“Scenic, relaxing seaside B and B.”

Whispering Bamboo Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Morant Bay
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This B and B is located about 2 miles outside of Morant Bay St. Thomas. Trip Advisor needs to change their info as Port Antonio which they say it is in is over 30 miles away. The hotel is in a beautiful setting overlooking the Caribbean. There is no beach on site but beaches are nearby. The rooms are large and well equipped and the seaside ones have a great view and lovely sea breeze. Our room had a bad mosquito problem but our relatives in another room did not have this problem. This is a detail which management and staff need to see and deal with. As we came in late we did not bother the staff. There is a nice dining room and an area for functions and meetings. This property is just off the main road yet quiet. It caters to locals and tourists. It is one of a few in that area which accepts credit cards. We would stay at this property again.

Room Tip: We preferred the seaside rooms because of the view and the breeze.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travellingman1352

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Hi Mrs B.I should have done this a very long time ago,but sometimes we get caught up in our lives we forget to the little things that are ultimately big things.(And that is saying THANKS to one of the most wonderful people i will ever get the opportunity to meet in this life time.You made our wedding day truly a gift from god.Thanks Mrs Bennett.I love you. I write to all future guests who wishes to stay at the Whispering Bamboo you will never regret your decision.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jacqueline T
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Winston your awesome. He went the extra mile to have pictures taken of a nightengale bird he caught but then released with my younger daughter and son. Everyone made us felt welcome, I would recoment this resort fro anyone looking for a private get away. Felt very safe and at peace. My only advice is that WIFI should be throughout, especially in the ocean front rooms. The food was excellent. Already planning my next vacation. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with WIFI (wireless internet)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Andre H
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed there for one night as I was visiting the nearby area on business. The room I choose had a magnificent sea view, it was very spacious, with a nice decor. THe location of this hotel is a big plus, 2 min walk from the sea with a large empty beach when I was there. It is great value for money, the breakfast was good and I did order a take-away lunch which was full of flavour though it did take a little while to arrive. Would really recommend this place if you are staying in the area. I found it extremely comfortable and welcoming. The night was peaceful, I was only awake by the sound of sea waves!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Pabi_8
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Thank you Mrs. Bennett ans staff for making our wedding a memorable and awesome one.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LadySmith_11
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This place is like staying in a Jamaican home. They are there to help you in any way. You just have to ask. The night watchman accompanied me to Bath and found his friend to give me a massage, which made me feel very comfortable and safe. Food was beautifully prepared. The maid cleaned the room and linens daily, but half the time she put the sheet over the blanket, which was a little weird. We had to reverse it each time. Dinner on the porch or the gazebo is very comfortable (bring mosquito repellant). Could not make any phone calls other than local numbers. Overall after five days I felt like I was at home, getting to know the staff by name. Mrs. Bennett is a gracious lady and hostess.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Julaine
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at Whispering Bamboo in December 2007. It was part of a trip in which we traveled around the island and attended concerts. We came to Morant Bay for EastFest, and also to go to Port Antonio, which my husband had not seen.

Good feelings: the room was great, especially for the price. It had a vaulted ceiling, clean, cool tile floor, and a comfortable bed. The cable TV did not work at first but they quickly sent a repairman (barefoot!) and he fixed it. I also liked having the refrigerator in the room. We booked their most expensive room, but the difference in price was not much. The room was called a "suite", and I'm guessing that it was just larger, and had a little table with chairs. The air conditioning worked well and was very comfortable. Our room was very clean, and there were no bugs.

More good feelings: the food was very good, as previous reviewers have attested to. We ate there both nights, and ordered shrimp both nights - it was delicious.

Bad feelings: I had written to the resort a couple of weeks prior to our visit, and asked if they could arrange transporation for us to EastFest, and also for a trip to Port Antonio. I was told that Murphy could take us. We assumed that Murphy was a licensed taxi driver. It turns out that Murphy is the night watchman, and his truck was broken. We got different stories from different people about Murphy's attempts to borrow a vehicle to take us, one story stating that the vehicle he was trying to borrow was currently on the north coast. We asked if they could contact a taxi driver for us, and again, there was a lot of confusion, and nobody (at a hotel!) seemed to know a taxi driver. After several hours of this, we contacted our driver in Kingston, knowing it would be expensive, but not wanting to miss out on Port Antonio or EastFest. Our driver picked us up the next morning and took us to Port Antonio, and then he took us to EastFest that evening and crashed in our room. In the morning, after EastFest, we headed back to Kingston to meet the driver who was taking us to Negril.

The whole point of that long story is to point out the importance of having your own transporation if you stay here, whether it's a rental car or a driver you have personally contacted.

As other reviewers have stated, customer service was a mixed bag - sometimes friendly, sometimes not. They all seemed to be preoccupied, and it turned out it was because they were hosting a big wedding on the night we went to EastFest. I would not hesitate to have a wedding there - they operated like a well-oiled machine for that!

On our first night, there was some confusion about dinner - we pre-ordered, and arranged for a time to eat. When we arrived for dinner, we were given various stories about why it wasn't possible to eat at that time, but we suspect the cook was not there. We ate in the gazebo, a very charming location, and although it took a very long time to get our dinner (and we were very hungry), it wasn't so bad - it was nice romantic location. The next night we did get our dinner as arranged, but another guest was having problems. The morning after EastFest, we were asked if we wanted breakfast, and were told it was callalloo and salftish, so we said yes - again, we had problems actually getting the food, and we finally did get it when we left, but iit was fried fish - no callalloo.

The other disappointment was the beach/ocean. We had a nice ocean view from our room, but the balcony was not nice. Due to the last hurricane, the usual path to the beach was not available, and it looked like the beach really took a beating. The only way to get to the beach was over some very uneven terrain, and since I had recently broken my ankle I didn't want to risk it.

Overall, it was an ok stay, and the price was right. Improvements in customer service and refurbishment of the balcony would bump my rating up quite a bit. If you do need to stay in this area for some reason, this would be a good place to stay, but I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to staying in Port Antonio - I would stay in the Port Antonio area.

Note: EastFest was EXCELLENT - highly recommended! Each artist has a lengthy set, and it was well run and organized.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Barefoot Guest House
Barefoot Guest House
#1 of 2 in Morant Bay

Been to Whispering Bamboo Cove Resort? Share your experiences!