“Do NOT stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New London
Oceanside, California
“Do NOT stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our first room had a broken toilet that my husband had to fix (the maid then broke it again). We were put into a room that had an odor. After we were unpacked and settled the second time I discovered the source of the odor... There was extensive mold in the ceiling. The ceiling was black (the hotel tried to hide it by painting the ceiling white). The price was attractive, but the room was disgusting. Beware of room 314.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank SueVogt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had to stay in this roach motel for two weeks while I was on a business trip... My flight to TF was delayed and I ended up arriving at the hotel at 2am. I was to tired to notice much in the beginning except the walls smelled like mold. The guy at the counter didn't even bother to help me carry my 70lb suit case or anything else I was struggling to drag upstairs. The breakfast eggs, though they tasted good, were always cold & the sausages really greasy, the cereal was placed in dirty containers and the milk was sour!!!! The sugar packets were so old the sugar itself was crystallized!!The staff was terrible to me and my coworkers, the manager kept calling me Mami and winking at me like I know him???? The keys absolutely NEVER worked and there were BUGS ON MY BED!!!!!!! Please don't stay here and DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS! It's a thirty year old hotel and needs to be torn down! Thank God our company moved us to the Springhill, we're so happy! And Jeff Schoolcraft, the manager, is the sweetest person ever!

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Carolina199

Travelers are raving about these New London hotels

Spring Hill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night before our vacation at the shore began. We were exhausted, having flown from Tampa to Green and then driven to New London. So, we did not pull back the blankets or sheets until well after midnight. We had a room with two double beds. One of the beds was infested with bed bugs...we could actually see them moving from the head of the bed into the middle. The other bed did not appear to be affected, so I used my beach towel to lie on and covered myself with my clothes. My husband slept sitting up in a chair. We unpacked our suitcases on the deck of our rental and hoped that we had not brought any bugs or eggs with us.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank janty303
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

$100 with tax is what attracted us to this hotel and we got what we paid for on a weekend overnight stay. The room and bathroom was clean, spacious and comfortable. The hallways and lobby were un-vacuumed and cups left by guests were left on end tables in the lobby near the bar. Not a welcoming experience. Breakfast was so-so. Two types of cold cereal, bagles and mini-muffins, loafs of store bought sliced bread, scrambled eggs and sausage patties. The staff was struggling to keep up with the large number of guests.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bily_Bob
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway to Mystic, CT and wanted to watch our budget. BIG MISTAKE. We should've paid for the more expensive hotel in the area. My thought was that we weren't going to be in the room for long and so, didn't need an expensive room. This trip has taught me a lesson. NEVER go cheap on a hotel room. It's not worth it. I'd rather have piece of mind than worry if I'm going to catch a disease from the room! Let me tell you why...first of all, the way it looked from the outside as we drove up, made me cringe. I apologized to my husband as we parked the car to check in. Yeah, that bad. The lobby smelled like old food. The room was not ready at 2:30 in the afternoon due to a back up because of an event the night before. The ladies room (in the lobby) had no soap. The room...looks good from afar, but far from good! My husband pulled down the covers to rest and found a dried, crusty patch of pubic hair right in the middle of the sheets!!!!!!!! The good news is that they sent someone over right away to change the sheets. But we slept fully clothed and with socks, at the edges of the bed all night. So gross!!!! The bathroom wallpaper was fuzzy. Yes, fuzzy. (see picture) The sink had no drain stopper. The "Forget Something?" sign was worn out beyond recognition. There were only 2 bath towels and 1 washcloth. I called for more bath towels and they never came. I called for them again in the morning and the lady at the front desk told me she was alone and so, I need to go get them from her at the front desk! I did, only to find that they had yellow stains all over them! Ugh! The continental breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage patties, juice, bread, bagels, mini muffins & coffee. Sounds fine, but I wouldn't eat it. Dunkin Donuts was around the corner. POSITIVES: The AC worked well. The staff was nice.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a 4 star hotel...its worth every penny!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Islandtime11
Wallingford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel was very reasonably priced and was fine for the money you pay. The rooms were spacious, beds were comfortable, nice padded head back behind the bed. Nice furniture, bathroom was small but clearly they had tried up updated it a bit. Bathroom was clean and housekeeping was excellent. Slightly musty smell to the place, but not a big deal. Front desk staff were very nice. Continental breakfast was not that great, but fine if you want to grab a quick bagel. They did have some decent scrambled eggs and sausage. Excellent location, quick to the major local stuff (Submarine museum, downtown New London which has nice little shops, ice cream places etc.) The tv in the room was the only major bummer. One of those old "box" type tvs and very dark, hard to see. Even a small, cheap flat screen would have drastically improved my rating. All in all though, for a cheap, clean room, this place was fine.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mandy s
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

This older hotel has nice updated rooms and a Wonderful Staff! Just like most of the people in New London, they are very polite and extremely helpful. In fact they all went out of their way to help in any way they could. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New London CT

• Stayed July 2012
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!