“RoomSaver.com coupon payed off!”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My dad and I were traveling to get my grandma in RI. We were going to stop at a Days Inn a few exits up 95, but we had been traveling over 12 hours and were exhausted. The coupon was only for walk-in and a one night stay, but that is all we needed. The only downside was that they charged $15 for parking in the garage, but for the comfort of the room it was well worth it. I think we paid a total of $85. The room was immaculate. With marble or granite top dresser, desk, and bathroom counter. Huge Flat screen tv. and plush beds and blankets/comforter/pillows. The only thing wrong with the room was that it wasn't 12 month old baby proof! My son pulled the drawers out and they have an automatic closer, where you just have to push the drawer slightly and it will slide normally until it gets 1/2 inch from closing then it just shuts all the way, so his finger got stuck! Staff was friendly and nice. The restaurant was closed for renovations, so we had breakfast at a diner/cafe and I would definitely not recommend that place for anything.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I got this hotel for two nights through Priceline for $50.36 per night which included all taxes and fees. When I discovered this was the hotel that had accepted my bid through Priceline and then checked Trip Advisor for reviews, I was totally thrilled. The only disappointing part was that I had to pay $15 per night for parking in a garage across from the hotel as there is no public parking at the hotel unless one wants to feed the meters on the street. Even with the extra $15 per night, this hotel was still a super bargain. It is very clean and ultra modern. It has been recently renovated with the rooms in their dark wood and quality lighting and fixtures making it appear quite elegant. The rooms also have 42 inch HDTV's. The beds are extremely comfortable and even though our room on the second floor overlooked the street running by the hotel we were never bothered by traffic noise. The AC unit ran so smoothly with just a slight humming noise it actually helped to put one asleep. Each room also has a work desk area for those traveling for businees. Speaking of business, the business center had a half dozen computers including a Mac for use. The staff was very friendly and helpful, i.e. with directions and restaurant recommendations. For our purposes, the location couldn't have been better as it's immediately next door to the expansive Yale campus along with a myriad of shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. All of this is within walking distance. We actually didn't use our vehicle during our stay except to drive to Stony Brook to take a cruise touring the Thimble Islands which I'd strongly recommend doing as well as touring the Yale campus. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant choosing instead to visit other dining alternatives in the proximity of the hotel. If in the New Have area, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Have never been to New Haven so not sure what to expect. We were moving my niece into her college, UNH, and wanted to be "fresh" for the excitement. We drove in from Philadelphia, PA . The hotels directions were perfect btw. Checked multiple websites and "pricing" sites. Decided to call the hotel directly got the rate listed but when I found a lesser price I called and they adjusted our rate. We got there with no problems. The lobby is beautiful wiht local artist's work and lovely seating venues. Check in was fast and friendly. Parking is across the street in a secured garage you access with your room key. $15.00 per day charge. Our room was EXACTLY as pictured on the hotels website.....FABULOUS !!!!!! Bed was awesome and very comfortable, slept great for a change away from home. Everything was new and clean. The room was well appointed and the bathroom was just as beautiful. Huge shower, double sink, granite countertop, lots of towels and "goodies". We will be staying there again in a few months to visit New Haven and our niece. Wouldn't stay ANY PLACE ELSE!!!!!! Restaurants recommended were great as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The New Haven Hotel has a few things going for it: firm mattresses, excellent showers, and a convenient, if bland location. But the hotel is currently under construction, and many of the facilities don't work. The advertised business center doesn't exist. The elevators are the slowest I have ever encountered anywhere. In my room, I had to fiddle with bedside lamp for five minutes before I could get it to work, I had to fiddle with the coffeemaker for five minutes to get it to work, and I had to fiddle with the DVD player for ten minutes to get it to work, and even then it would play only one side of the disc. The windows badly needed washing. My greatest concern, however, is that the staff kept trying to game me on the rates: when I called to book a room, the clerk quoted a rate higher than the one advertised on the Internet; I negotiated and was promised the Internet-advertised rate, but then when I checked in, the staff tried to talk me into taking a more expensive room; I filled out an elaborate form testifying that I did not need parking, yet was charged for parking anyway, and when I pointed out the mistake, the clerk was extremely rude. DO NOT stay at this hotel! It's just not safe to trust your luggage or your credit card number to people who are so thoroughly incompetent and deceptive.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank academic_traveler81
srnhg, Owner at New Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

Dear academic_traveler81,

We are very excited to announce that we have now finished a complete renovation of the New Haven Hotel. Our guest rooms are the most well appointed in New Haven, with top quality mattresses and luxury linens, custom furniture, 42” flatscreen HD televisions, CD/MP3 players with ipod docks, electronic safes and minifridges/freezers. Our business center is open for guest use and we have free wireless internet throughout the hotel. The stunningly renovated lobby features marble details, seating areas with flatscreen televisions, our custom art installation, custom chandeliers and a fireplace (soon to be roaring). We believe that the technology in every room is operational, but please let us know if you have any trouble operating the amenities in your room. We would like to exceed the expectations of all of our guests.

We apologize for any confusion you experienced about the rate for your room. Like most hotels, there is often a difference between the rates shown on the internet and the rate quoted on the phone, as our rates are constantly changing in accordance with our occupancy and many other factors. I am glad that we were able to obtain a room at the favorable internet rate. Many of our guests do opt to upgrade to a larger room when it is available, but you always have the option to refuse an upgrade. I assure you that any confusion about parking charges was accidental. I am pleased that we were able to fix your bill accordingly.

We hope that you will join us again at the New Haven Hotel.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

We used a certain online "name your own price" site and wound up with the New Haven Hotel. I was a bit concerned, but this place was great! It's a very quick walk to Yale, the bar scene and almost anywhere you'd want to go in downtown New Haven.

The hotel is undergoing a redo and our room was great! A huge HDTV, modern furnishings, a clean bathroom, Starbucks coffee, and very friendly front desk personnel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The New Haven Hotel is in the middle of what appears to have been a major remodel. It really is lovely and I wouldn't be surprised if the hotel's star rating goes from being a 2 star to AT Least a 3 star. (more likely 3.5 or 4) The common areas of the hotel are beautiful with artwork featuring local landmarks. The room have also been remodeled and are really top-notch. Was a great place to set-up shop and work from for a few days.

The location is an easy walk to the New Haven Green and all it's surrounding shops and eateries, and just a couple blocks further to Yale's campus.

Because of the construction there were a few things closed/not working during my stay that you may want to check into before planning your visit. The restaurant is completely closed for renovations so there are no food options on-site. The hotel has however worked out a deal with a nearby restaurant for a breakfast discount. The biggest inconvenience I found was that the skyway to the parking garage across the street was closed. It is a fairly busy street to cross and it is a block or two to the closest crosswalk. Strangely you can't use the elevator in the garage after a certain time, and you have to park on levels 2-4, so I had to haul my luggage down the stairs and across three lanes of traffic. Parking runs about $16/day.

Really though overall I couldn't be happier and would absolutely recommend this location to anyone staying in the area. I got the room for a steal on Priceline so the minor inconveniences can be overlooked this time. Had I paid full price...

Either way I will return once the remodel is complete as the New Haven hotel really exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Loved it. Just stayed one night but I would go back next time I'm in New Haven. Spacious room, huge flat screen TV, coffee/tea facilities in the room and downstairs in the lobby. For a quick stay it was all we needed; fine luxury and nothing too much...just enough. They were remodeling while we were there but it didn't matter. No complaints whatsoever. :)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family