“Amazing food - absolutely must eat here.”
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #11 of 153 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chaplin's specializes in local, fresh-caught sea food. In addition to New England traditions, Chaplin's ventures into other American regional favorites. With warm hospitality, Chaplin's serves up fresh dinners and fun times year round.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

WOW you would not expect to find this place on Bank Street in New London. Food is incredibly fresh, delicious, inventive; service is awesome! We all got seafood which was just remarkable -- there's plenty of meat on the menu but the seafood is so fresh that I wouldn't recommend passing it up. After I ate here, I discovered Jack Chaplin's You Tube channel where he demonstrates recipe after recipe; so I've had the thrill of recreating some of these recipes at home. I will eat here every time I'm in New London and the folks in the hottest Manhattan eateries won't be eating any better.

2  Thank dogwalkerNorfolk

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Good but salty New England clam chowder. We've fixed on the boulliabase and Fettuccine Alfredo in a couple of visits and really like them. Haven't tried any of the other entrees and desserts yet. Service very friendly, seafood dishes have very reasonable prices. Atmosphere is storefront -- you watch the Bank St traffic going by and the Salvation Army store across the street while listening to the clatter of pans and bar stool conversations behind you. The total effect is relaxing and fun.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a party of 9 and showed up unannounced at 5:00 PM. They quickly seated us. Chaplin's is not a huge place and it quickly filled up. Service was fast and very courteous. The food was awesome. I had the seafood sampler, my wife had the Parmesan Crusted Shrimp. Others in our party had Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Alfredo, and other dishes. Portions were perfect to a little too big for some. ALL of it was delicious! Prices were very reasonable. Will definitely come back when in area.

1  Thank Chuck F
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the best, most consistent restaurant in the area by far. Friendly service and great food - you can't beat that combination. The seafood sampler, which os almost always a special, is ridiculously good.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I just went to Mystic for the weekend, and thought we would hit Chaplin's on the way back home, since it had been so well-reviewed on this site. The actual restaurant is fairly small, with a small front section and another part in the back near the bar, where you can see the cooks. We had a reservation at 6:30, and had to wait about 15 minutes for a table to clear, no biggie. Once we were seated it took a while to get a menu, but I think that's because they were swamped and not properly staffed-again not a big deal.

The waitress was really really nice, but she sped through the specials so fast (and they weren't written anywhere) that I could only remember one when we were actually trying to decide what to get. My boyfriend really only likes salmon, so he decided on the salmon piccata ($14) which came with veggies and mashed potatoes. He said the potatoes were really good but the salmon was super salty. I decided on the swordfish special with seafood risotto, which the waitress said had scallops, lobster and crab in it.

When I received the dish, after not too long of a wait, there was one little piece of lobster and nothing else. I asked the waitress about it, and she said that it was "really well blended in there" and went to talk to the chef, who said that same thing. However, she said that if I didn't like it, she would comp it for me. However, I figured I misunderstood and that the risotto was just cooked in all of those types of seafood but they weren't actually IN it, so I ate it because it was creamy and pretty good. However, my veggies tasted as if they had been cooked in sea water (very salty) and the swordfish was pretty lack luster.

Basically a pretty poor meal. But when the waitress dropped off the check the risotto was already comp'd, which was very nice! I was willing to pay full price, but since I had just mentioned it they took it to heart and made sure I was satisfied. We tipped very well :) While we were there we heard another couple say that they went to Chaplin's regularly and "had never had a bad meal", so maybe we were just un-lucky. The meal came to a total of $43, with $5 taken off for the risotto, which is not bad for seafood! However, we would not come here again and cannot really recommend it based on our meal alone.

2  Thank Mirandarosepetal

Been to The Bistro? Share your experiences!