“Al Fresco Hot Dogs”
Review of Fred's Shanty

Fred's Shanty
Ranked #6 of 148 Restaurants in New London
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Fred's has been around since I was in high school - a looong time ago. It's where we now go for delicious bacon-topped foot-long cheese dogs, with sides of coleslaw and french fries. AND a view of the Thames River. Don't get the hamburgers - fried on a flat-top, they're not nearly as good as the hot dogs.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I love Fred's Shanty. Their food is excellent and the prices are decent. The staff are friendly and efficient. My favorite foods are the fried seafood platters and soft serve twist cone. I love the view of the marina by the Thames River. I love to see the seagulls and I feed them some fries. I love to swatch the swans, geese, or ducks swim by the marina while enjoying my meal. I love coming to Fred's with friends and family during summer. The seafood platters are enough for two people and I end up taking home in doggy bag. Huge portions and you get what you pay for. I'd recommend Fred's shanty for anyone looking for a fun summer hangout with good food and awesome water view.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only positive here was the view of New London Harbor. I ordered a scallop roll. It came with a generous portion of scallops. Scallops were lightly fried, chewey and left an oil aftertaste. My husband ordered the fish sandwich which was at best mediocre. Once again a generous portion of fried fish, covered with cheese. With a small lemonade our bill came to just under $17. We stopped there because Captain Scott's was closed. The place was busy...not sure why. We won't be back.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The food there is amazing , good food and equal amount of space to sit and enjoy your food.. Enjoy also nice view to look at ; and there Milkshakes are amazing also

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

People have gotten it right; this is a great little clam shack with solid fried seafood. The clams strips are great, the fries are as good as they get and the fish and chips are a classic staple. The burgers and dog are more than reasonably priced and are above the bar for a roadside clam shack. There's a reason Fred had T-Shirts made up in 1972 when he opened the place. They said "Fred's Shanty - Famous Since 1972." Fred's has been doing business ever since.

2  Thank welles p