“AMAZING”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place is my favorite restaurant. My wife and I frequent this spot as often as possible. The "unkempt, rude, unprofessional" chef remembered who we were when we came in two weeks after our first visit. As a hater of corned beef hash she pressured me into trying a bite of her hash, and after refusing several times, I finally succumbed and took a big bite of her home made hash and I now order it every time I come in. I suppose my point is this, do not judge this place based on what it looks like, or your first impression of the service or setup. The first time I went in I was a little shocked, and nervous. It isn't a normal eatery, it is completely and wonderfully unique. Please, do not avoid this place based on a negative review, it is worth at least two tries. The woman who owns and cooks the yolk is by far one of the nicest people you will meet, and on top of that she is one of the best cooks you will ever encounter. The portions are massive as well.

There are newer reviews for The Yolk Cafe

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have eaten at the Brok'n Yoke Cafe a few times for breakfast. The restaurant is located in a nice residential area of the city. There is very limited seating inside, but there are ample picnic benches outside. The inside of the restaurant is small, cramped, and dingy looking. However, it is the food that counts. The breakfast menu is quite extensive. One item on the breakfast menu that appeals to me is Huevos Rancheros, which is normally not found on menus on the East coast. This is what I order each time I visit the Brok'n Yoke Cafe. The food and coffee are good with portions to satisfy your appetite. The service and prices are acceptable.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

AVOID! DO NOT GO HERE!
Unfortunately I took a so-called friend's advice and went to this dump. Thanks Harry!
One of the worst cafes I have ever been too. The cook/owner is loud, obnoxious, rude and without class. She yells at passersby, squirts eating patrons with a water gun, yells constantly and plays the drums on the pots and pans. The service is extremely slow. If the cook/owner cooked more instead of spending time being a one woman sideshow freak maybe the food wouldn't take up to 45 mins to get. The rude service is almost as bad as the over-priced, greasy food she serves. The cafe is small and dingy, the waitstaff unkempt and the cook/owner had sweat dripping on the grill. In my opinion, it would be better suited in a trashy trailer park.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place is not what it used to be. It is not the Broken Yolk Cafe, it is The Yolk Cafe with the "Broken" word oh-so-classily crossed off the sign instead of buying a new one. The service was terrible, the food was disgusting. I ordered the eggs benedict, the sauce was broken that is for sure they do not know how to make a proper hollandaise. We used to enjoy this place for breakfast when we lived in town but no more. We will never go back. The kitchen was so disgusting I had to take pictures. I do not know how they are passing inspection here. Their waitstaff do not know how to take orders and write tickets. Our first clue should have been when our first server handed me the ticket and asked me to write our drink order down for him....the second server used two tickets for one party and our food came out staggered with over an hour wait, for breakfast, in a place that probably can't seat more than 50 people to begin with. We certainly were not the only ones complaining and watched other tables get served out of order and not entire parties at once leaving half the table without food for 15-20 minutes while the rest of the table was finished already. Go to JR's, go to Portuguese Fisherman, if Michael's is serving breakfast try that....just don't bother with this place as the chef so nastily told us when we complained, "you can go somewhere else there is another restaurant up the street!" In a New London that is striving for change, this place needs a total change overhaul the staff and give a chef with an appreciation for customers a job instead of this ungrateful woman.

2  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed June 21, 2012

moved into the area and decided to try this place out. outside looks nice with outdoor seating. inside is somewhat cramped but had a very homey feel. they gave us utensils with ketchup all over them. no big, they quickly changed it after someone came around. ordered the corned beef hash and granola pancakes and my friend had biscuits and sausage gravy. corned beef hash was different than the usual ground up meat. they were cut in chunks which is a nice change but had an very strong mustard flavor. the taste was overpowering after awhile. the flavor of the granola pancakes were very good but the batter was kinda under cooked. and tasted the biscuits and sausage gravy. biscuits were waaayy stale and the gravy was so-so. but don't let this review stray you away from this place. its a decent breakfast and has a great neighborhood feel, but im very particular with my breakfast food. i would eat here again, but wouldn't drive out of my way for it.