“good beds and showers don't compensate for execrable service”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
New York City, New York
“good beds and showers don't compensate for execrable service”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The New Haven Hotel has a few things going for it: firm mattresses, excellent showers, and a convenient, if bland location. But the hotel is currently under construction, and many of the facilities don't work. The advertised business center doesn't exist. The elevators are the slowest I have ever encountered anywhere. In my room, I had to fiddle with bedside lamp for five minutes before I could get it to work, I had to fiddle with the coffeemaker for five minutes to get it to work, and I had to fiddle with the DVD player for ten minutes to get it to work, and even then it would play only one side of the disc. The windows badly needed washing. My greatest concern, however, is that the staff kept trying to game me on the rates: when I called to book a room, the clerk quoted a rate higher than the one advertised on the Internet; I negotiated and was promised the Internet-advertised rate, but then when I checked in, the staff tried to talk me into taking a more expensive room; I filled out an elaborate form testifying that I did not need parking, yet was charged for parking anyway, and when I pointed out the mistake, the clerk was extremely rude. DO NOT stay at this hotel! It's just not safe to trust your luggage or your credit card number to people who are so thoroughly incompetent and deceptive.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank academic_traveler81
srnhg, Owner at New Haven Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Dear academic_traveler81,

We are very excited to announce that we have now finished a complete renovation of the New Haven Hotel. Our guest rooms are the most well appointed in New Haven, with top quality mattresses and luxury linens, custom furniture, 42” flatscreen HD televisions, CD/MP3 players with ipod docks, electronic safes and minifridges/freezers. Our business center is open for guest use and we have free wireless internet throughout the hotel. The stunningly renovated lobby features marble details, seating areas with flatscreen televisions, our custom art installation, custom chandeliers and a fireplace (soon to be roaring). We believe that the technology in every room is operational, but please let us know if you have any trouble operating the amenities in your room. We would like to exceed the expectations of all of our guests.

We apologize for any confusion you experienced about the rate for your room. Like most hotels, there is often a difference between the rates shown on the internet and the rate quoted on the phone, as our rates are constantly changing in accordance with our occupancy and many other factors. I am glad that we were able to obtain a room at the favorable internet rate. Many of our guests do opt to upgrade to a larger room when it is available, but you always have the option to refuse an upgrade. I assure you that any confusion about parking charges was accidental. I am pleased that we were able to fix your bill accordingly.

We hope that you will join us again at the New Haven Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We used a certain online "name your own price" site and wound up with the New Haven Hotel. I was a bit concerned, but this place was great! It's a very quick walk to Yale, the bar scene and almost anywhere you'd want to go in downtown New Haven.

The hotel is undergoing a redo and our room was great! A huge HDTV, modern furnishings, a clean bathroom, Starbucks coffee, and very friendly front desk personnel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The New Haven Hotel is in the middle of what appears to have been a major remodel. It really is lovely and I wouldn't be surprised if the hotel's star rating goes from being a 2 star to AT Least a 3 star. (more likely 3.5 or 4) The common areas of the hotel are beautiful with artwork featuring local landmarks. The room have also been remodeled and are really top-notch. Was a great place to set-up shop and work from for a few days.

The location is an easy walk to the New Haven Green and all it's surrounding shops and eateries, and just a couple blocks further to Yale's campus.

Because of the construction there were a few things closed/not working during my stay that you may want to check into before planning your visit. The restaurant is completely closed for renovations so there are no food options on-site. The hotel has however worked out a deal with a nearby restaurant for a breakfast discount. The biggest inconvenience I found was that the skyway to the parking garage across the street was closed. It is a fairly busy street to cross and it is a block or two to the closest crosswalk. Strangely you can't use the elevator in the garage after a certain time, and you have to park on levels 2-4, so I had to haul my luggage down the stairs and across three lanes of traffic. Parking runs about $16/day.

Really though overall I couldn't be happier and would absolutely recommend this location to anyone staying in the area. I got the room for a steal on Priceline so the minor inconveniences can be overlooked this time. Had I paid full price...

Either way I will return once the remodel is complete as the New Haven hotel really exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Switzerland
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Loved it. Just stayed one night but I would go back next time I'm in New Haven. Spacious room, huge flat screen TV, coffee/tea facilities in the room and downstairs in the lobby. For a quick stay it was all we needed; fine luxury and nothing too much...just enough. They were remodeling while we were there but it didn't matter. No complaints whatsoever. :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I got a great price for this hotel on hotels.com. It is undergoing renovation but there is no extra noise. The guest rooms are very well appointed and the staff couldn't be nicer. It is right near the omni so there is lots of convenient stuff nearby including restaurants. Very comfortable beds. Thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
MASSACHUSETTS
Reviewed March 22, 2010

we came in to see a play that our friend was in...we thought it was a very nice property with really nice rooms...i love tons of plugs...the restaurant is not open yet but there is a good asian fusion place on the new block...lots of walkable stuff too...i think this hotel is really unknown for some reason but it is a total gem...we will be using this for future new haven stays

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Wow, the beds at this hotel are really really nice. The lobby looks to be a bit of a different style than the rest of the hotel, but the people at the front desk mentioned that they are going to be redoing it shortly. Everything is very neat and clean. Our room had just been renovated and was pristine. I know everything looks better when it is new but I have stayed in a bunch of the hotels in New Haven and this was the nicest room I have been in. We went to Barcelona for tapas, which was really good and one block away. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business