“"Close enough for government work"”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
“"Close enough for government work"”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here on a leg of an epic college-visiting trip with my son, and we were there to see Yale.

My first impression was the cheerfulness and positive attitude of the front desk personnel. After a long drive from Houston (via Washington DC) this was welcome.

The room was OK, neither great nor terrible. I had two other impressions, though:

I liked the Greek Olive, the restaurant in the hotel. A good menu at decent prices, which surprised me for this part of the country. However, I wish there a sound-proofed barrier between the restaurant and the rather rowdy bar.

I was frustrated with the breakfast buffet: Most of the better items (such as waffle batter) were finished by the time we got there, and there was no sign that they would be replenished.

Overall, though I would probably stay there again if I had the opportunity (e.g. if my son gets into Yale).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DavidRoss47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Wexford, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed in many La Quinta Inns as we always have our dogs with us. I have always had great service, clean rooms and resonable pricing. Not here, we had a reservation for 3 people planning on using the sofa bed, but the sofa bed had no linens had to ask for them, and then they were just handed to me to make the bed. The bathroom was filty and only 2 towels for 3 people, on face cloths or hand towels. We were charged 2 different prices for each day we were there, not a holiday just a weekend. This hotel is not worthy of the La Quinta Inn name, the staff was rude and the breakfast was scary. Do not recomeend.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New Haven hotels

syracuse ny
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I did not book ahead, was in the area and needed to spend the nite. Did not have reservations, googled for hotels and figured I was safe with La Quinta. We have stayed in other La Quintas and have always been impressed at the cleanliness and quality for the price. This hotel is clearly letting the franchise down. The hotel lobby and common area on the first floor were fine. Nothing fancy, but clean. But after I checked in and went to my room, wow, what a mess. The halls were smelly and humid. Wall ights were missing the decorative covers, just bare bulbs in one area. There were numerous HUGE water stains all over the hall carpets. Our room was ok, in terms of the beds, the sheets were clean, but the rest of the room was a disgustingly dirty mess. The bathroom had mold around the calk in the shower. The fan in the bathroom had INCHES of dust on the outlets. The floor in the bedroom area had stains on the carpet. The floor was uneven, dipped in certain places and there were cracks in the ceiling. Not sure if the hotel is settling? It is directly across from I-95, maybe all the motion from the passing trucks?? anyway, I digress. The one chair in front of the desk was originally a yellow color, but the seat of the chair was brown from all the dirt and grime. The curtains didn't close all the way so all nite long the lights from 1-95 and the parking lot lights shone through, keeping me awake. The free breakfast the next morning was par for this chain, nothing great, but hey, its free. I'd give up the free breakfast for a clean hotel room anyday. The staff were friendly and nice. But it is clearly time for them to do some major cleaning and renovations to this property. Do not stay here if you have a better option! I wish I had taken some pictures so you could see that I am not exaggerating about how dirty things were...just trust me. I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower in a clean shower minus the MOLD!!

Room Tip: just don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California, USA
Reviewed August 26, 2013

La Quinta Inn in new Haven offered extremely friendly and helpful staff, free shuttle rides to campus, comfortable, clean affordable rooms, and a tasty extensive breakfast spread. I would certainly return again. It is next door to Ikea which most college kids visit to furnish their rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Exceptionally gracious and helpful staff. Transportation back and forth to hospital was very much appreciated. Happy to be able to book a smoking room. Décor could stand an updating, but everything worked well. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Everything about this hotel was wrong. I'm pretty sure I saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot. Common areas and our room were dirty, the ceiling was cracked and had peeling paint, bathroom was dirty, shower curtain didn't even fit. As we were arriving other "guests" were showing up carrying large liquor bottles. If I was traveling alone I would never have stayed here, even with 2 other companions it was creepy and we couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning. Does LaQuinta not require there franchise owners to meet any standards?

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

After traveling from Greenville North Carolina to New Haven Connecticut, and arriving at the LaQuinta we were not impressed!! A bus load of tired and weary travelers were greeted by one employee checking in guest. I must admit she was courteous and professional and moved the line along as quickly as one person could. This LaQuinta is below standard in cleanliness! The swimming pool had several children playing, but when i looked closer at the water, there was a cigarette butt floating at one end of the pool!! Many of us had to catch the hotel shuttle to Walmart to get some clean up supplies! Lets move on to the room. OMG! The floor had not been vacuumed (as well as the hallways), one towel and washcloth, no trash cans, a hairy bathtub lined with mildew!!! Questionable bed linen!! Just too much to comment on!!!! After 95% of the bus complaining I am told we will be reimbursed for one night!
We are truly at the mercy of LAQUINTA , being we have an agenda scheduled trip. It's my hope that whomever is responsible will "TIGHTEN UP" on the cleanliness and efficiency at LAQUINTA or CLOSE DOWN ENTIRELY!! My only question, where's the HEALTH INSPECTORS?? This place certainley didn't get like this over night.

• Stayed August 2013