“It was OK, and just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New London
CT
“It was OK, and just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

First off if you are traveling via GPS it may not recognize the address. I had to program mine for 299 N. Frontage Rd. Secondly, you will see the sign for Outback Steakhouse before you see the Holiday Inn sign, so make sure you make that turn because it's a one way street and will dump you back on I-95. Check in went smoothly enough, I was a Priceline customer and and paid $90/ night. Not a bad deal. I was put into a King non smoking room. Note: this hotel is a maze and you can and will get easily lost. Also should be noted: this hotel has NO ELEVATOR! For a women who is 8 months pregnant in the hottest week in August this is not good. The hallways and stairwells are NOT AIR CONDITIONED, so if you are looking to escape the heat on the way to your room, be prepared to sweat instead. Once in the room I promptly blasted the AC and am happy to report it worked very well. I needed more pillows then was offered in the room and they offer a variety of extra pillows, I called the guest services and they sent them up right away. I recommend the u-shaped neck one, it was a nice replacement for my foam one at home. Upon the 2nd night our room keys did not work, I added an additional night onto our Priceline reservation and apparently this reset everything and I had to re-check in... something I would think the hotel staff could have caught when I initially checked in but whatever. SO we went down re-checked in and got new keys to which only 1 worked and we had to try several times before it would actually open our room door. This would not be SO irritating if the hallways were air conditioned, instead we sweltered in them while trying to open our door. Other then the above for the price we paid the hotel was OK. But I won't return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ErickaO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for one night with 2 kids 11 and 13. This was our 2nd stay here. On the good side, the beds were very comfortable with fresh white linen and blankets and lots of soft fluffy pillows. The bathroom was stocked with plenty of thick towels for the whole family and the usual soap, shampoo, etc. The room was clean and in good condition and about what you would expect in size for a normal Holiday inn room with 2 double beds. Front desk and breakfast service was very friendly and plesant. There was a good sized pool and spa and small snack/convenience stand in the lobby. The breakfast was not gourmet but the kids were happy with the fruit, cereal, muffins, and bacon and eggs at the buffet and the coffee was good.

The not so great, is we checked in around 4 pm and had a to wait about 20 minutes for our room to be ready and when it was it had a strange smell at first (which later seemed to go away). Other people checking in who weren't waiitng for 2 double beds had much faster check in. The pool water could have been a bit cleaner (the pool area was clean) and the spa wasn't working the 2nd day. The fitness room was 2 bikes and a treadmill, which wasn't working. The bathtub looked a little worn out compared to the rest of the room and I discovered the drain stopper was broken just before we were leaving when I tried to take a quick bath. I didn't call for it to get fixed because we were getting ready to leave.

Overall the very confortable beds and pillows and friendly service made up for the lack of a good fitness room and a wait at check-in. If you are going to be in the area and want a place that is close to mystic and mohegan sun with a pool that is under $150 this is a good choice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
vassalboro, maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

We have just returned from visiting colleges. One of our stops was New London, CT where we visited Connecticut College. Our room was fine, the beds were quite comfortable and the staff went out of their way to make our short stay an overwhelming success. Kimmy, the front desk clerk could not have been more helpful. Breakfast at the hotel was delicious, although a bit expensive. The shuttle at the hotel took us to the college, picked us up at the college, drove us to the hotel to pick up our luggage and then transported us to the train station. They went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that we were able to do what we needed to do. I would not hesitate to stay there again should my travels take me back to New London.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

I was garanteed a non smoking room and when I checked in with my family only smoking rooms were available. Our family was conjested all weekend due to the smoke. It took 45 minutes to deliver a fourth set of towels which I actually went down to the front desk for and had the manager tell me that it would be $10. The staff was not very friendly and often ignored you. The waiteress at the restaurant chased us down to see were her copy of the receipt was for our breakfast and then she took our copy because she couldn;t find the yellow one for her records. I had to pay over $50 for a crappy breakfast buffet and then they charged extra for a cup of coffee. Over all the experience was terrible.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GolfTraveler19

Travelers are raving about these New London hotels

Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

my stay was for a week it was nice, clean, front desk very polite.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

If you want granite and new carpet, go to the Hilton Garden Inn across the river in Groton. If you want to save a few bucks this is your hotel. Yes, it's old and has a few miles on it, but the basic bones are still good. Rooms are basic -- nothing fancy -- but it has a small bar and hot meal service, something other hotels in the area at this price point doesn't have. Just down the street from Connecticut College and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy it's a good spot if your looking for a place to sleep while spending busy days checking your child into school. It's short drive across the river from the Navy Sub Base in Groton so this might be a value spot when visiting a sailor at the base. Parking can be a little tight in the small rear parking lot and your view is of the busy highway, but if the view was that important you would have booked at one of the 4-stars in Mystic. Stayed there four nights and don;t have any negative comments. Basic "meat & potatoes" lodging.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Port-A-Fan
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

A perfectly fine room--right on track for the Holiday Inn. Remember when average hotels had a lounge? This one does. They have a breakfast restaurant, too--I didn't use it, but saw plenty of others doing so.

If you have kids, ask to stay in the 500 section, which is first floor in the "other" building. The "other building" has the pool. Also, ask for a room with a microwave/fridge. Some have them. There is a grocery store a two minute walk away, so a fridge can save you a little money.

I got the room on Hotwire, so I don't know what the rate was, but I would stay there again

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!