“You can taste the love” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Yolk Cafe
Ranked #20 of 142 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New London, Connecticut, United States
“You can taste the love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant consistently for at least four years, and each experience has been nothing short of amazing.

My most recent visit was no exception:

I came in and announced that I was dreaming of a veggie burger with all the vegetables possible... my dreams came true. (The picture is attached, albeit after a few bites were immediately taken.) I was provided with one of the most amazing things I have ever had to eat. The house-made lentil veggie burgers are like nothing I have ever had, and the love and care that was put into making a warm salad of every imaginable vegetable on top made it all the more memorable. I was stunned. Never has a restaurant made me something so special that only my mother would take the time to do.

Other than the blatant love involved in making all of the food, the culinary skill also has to be taken into account. I have had a taste of pretty much everything on the menu and I can safely say that I have never been anything less than amazed. The house made veggie burgers are bursting with flavor that even the most devout meat eater would appreciate (as my carnivorous boyfriend can attest to!), the corned beef is out of this world and makes for a phenomenal hash and ruben. The eggs are always cooked to your specifications, and the specials...oh the specials! They are creative, enticing, and delicious.

The ambiance is fun, energetic, caring, loving, and overall pleasant. I have always been greeted by the owner (how many other places do you get that?) and I have always gotten exactly what I wanted to eat (if not more).
I understand that some people may find the place loud, but that is a matter of preference. If you are looking for candles and butler services, go to a hotel or a Michelin star rated establishment. The environment is meant to be homey, and that is exactly what you get. For that matter, it is exactly like going into ones own home. You are greeted warmly, served amazingly delicious food, and yes it may get loud, but who's family doesn't get boisterous when thrown together?

Be warned, in the summer you may get shot by a water gun, or if you are inside you may have marshmallows shot at you. But it is all done in good fun and with a sense of mutual respect. Nothing is ever over the line and if it is apologies being to fly all around. I have never seen anyone angry or upset, and energy off all the people who enter is entirely positive. This is not a place for negativity, it just wont fly.

Overall, this restaurant makes me feel like I have come home time and time again. After long absences my face is remembered and I am asked after. I have never left unhappy, and definitely never left hungry. I have not one complaint. Not one.

• Visited January 2013

New London, Connecticut
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place is my favorite restaurant. My wife and I frequent this spot as often as possible. The "unkempt, rude, unprofessional" chef remembered who we were when we came in two weeks after our first visit. As a hater of corned beef hash she pressured me into trying a bite of her hash, and after refusing several times, I finally succumbed and took a big bite of her home made hash and I now order it every time I come in. I suppose my point is this, do not judge this place based on what it looks like, or your first impression of the service or setup. The first time I went in I was a little shocked, and nervous. It isn't a normal eatery, it is completely and wonderfully unique. Please, do not avoid this place based on a negative review, it is worth at least two tries. The woman who owns and cooks the yolk is by far one of the nicest people you will meet, and on top of that she is one of the best cooks you will ever encounter. The portions are massive as well.

• Visited December 2012
New London, Connecticut, United States
“Limited Seating, But Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have eaten at the Brok'n Yoke Cafe a few times for breakfast. The restaurant is located in a nice residential area of the city. There is very limited seating inside, but there are ample picnic benches outside. The inside of the restaurant is small, cramped, and dingy looking. However, it is the food that counts. The breakfast menu is quite extensive. One item on the breakfast menu that appeals to me is Huevos Rancheros, which is normally not found on menus on the East coast. This is what I order each time I visit the Brok'n Yoke Cafe. The food and coffee are good with portions to satisfy your appetite. The service and prices are acceptable.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Waterford,Ct
“AVOID!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

AVOID! DO NOT GO HERE!
Unfortunately I took a so-called friend's advice and went to this dump. Thanks Harry!
One of the worst cafes I have ever been too. The cook/owner is loud, obnoxious, rude and without class. She yells at passersby, squirts eating patrons with a water gun, yells constantly and plays the drums on the pots and pans. The service is extremely slow. If the cook/owner cooked more instead of spending time being a one woman sideshow freak maybe the food wouldn't take up to 45 mins to get. The rude service is almost as bad as the over-priced, greasy food she serves. The cafe is small and dingy, the waitstaff unkempt and the cook/owner had sweat dripping on the grill. In my opinion, it would be better suited in a trashy trailer park.

• Visited August 2012
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“The WORST ever in New London”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place is not what it used to be. It is not the Broken Yolk Cafe, it is The Yolk Cafe with the "Broken" word oh-so-classily crossed off the sign instead of buying a new one. The service was terrible, the food was disgusting. I ordered the eggs benedict, the sauce was broken that is for sure they do not know how to make a proper hollandaise. We used to enjoy this place for breakfast when we lived in town but no more. We will never go back. The kitchen was so disgusting I had to take pictures. I do not know how they are passing inspection here. Their waitstaff do not know how to take orders and write tickets. Our first clue should have been when our first server handed me the ticket and asked me to write our drink order down for him....the second server used two tickets for one party and our food came out staggered with over an hour wait, for breakfast, in a place that probably can't seat more than 50 people to begin with. We certainly were not the only ones complaining and watched other tables get served out of order and not entire parties at once leaving half the table without food for 15-20 minutes while the rest of the table was finished already. Go to JR's, go to Portuguese Fisherman, if Michael's is serving breakfast try that....just don't bother with this place as the chef so nastily told us when we complained, "you can go somewhere else there is another restaurant up the street!" In a New London that is striving for change, this place needs a total change overhaul the staff and give a chef with an appreciation for customers a job instead of this ungrateful woman.

• Visited July 2012