“Not as good as Tripadvisor reviews indicate”

Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New London
Hartford, CT
“Not as good as Tripadvisor reviews indicate”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed one night, and expected a newly renovated, clean hotel, based on the strong reviews on Tripadvisor. That is not what we got. It's a standard motel; it is not particularly clean; and it's somewhat run down. Now, we are not picky travelers, and the hotel was sufficient. It simply was not close to what you'd expect with a hotel that is a top rated place, as this one is. So... calibrate your expectations, and you'll be fine, but it is nothing like the photos or most of the reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dmitry Z, Manager at Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Mystic New London Red Roof.

Red Roof Inn - Mystic New Londo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Warren, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 23, 2013

With my AAA discount, a Deluxe accommodation was less than $98.99 plus tax with a refrigerator, a microwave, a brand new flat screen t.v., a safe AND a coffee maker. Two beds in the room made in perfect for my sister and I for a one-night stay after the Miss Connecticut Pageant. I especially liked the sink/mirror area being separate from the toilet and shower since there were two of us. Room was clean, bed was fine. Really, for $100.00, a great deal.

Room Tip: Request an upper level room in the back of the building to avoid highway noise. With the air condit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank missri1986
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Mystic New London Red Roof. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels.

Red Roof Inn - Mystic New London
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Like most people, we stayed here overnight because we were going to the casinos (Mohegan Sun, in this case). It was only about a 15 minute drive from the hotel. It's an old motel style layout, with the doors going directly outside. I didn't realize how long it had been since I stayed in one of these types of motels until I pulled right up to my room. Very convenient being able to park right outside your door (literally).

The motel may look a little grungy or outdated from the outside, but the room from the inside was very clean and was actually more updated than I was expecting. There was a flat screen TV, plenty of desk space, a safe, a suitcase stand, plenty of towels, and a lot of toiletries. The hardwood floors were also very clean and gave the room a nice appeal (no old smelly carpets with stains on them!).

The bed mattresses were economy quality but the sheets were clean and after passing out from the casino after 3am, it was more than adequate!

Bathroom was small; shower had a small water stain on it near the drain but no big deal. On the plus side, it had the sink and powder area on the outside of the bathroom so two people could do their business at once.

The entrance can be a little hard to find since it's buried in the woods and the signage is small, but it is very convenient to I-95 and CT Route 32 (which goes straight up to Mohegan Sun). It is literally right next to the off-ramp off I-95 exit 83.

Normally I would've been a little hesitant to stay here, but credit TripAdvisor's reviews for pointing out how good of a value and how clean this hotel can be.

I paid about $90 (which includes taxes/fees) for a non-holiday Saturday night in June vs. paying $160+ for other hotels in Mystic or New London and vs. $445 at Mohegan Sun.

Room Tip: Lower floors are easier to load and unload from the car. You can pull straight up to your door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scott C
Dmitry Z, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London, responded to this review, June 16, 2013

New Jersey
Reviewed June 8, 2013

In the New London/Mystic Ct area, this is the best hotel for your money. Nice, clean, updated rooms with the usual amenities, plus free coffee at the front desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful.I slept like a baby- very comfortable bed. The hotel is near I-95 and route 32, so everything is easy to get to.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor near the office were newly-renovated.
5 Thank deepblusea4ever

Middle Grove, New York, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The room was clean, and the price was right. The parking seemed enough at first, but when we got in late, all of the parking spots were taken. A tractor trailer took up about 6-7 spots and someone w/a trailer took about 3 of them. We had to keep moving our vehicle the next morning to have a spot closer to our room. The room also smelled alittle of smoke. I'm not sure if it was old or coming through ventilation. When we checked out, they overcharged us, so we had to go back in. It wasn't a small overcharge either. I would suggest making sure they have all of your discounts in place before you pay. Overall, it was a good stay and the people were nice.

Room Tip: It was a quiet location, so I think any room would be good.
6 Thank Lisa B
Dmitry Z, Manager at Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London, responded to this review, May 30, 2013

Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Outstanding Hotel, great service and pet friendly. Have stayed numerous times and no complaints. Great price of only $65 (room + tax). Staff was helpful. Very close to highway and resturants. Coffee/Tea/mini frig in room along with standard items such as hair dryer and ironing Board.

Room Tip: We prefer a first fllor room as you can pull your car right in front of the room and in the morning...
7 Thank BeckyB823

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,537 reviews
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos

Been to Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London? Share your experiences!