“OK for the price, no big pluses.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Burley, ID
“OK for the price, no big pluses.”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend. Stayed here because most downtown hotels were booked or had jacked up rates for Yale's Alumni weekend. Daughter who lives in area stayed with us and had car, so getting around wasn't a problem. Location of hotel is near I-95. Rooms on ocean side have good view if you look beyond the interstate below. Not real easy to get into town from this location, but streets in New Haven are an adventure under any circumstances. Room was clean and maids did a good job. Complimentary breakfast was average for this class of hotel - hot waffle, cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc. Finish work on room was pretty shoddy - gaps around outlets, etc., but that seems to be my experience with La Quinta. Rates were decent - averaged around $130 per night for the holiday weekend including taxes, about half the price of many hotels in New Haven. One queen bed in our room was great, the other sagged severely in the middle, like kids had been jumping on it or something. Had a great time in New Haven - went to beach, toured the Thimble Islands (strongly recommend it), visited Yale's campus, had lots of great meals. Lots to do in the area. Would stay here again under similar circumstances, but plan on trying somewhere different next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
east longmeadow, mass
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel May 9-May14th 2010. I was in New Haven for work at Yale New Haven Hosp. The hotel is right off the highway, easily accessable. I was traveling alone, so I got a standard queen bed room. I stayed here based on the reviews of this hotal, and reviews of other hotels in the area. It basically seemed the safest. The room was average, clean. Bed comfortable. Iron and hair dryer. The Wi-Fi was something less then to be desired. Every time I tried to connect it gave me the hardest time, and while I was here I had to call the hotels tech support 3 times, who were basically useless. It's a pretty big place, and was far from full, so it was annoying when they put people in the room next to me who were really loud, and may as well have been in the room with me. But that was only 2 nights. The continental breakfast was decent. Lots of bread, muffins, bagels, english muffins. Cereal, a belgium waffle maker and yogurt. Juices, coffee, tea. I think over all, it seems eqivalent to most other hotels, which made me rate the price poor. Between $83-$99, a night, but I guess it's better to pay a little bit more then be in a crappy area. This place is about 4 miles from Yale New Haven Hosp. There is a small diner next door......I ate there 3-4 times, and their food is good. If I came to New Haven again and needed a place to stay, I would stay here again!! OH! there is a pool in the back too. (covered while I was here)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
marietta
Reviewed May 9, 2010

dated but great value for this area

• Stayed May 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because I was traveling from out of state to attend my uncle's funeral. Didn't know much about the quality of the rooms but when we FINALLY made it into the room to settle down for the night, my family and I were more than pleased and satisfied. the room AND bathroom were clean. 1 improvement suggested: I didn't understand why there was a transparent shower curtain hanging up that wasn't wide enough to hide much of anything. whenever I return to New Haven, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed February 14, 2010

La Quinta New Haven was a pleasant stay. Our room was mostly clean, the bathroom cleanliness was a bit sub standard. I am not complaining, I would say cleanliness overall was above average. The queen suite was large with a sofa/coffee table and desk seperated from the bedroom. Large flat screen TV was also nice. I would stay again and recommend to friends.

Side note: The restaurant that is attached is a small diner. Right behind the hotel is a nice Italian restaurant called Brazi's. Give it a shot if your into classic Italian food.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Winterport, Maine
Reviewed January 11, 2010

For my son's 12th birthday we got tix to game 2 of The World Series at Yankee Stadium. Purchased a nice sized room directly from LaQuinta site for about $80. It exceeded our expectations in many ways. This has to be the easiest hotel you could ever get to from the highway. Literally 1 turn. Facility was clean. Has all the basics including wi fi. 200 ft behind hotel is a mammoth IKEA. Cool to shop in and you can actually get a decent lunch there. 200 ft to the other side is a small strip mall including the famous Long Wharf Theatre.
Back to La Quinta - The beds were clean and fluffly. The Bathroom, sink etc fine - good shower water pressure.The hotel was quiet - seemed like we were the only ones there, but not in a creepy way. Small elevator - good for 4 people. Very well lit outdoors and a safe looking neighborhood to park in. Without a doubt, the best factor was the location. The free shuttle over to the train station was PERFECT and 2 minutes away. We grabbed sandwiches and took an 80 minute train into NYC. We got off at Harlem 125 th St - totally safe. Took the train back from NYC at 1 am and grabbed a $5 cab from the train station back to the hotel. We could walk it in 20 minutes but that was not recommended. New Haven can have it's rough characters at night - but that's true of many major cities.

I've recommended this NYC plan to at least a dozen friends. So easy. I would recommend this to you to if: 1. You're uncomfortable driving and parking in NYC. Parking will run you at least $30 a day. 2. You can't stomach paying for a room in NYC at a minimum of $160 a night for a 1 star hotel or worse. 3. If you're driving down from Maine or New England. Staying here is that much closer to home when you have to leave. Just 5 hrs back to ME. 4. You want to visit Yale museum or medical center - also very close.

PS. I only visit this site a few times a year, so questions or responses here will probably not bee seen until my next trip this spring. Sorry!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Pros:

Room was spacious enough, two fairly comfy queen beds with clean soft-enough sheets and pillows weren't too lumpy.

Wireless internet worked well and was, in fact, free.

Great temperature control of the room.

Free shuttle to downtown New Haven.

Good water pressure and when you wanted warm water, it was almost immediate.

Free included breakfast was pretty good.

The TV worked just fine.

Cons:

Keycard kept de-activating itself, for both me, my roommate, and other guests at the hotel. Staff would re-program quickly, and keep warning everyone not to keep their keycards near their cell phones. Whatever.

Heat/cooling was very loud.

Free shuttle to downtown New Haven didn't run on a regular schedule, but rather was sort of on-demand, so when there was demand, it was hard to get and sometimes required a long wait. Hard to make plans using it when you're not sure if/when you can get it.

Toilet flush was very loud.

Our bath tub didn't drain very well, although I heard other friends who stayed there did not have that problem.

"Conditioning shampoo" is not the same as shampoo and conditioner.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends