“Excellent Coffee & such!!”
Review of Bean & Leaf

Bean & Leaf
Ranked #48 of 148 Restaurants in New London
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A friendly, comfortable coffee house featuring our own freshly roasted, fairly traded, organic coffees, teas, and great food! We host local events and feature music several nights each week. We strive to offer the highest quality products to our customers at reasonable prices. We bake our own bread, many of our pastries are made in our kitchen, we also make our own soups, using healthy fresh, high quality ingredients. If you ever have a concern or negative experience, please let us know immediately. Your satisfaction is our primary goal.
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Found it on the advise of our hotel concierge. Great coffee & deserts and they also serve an excellent breakfast. All esprresso is made by hand brewing and not by automatic machines (as in Starbucks) so the taste is far better. Regular coffee is also top notch.

1  Thank capemaytraveler

Reviewed August 29, 2009

I love the Bean and Leaf. Great food, great service, awesome music performers on Saturdays and poetry on Sundays. Also features artwork by local artists. Very community oriented. Would recommend to anyone!

Reviewed August 22, 2009

I also read Port-A-Fan's review and strongly disagree. I'm at B&L (me & my friends's shorthand for Bean & Leaf) multiple times a month. I look forward to going each and every time. If someone is "expecting a starbuck's like experience" then go to starbucks. B&L is a small indepenently run coffee shop that unlike chains supports the community in many ways. Those in the area know that B&L is the place to go for a good cup of coffee, friendly atmosphere, good music, good poetry, and on certian days help for knitters. They support the community in many ways also. Hey, where else is there a kids friendly area?

1  Thank CT_resident09
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I, too, read Port-A-Fan's review and cannot believe their conclusions. I frequent the Bean&Leaf Cafe; it is my favorite spot to hang out and get great hot cocoa at. Their atmosphere is the best in town-very laid back and welcoming. There's a variety of seating types including bar/counters, tables, and couches. I can't say anything for their coffee and tea because I only ever drink the hot cocoa, but I can say that the hot cocoa is the best I have ever had. Also, their ginger-snap cookies are addicting!

Anyone looking for a Starbuck-like experience should just stick to Starbucks. If you're looking for a place with actual soul and would like to support the local community, Bean&Leaf is THE place to go!

1  Thank pocketchange_62
Reviewed August 13, 2009

In response to Illinois review:
The visitor's first mistake was expecting some "Starbuck-like" experience. Bean & Leaf is not a Starbucks. This is a family-owned establishment that supports all things local and its New London community. For that reason, its workers and patrons find it less disdainful when approached by real humanity (mentally ill and/or homeless people) that is ever present in all cities, small or large.
Bean & Leaf has also been consistently active in supporting the New London arts community, by hosting local artists, musicians, and poetry groups---Mr. Illinois might have found the local poetry slam repugnant, but completely missed the fact that Bean & Leaf is doing an awesome thing by promoting and maintaining the livelihood of artistic voices.

Come to Bean & Leaf if you:
-are not afraid of meeting real people.
-want to see an establishment that is actively doing its part in maintaining its community (while at the same time fostering environmentally responsible practices!).
-would like to taste delicious fair-trade coffee that is roasted on premise.

Don't Come to Bean & Leaf if you:
-are really so self-absorbed that being accosted by people less fortunate than yourself ruins your day.
-are not open-minded enough to listen to the free opinions of others.
-are looking for a Starbucks experience

4  Thank CasperLee