“Stay away”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Southington, Connecticut, United States
“Stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Yikes! I have stayed in all kinds of hotels from luxury to very cheap over the years, so I am not a hotel snob by any means, but this hotel was a nightmare. No AC in the common areas, a dilapidated and closed down pool ( no indication of this on the website), a shuttle that claims on the website to take guests 5 miles, but only goes two, and stains on most of the bed linens made me pretty sure. Will never stay here again. Add the police at 2 am for a domestic violence situation and I am all set.

My husband and I stayed here while on town for a wedding. After complaining about the fact that the website said the shuttle would take us five miles ( the wedding was 4.5 miles away) they finally caved and agreed to. However, the shuttle never showed and we missed our friend walking down the aisle. Among all the other stuff mentioned above this was the worst.

In a rare move I sent a complaint to the corporate office which in a quick two days got me a call forgot the GM at the New Haven property. He certainly apologized but not without making excuses for e everything, and then refunded my money. He wanted to be sure that I understood that the wedding venue was farther than five miles away and argued this point with me before resolving anything. I sent the mapquest along to him showing that the venue was in fact under five miles, which I know all to well since I had to drive there to get to my wedding.

This place is a joke and seems to be mostly attracting escorts, their clients, and idiots like me trying to save a buck.

Stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booked on line, attracted by hotel location and La Quinta's policy of accepting pets without additional charge. Everything was as represented, breakfast was a pleasant bonus, the on-site restaurant was top notch and the staff was the friendliest and most efficient I have ever found. When I made requests they knew who I was, listened to what I needed and told me it would be done. No one touched a computer with me there but everything was done as promised. And my pets were treated just as well as me and my wife. Could not give higher recommendation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Forest Hills, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The whole decor of the hotel inside the hallways and rooms look terrible. The pool was "closed" and was green in color. There was also drag racing all night next to the hotel by the gas station, really terrible. Would NOT recommend even for $100 per night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New Haven hotels

Cookeville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are nice sized. The beds were clean. The bathtub and floors were not. Mold was growing in tub caulk and on shower curtain in very noticeable amounts. A little soak of bleach would kill it all. It is overall a tired hotel , but served our purpose for a Yale visit. Way overpriced for the quality, however, they have a Good restaurant inside the hotel which made convenience a factor in my rating.

• Stayed June 2013
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were swooping in for less than a 12 hour stay as we waited for a connecting train, and this hotel was fine for that. Its in a great location for the station, at a fair price and offers nice accommodations. It was the staff however that made this place stand out. Even at 6am as we were headed out, they were friendly and proved to go above and beyond for their customers. After they called us their shuttle, and we were dropped off, I flakishly left my purse in the shuttle and panicked. Our train was less than an hour from leaving. By the time we could even call the front desk, Tasha, the super receptionist, had checked the purse with a witness and sent it back over to the station, thus saving my day. All safe on this end, and I send out huge thanks! You and your crew rescued me from an awful end to a wonderful trip, as there was a picture in my purse that couldn't be replaced.

If you're coming in from the trains, this is a fine location. The rooms are clean, the lobby is pleasant, and the noise level isn't bad!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rayvneros
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Don't get taken in by the prices advertised on a large banner outside the hotel - the receptionist informs you that the rates vary ....even on a week night !! Rather expensive for what you get. Very old building but clean comfortable room. Breakfast provided comparable to other hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Millburn, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel provided help above and beyond for graduation weekend. There were shuttles to and from New Haven and the hotel helped us check in early and store luggage late for our graduate. The people who helped us were friendly and helpful!
The room could have been a little cleaner and they had so many folks for graduation weekend that they ran out of pillows, (we rolled up an extra towel instead) but the suite was well appointed and all in all, we had a great weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family