“Fried Clams to die for!”
Review of Fred's Shanty

Fred's Shanty
Ranked #7 of 147 Restaurants in New London
Reviewed August 9, 2013

These were probably the best fried clams that I have ever had! Had to go back the second night for more. The clam strip dinner was too much food, lots of French fries. Cole slaw was decent, I normally don't eat it, but managed to keep eating mine until it was all gone

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Driving along the waterfront in New London at mid-afternoon, I came upon Fred's Shanty. I stopped by.

When I saw the seafood coming out the pick-up window. I regretted having lunch and having to be miles away by dinnertime. But, I did have a soft serve twist here. It was very good. I sat at a picnic table under an awning. The waterfront location on the Thames River was scenic.

I will return for fried seafood next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good burgers and also seafood, right on the water, with lovely views. Nice residential surroundings.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been going to Fred's Shanty for many years. The prices are good and the place has old world charm. One orders and then sits at one of the many picnic tables (some with umbrellas or under the roof) till your number is called. Food is delicious! We see all sorts here, families, young folks and seniors. Mostly we go on a Sunday for lunch. I love the fish & chips. The fish is delicious and the chips are hot and crisp on the outside without being greasy. It is harder to get good fish & chips than you think. This is so good we drive an hour and a half to get here. So worth it. The view from the verhanda is very peaceful. We highly recommend a stop here if you are in the area, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Fred's has been around for years and we have been going for years. It isn't summer, if you haven't been to Freds yet. They are famous for their footlong hotdogs, but the seafood is really good too. They are a bit pricey, but all the little outdoor seafood places are.