine via the River Cafe in New Milford. Chef Carl Mattiace does a great job with Tapas which are available both in the dining room and in the bar. Shrimp, olives, potato tortilla, little enchiladas with pine nuts and raisins, skewered lamb, meatballs in sherry gravy, and olive oil cured Manchego cheese are only a few of the wonderful offerings. Drinks are good and not overpriced.

The dining room is intimate and stylish with white tablecloths and fine decor. Lighting is soft and a fireplace dominates one wall. The atmosphere is wonderful and unexpected considering the modest exterior of the building. I was one of a party of six on my last visit and had the Cavatelli with Shrimp and Scallops accompanied by a house salad. The pasta was delicately sauced with cheese, cream, and a touch of sherry. Others at my table had fish, steaks, or simply chose to have two or three Tapas. Most of us had a sensational red Spanish wine which was beautifully paired with my pasta.

I highly recommend this restaurant. Service is personal. Food is excellent; and diners feel appreciated by owner and staff.

4  Thank redeco