“Fresh Seafood & Hot Dogs on the Seashore!”
Review of Fred's Shanty

Fred's Shanty
Ranked #7 of 144 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, CT
“Fresh Seafood & Hot Dogs on the Seashore!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been going to Fred's Shanty for many years. The prices are good and the place has old world charm. One orders and then sits at one of the many picnic tables (some with umbrellas or under the roof) till your number is called. Food is delicious! We see all sorts here, families, young folks and seniors. Mostly we go on a Sunday for lunch. I love the fish & chips. The fish is delicious and the chips are hot and crisp on the outside without being greasy. It is harder to get good fish & chips than you think. This is so good we drive an hour and a half to get here. So worth it. The view from the verhanda is very peaceful. We highly recommend a stop here if you are in the area, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013

ct
“Quick Outdoor "Can't wait for summer" dinner”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Fred's has been around for years and we have been going for years. It isn't summer, if you haven't been to Freds yet. They are famous for their footlong hotdogs, but the seafood is really good too. They are a bit pricey, but all the little outdoor seafood places are.

Visited May 2013
New York,NY
“I've been eating here since I was a kid...”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If I'm ever in New London this is a must stop for me. I recently had to attend a funeral for my great aunt and decided to meet my cousins for some good New England food in seafood shack. I've been coming here since I was a kid and always ordered a cheese dog. Seating is outside on picnic tables right on the Thames River. I ordered the cheese dog with some clam chowder which was amazing and needed no seasoning to add. Some clam strips, which I would've performed hot but came delivered warm and some cheese fries. I wasn't disappointed yet again. And that means they will get another visit from me next time I'm in New London.

• Visited April 2013
Mystic, Connecticut
“Beats me !”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have no idea why people rave about Fred's Shanty, from the sandy clams (and I have eaten at many clam shacks from Cape cod to LI) to the rubber burger (McDonalds would be better but I do not eat there either), it still astounds me ! I would not eat here again, unless it was to bring a bag lunch and enjoy the beautiful water view.

• Visited March 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Great View, Save Room For The Fried Dough”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

When we arrived for our vacation in October, I thought that all the clam shack-type places would have already been closed for the season, so I was surprised to see Fred’s Shanty was open as we were driving down Pequot Avenue. Of course, we had to stop. It turns out, we had arrived on the last day they would be open for the season. It’s an “order at the window and sit at a picnic table” kind of place, with a view of the Thames River. The seating is outdoors, and is covered. I had wanted to find a place to get whole-belly fried clams, but they were out of these. I was disappointed, but I can’t fault them for that. I couldn’t expect them to restock if they were close to shutting down for the winter. There were some other seafood items they were out of, as well. I ended up getting a hamburger and fried dough with cinnamon and sugar. I hadn’t had fried dough in years; actually, I had forgotten about it until I saw it on the menu. Apparently, fried dough in this form hasn’t made it very far out of New England. In any case, it was nostalgic for me, and it was a really huge serving for the price. We got a table facing the water, so we had a good view of the river and the marina below. Whatever you order for your meal, I highly recommend saving room for the fried dough for dessert.

• Visited October 2012