“Great Rooms. Excellent Value.”

Whispering Bamboo Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Morant Bay
Reviewed January 13, 2008

The review by Alphaman below is pretty spot on!

It's worth pointing out that this place is actually in St Thomas, not Portland or Port Antonio. My partner and I stayed in two different rooms on the upper and ground floors and both rooms were above average.

Pluses
- A stones throw from the sea
- Excellent value
- Upmarket feel.
- Great rooms. Modern furnishings. Big beds. Cable TV for my significant other.
- Generally clean rooms
- Breakfast. The best! Hearty & delicious!
- Friendly staff

Minuses
- Location. In a residential area so not much buzz. Definitely not a resort.
- Pot luck with the front of house staff but don't let crappy staff put you off! One of the front of house staff bent over backwards to get us a nice room, another made us go the extra mile for room service!
- The "sea view" was obstructed by lots of trees.
- Trek to the shops. Glad we had a car for shopping trips.
- The rooms and bedding could have been a little cleaner. Balconies were sadly neglected.
- Crappy beach.

Whispering Bamboo is easily the best guest house for miles and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank sshnuke

Reviewed August 7, 2007

This is not a resort. This is a high-end guest house situated on a beach (not much of a beach... the sand is rocky and the water is very seaweedy though you can swim). My wife and child stayed here because her grandmother who lived in St. Thomas passed away and we went for the funeral. We needed a clean place with A/C and this fit the bill.

The rooms are quite large and comfortable and are equipped with a television, refrigerator and A/C. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly ever day. Jamaica had some power outages while we were there but the place is equipped with a generator that brought back the power.

Breakfast and dinner must be pre-ordered as they are made to order... while there, we had traditional Jamaican breakfasts of ackee and saltfish and corn beef w/ bammy. The breakfasts were very good. We only ordered dinner one night. I had a whole snapper and it was some of the best fish I have ever eaten. My wife really enjoyed her chicken meal as well.

There were many families staying when we were there and it appears that most of the folks used the place as a launching pad for their various day trips. The inn is probably about 40 minutes from Port Antonio and cheaper than anything you can find there... though I'm not sure if you add the taxi costs, that remains true.

For us, it was perfect as we just needed a place to stay at the end of night after the various funeral activities. The staff was very helpful and accomodating... for what it is, it lived up to our expectations. I would suggest that they at least get a vending machine so that guests can get something to drink at night... there is nowhere to walk to to buy anything after dark and their kitchen only serves made-to-order items. If we go back to St. Thomas, I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank AlphaMan
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I enjoyed my vacation here so much that I decided to have my wedding here in a year. The people were so extremely nice. We had a hot plate of food for every meal. The views are amazing and the resort is right on the beach. I couldn't have dreamed of a better vacation. I loved it so much.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2006

It doesn't seem that they want any guests. Had to beg them to turn on the hot water. Our room had no phone which made communicating with the front desk difficult.
Kitchen is often deserted.
Rooms aren't cleaned properly.

13  Thank jo-jen2000
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Barefoot Guest House
Barefoot Guest House
#1 of 2 in Morant Bay

Been to Whispering Bamboo Cove Resort? Share your experiences!