“Tasty food and German beer”
Review of The Seehund

The Seehund
Ranked #13 of 145 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, German, Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Norwich, Connecticut
“Tasty food and German beer”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We went here for dinner to try it out, and weren't disappointed. The servers were very friendly to begin with, which is always good. They bring you out bread and honey butter to start, which were very good. Of course we had to order some German beer on tap, which is well worth the visit alone! Anyway my husband had the special, which was an apple stuffed chicken with vegetables. He wasn't disappointed, it was a huge plate, well cooked, and very good. I had the Jaegerschnitzel which comes with veggies and spatzle. It was very good as well, a huge portion, that could easily be made into two meals! My only complaint was, the pork was overcooked just a smidge, but it still had good flavor and with the sauce overtop, it was delicious, as were the sides. We topped it off with a dessert, and split a German type chocolate cake, which was divine! It was multiple layers, sliced thin and laying over, with layers of cake and the typical German frosting with coconut, and drizzled with chocolate as well. It was a great end to a good meal. I hope this place does well. The pricing is maybe a bit more for the area, but the portions you get for the price are well worth it, since it can be two meals. We would definitely go back.

1 Thank nutsgoalie

Brooklyn, New York
“Seems like a good bar but not for German food”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere, nice servers. German specialties just average. Good german beer on tap. Probably fine if you get pub grub.

2 Thank Mags2033
Clinton, CT
“Good German Food in New London”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Really enjoyed dinner here. They need to expand the strictly German offerings, but this is a good start.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank James C
“Epic!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I was visiting new London while on business and had a craving for some homeland (German) cooking. This place hit the spot right on. Fantastic atmosphere, incredibly friendly staff and the food was to die for. I had the latkas and Jaegerschnitzel. Both done perfectly! I would come here again and again if I didn't live out of the country.

Ausgezeichnet!

3 Thank Andreas H
Portland, Oregon
“Outstanding Find”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were delighted with our evening at The Seehund in New London. The place is charming and very traditional in design, with dark burnished wood walls, soft lighting, comfortable seating arrangement, and REAL cloth tablecloths and napkins. The staff was cordial and attentive, providing excellent service.
And the food! My husband had the sauerbraten - the best he's ever had - served with mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables. I ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel and was not disappointed! Tender thin pork filet, lightly breaded and served with wine demi-glace and tiny mushrooms. The spaetzel was cooked to perfection and I tasted fennel for the first time in my life; now I'm a fan. Prices are very reasonable for the generous portions.
The Seehund is now on our short list of "best" places for dinner.

3 Thank Joanna V