“Not one of the best Holiday Inns”

Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here to get an early morning ferry to Long Island. Very convenient for the ferry, but not the best neighborhood. Nice to have a bar/restaurant, but being charged $2.50 for hot water for my tea bag was a bit much - no free breakfast. The room was OK, but the halls to the rooms smelled very musty and the restaurant had some sort of dehumidifiers. The room was OK and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chicagoehc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Chicagoehc,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the conditions you experienced in the room during your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm normally a Marriott/Courtyard patron so this was my first stay at a Holiday Inn in quite a while; it was the only option while I was staying in New London on my way to Fishers Island. On the plus side, the front desk attendant upon my arrival after 8 pm was friendly and professional. However, things changed with the room. While it was clean and comfortable, I had problems with the following: (1) the alarm clock only seemed to work with an i-phone -- not everyone has one of these so the clock should work regardless; (2) the knob on the sink was loose and came off; (3) the toilet ran periodically during the night; and (4) the window did not have a blackout curtain - only a sheer one - this did not keep out the light from the street light or the sunlight in the morning. I did sleep comfortably. I used the fitness center in the morning which was very sparse - 1 treadmill, 1 stairmaster, and 1 exercise bike. As a treadmill guy, they could spring for a second treadmill. There was a small restaurant associated with the hotel which did a fine job for breakfast. My rate was about $155 a night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Woodstock1968,

Thank you for your considerate review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We are sorry for letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a newly remodeled place you can tell. The thing of it is, you have what appears to be quite the large apartment complex out the back, and a quiet, semi sketchy looking industrial downtown out the front. However, on my stay here we came back to the hotel at 1am and did not notice any shifty people hanging around, or any menacing characters walking the street. It was actually pretty quiet. You are close to the water, and this is also a very easy "on/off" to get to the roadways leading you out to 95 or to Mohegan Sun. There are no attractions to walk to or quality dining in eyesight of the hotel, so if that is what you want, don't stay here. There is also no rolling grass, it is in the middle of a downtown city block. However, it was clean, quiet, the staff was night, they have a nice bar going, a huge lobby, it was pretty nice. I see a lot of negative comments from back when but I urge people staying there now to come on a write a nice review, because I see this as an up and coming hotel which I for one would recommend and also stay at again myself.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shopperhopper
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is now a Holiday Inn. It has been renovated and everything looks new. More importantly, the staff was very accommodating. We stayed 5 days and by the time we left it felt like home. We stayed during the big SailFest weekend, but we weren't slighted on service. If we ever go back, I'm sure we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and it was very quiet- the sea gulls were loud every where.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TGiF01
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here at the Holiday Inn New London North for one night. We booked here due to price and the shuttle service to Mohegan Sun.

When I was researching where to stay I saw a travel site had the room type we wanted for a cheaper price than what was on the hotel's website. I called and they looked into it and gave me the lower price.

When we were getting closer to the hotel we had no idea what to expect because it seemed to be in an industrial/factory area. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. There was a large beautiful lobby and the staff were so welcoming. We each got a complimentary bottle of water and a snack of our choice from their pantry. We were also pleased to see there was a bar off the lobby. We planned to have a pre-show cocktail before we took the shuttle to Mohegan Sun. The staff advised us to sign up for a time for the shuttle to the casino so we would be able to go when we wanted.

Our room was recently renovated and beautifully appointed. I did all my usual checks for cleanliness and critters. Nothing found...yay!! Our view was nothing great but we really didn't care since we were heading out anyway. There was a place for a refrigerator and microwave but the space was empty. We really only needed it to keep our water cold so we figured a trip to the ice machine wasn't the end of the world. Only problem with that was the ice machine on our floor did not work so we had to go one floor up to get ice. The bed was so comfy and I loved that we had pillows of different thickness to choose from. The bathroom was spacious and they had Bath & Body Works toiletries for us to use. Air conditioner worked really well. Television was easy to use and had a lot of channels to choose from.

We went to the bar for a drink a little while before our scheduled shuttle time. I told the bartender that I was in the mood for something tropical and she whipped up some concoction that was really yummy!! The seating was very comfy and atmosphere was quiet.

The shuttle was $15 per person (round trip) but it was less expensive than a taxi. It was right on time and the shuttle driver was a very nice man. We were riding with 4 other guests to Mohegan Sun. The shuttle was a rather old van. The step up to get into the van was about 2 feet high. I have a physical handicap so I asked if he had a step stool so I could get in the van. The other women riding had to have their partners assist them into the van as they had short summer dresses on and there was no lady-like way to get in the van. There was not a stool but the driver immediately went to the front desk and asked if there was something we could use. They searched for about 5+ minutes and came out with a small two step ladder from the maintenance department. It was not the prettiest thing but it got the job done. They were all very apologetic and the driver told me he would drive me in his car if he could not find a stool. It was not necessary but it was a very nice thing for him to say. When we were ready to go back to the hotel the driver recognized me and got the stool out without me having to remind him. I hope that my experience prompted them to get an appropriate step for guests to get into the van. A new vehicle wouldn't hurt either. It was a little rough but it got the job done.

Check-out went very smoothly and we were on our way home. We will use this hotel again when we make another trip to Mohegan. Also may stay here and go to Mystic Aquarium. It is in close proximity.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Anabelly,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pay the price to be close to everything! Close to the waterfront, all restaurants, shopping. Ti is now a Holliday Inn, lobby and rooms are lovely. We had some noisy teens in the hallway, but one call to the front desk and it was quiet the rest of the visit. Desk staff were warm and welcoming. There were two wedding events going on at the time of our visit... It didn't overwhelm the rest of the guests! Bathrooms are spacious and nicely updated. Just a real good find.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet and easy to navigate, my sister's room was 316, right next to the ice machin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank beemainia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our group may have hit this place at the wrong time. We had a lot of trouble making reservations and then a couple of months later we had similar difficulty getting our reservations confirmed. They were changing reservation systems from the New London Plaza Hotel to Holiday Inn so there seemed to be a lot of confusion. The good news is that all rooms were available at the time of check in. Unfortunately, our group was not together (on the same floor) so that was a bit disappointing.

Upon check in, we inquired about the surrounding area - restaurants, things to do, etc. The person at the front desk advised of a couple of dining options but told us "don't go out back. That's a bad area". Indeed she was correct - it was an unsavory neighborhood. But we did not plan to be outside after dark so we didn't so much mind. Although we did have one person in our group run out for something around 10PM and when he returned to the hotel and parked his car out back, he was approached by a "gentleman" asking how much he could get for $20. He assured this "gentleman" that he was not the person he was looking for and walked back into the hotel.

When we arrived the pool was out of service due to a leak. However they did have it up and running later that night. The rooms were very large - I was impressed and the renovations make it look modern and clean. I had no issues with my room but three folks in the group had issues with heating/cooling. Either the rooms were too hot or too cool and the hotel front desk could not fix it. Only one of them was able to be re-accommodated into a new room. The food was fine and the hotel workers that I encountered were friendly and helpful.

All in all, it was a fine enough stay - there isn't much else in the area that is much better so this is a good option considering it is clean and renovated and reasonably priced. Just don't go out back late at night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tantricfan32
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear tantricfan32,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.

Hampton Inn - Groton
Hampton Inn - Groton
#2 of 14 in Groton
Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Been to Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area? Share your experiences!