“Close to casinos. Good for a night or two!”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New London
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel was adequate for our needs, as we were only staying one night. We were a bit nervous when we opened the door and the bed looked a little disheveled. After checking it over, it appeared to be OK. I think the maid made it fast and didn't put much effort in making it look tidy. The shower had good water pressure and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was basic but adequate, however could have had a few more options (like fruit or yogurt). They could have used another staff member on, as many things needed to be refilled and the one staff member was trying to do her best in keeping it maintained. I would stay here again if it were for one night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a busy day, so we did a quick check of the room, then headed out for our day. Yes, I saw the used soap/shampoo/conditioner on the bottom of the shower, but I just thought "Whatever. Everything else seemed clean". I went through my usual "Anthony Melchiorri check" in between the bed and the sheets. I moved the pillows, but somehow missed looking on the reverse side!
We didn't see the back of the shower curtain or the inside of the folded towels until the next morning. And we didn't see the blood stain on the pillow until moving the pillows around to go to sleep.
It wasn't the best sleep. We were right by the entrance, and heard people coming in and out all night long. It was thankfully only for one night. The staff was very nice though.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you rooms 501 or 502. You will hear the entrance door open and close all night...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Starwoodinpa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We got the discounted rate. This hotel would not rate the full price. 2 1/2 star seems not to mean a lot. The pool was closed for repairs. The gym seemed OK, didn't see anyone use it. The breakfast was sad- no healthy choices, except for apple and orange. There were no curtains to draw closed against daylight and the bright light of a safety spot light hanging on wall outside window. It was quite light in the room all night. Luckily we were in an upstairs room and had no people who could have looked in from the outside. The walls were not as soundproof as expected and as other reviewers noted, the motel was hard to find- we happen to see it as we turned around on the street and saw a sign behind another hotel.

On the plus side, the beds were comfortable, soft clean sheets, Nice supply of towels. Carpet and tile was all clean and no bad smell. The staff was very pleasant and professional. I had called earlier about being late, Dianne had passed it on to the receptionist when I checked in. Upon checking out, they asked if the stay had been good and took down notes when I mentioned the need for drapes.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for "drapes"-
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This motel is adequete for a night's stay. Yhe room was good size and reasonably clean. I asked for a quiet room and the desk clerk did her best but loud people and thin walls create too much noise. The breakfast was a little short on variety. We didn't try the pool or exercise room. The location was easy to get to but a little difficult to find restaurants. Although the room was over $100, all the other motels were equally expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was in New London to visit my brother who is in the Navy. I booked Clarion for 2 nights through Priceline for $60/night. Since I was only here for 2 nights I didn't want to spend $100+/night so I took a chance and I was pleasantly surprised!

The room was lovely. Nice decor, comfortable bed (I had the king room), and quiet. I didn't take advantage of the pool or breakfast, although I did see a sign that said the hot tub was closed.

The only thing that I can complain about is the 2nd hook that is on the bathroom door. They have a high hook and a hook about halfway down and that thing is evil! My brother ran into it when he was in my room and then right before I left, I did the same. I walked out of the bathroom and it got ahold of my arm and didn't let go. Seriously my arm still hurts!!! I would suggest removing that hook because I'm assuming my brother and I aren't the first people that it's happened to!

All in all I would definitely stay here again and have already recommended this to another family member who is coming to visit. It was super close (about 8 minutes) to the Navy base.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013

You get what you pay for at a place like Clarion in New London. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. That is about the only nice thing i can say after dropping my hard earned cash at this place. The rooms were average and clean. The cable television didnt work! We got 1 channel. This was a problem since we have 3 boys who needed to wind down from a long day of traveling. The swimming pool is in another building not connected to the hotel and you have to leave and walk across the street to gain access. The breakfast was average. Again, the staff was great and helped us as best they could. We were offered a new room and discount. Given the chance to do over, we would have stayed at Best Western in Mohegan which was not far away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

i got a great deal on priceline for august 28. i stayed one night. the room was clean and the bathroom had nice hot water where i took a relaxing bath. The hotel staff was very warm and friendly. the only negative thing i could say is that the bed mattress could use some updating. I have slept on worse mattresses and on better. elsewise i was very pleased with my stay and i would certainly stay again!

Room Tip: i prefer the ground floor-easier to get my traveling bag in and out.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford
Best Western Olympic Inn

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!