“Block of rooms for a wedding”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Boulder, Colorado
“Block of rooms for a wedding”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We reserved a block of rooms for our son's wedding. We were very pleased at the clean, nicely appointed rooms, spacious lobby for our family reunion, and prompt responses to our needs. The hotel is walking distance to many good restaurants and not too far from the heart of campus. The New Haven Hotel was a great choice for our family event.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2014

New Haven Hotel. I stayed here for one night on a short business trip. It is conveniently located downtown New Haven, but requires a taxi ride if you arrive by train. This is no more than a 5-7 minute ride. The main campus of Yale is a few blocks away, and easily within walking distance. The hotel is a fairly old hotel but appears to have undergone a renovation in recent times, and it is very contemporary in its decoration. Hotel reception was friendly and welcoming, and provided excellent advice on local restaurants for meals. A bonus was the happy hour in the lobby in the evening, serving wine, cheese and finger food. This was delightful. The room was located on the third floor with a nondescript view over back entrances to shops. It was very comfortable, cosy, and with good working space. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was functional, typical of a fairly old hotel. Internet was free, and worked well – strong and stable.

Room Tip: ask always to check inside a room if you have doubts
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I don't look for much. Christmas week it was very quiet. Best pillowtop beds I have seen in years. Good pillow selection, top quality towels, plenty of water pressure in the shower. These are my favorite things. Also a decent hi def TV with actual hi def cable, and a DVD player and fridge to boot. Minimal amenities - no in house food service, no hair conditioner. But there are dozens of great restaurants within a 3 block walk. Relatively reasonable secure parking with in and out access. Overall a great choice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Like another reviewer here, my visit was not for pleasure; it was for a visit to share time with someone in Yale New Haven Hospital. For that purpose, this hotel is very well located.

The facility itself is MUCH nicer than I imagined, although I’ll question the review that called it “best in the US.” It is clean and comfortable; it is very nicely appointed. The room was large, and the reports of recent upgrade are accurate. The business center even had an Apple computer (among others, AND a working printer).

Reservations were easy, staff check-in and out were courteous and professional. Breakfast, too, was better than expected, with equal courtesy and professionalism. I did not use the fitness center or laundry, but I note them as nice amenities.

A very nice lobby, if that’s important, and excellent in-room televisions, too. My partner and I both found the bedding EXTREMELY comfortable.

No complaints; highly recommended; I WILL return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I preface the review by saying that we were in New Haven because a family member was admitted to Yale-New Hospital for emergency surgery. Distraught and fatigued, we arrived at the New Haven Hotel where the staff was kind and very helpful. The hotel was tastefully appointed with classical styling. The chairs and beds were comfortable and the towels and other ancillaries were high quality. The central location of the hotel made it easy to get to the hospital as well as places such as the train station. I hope to return at a time when I can relax and really enjoy the ambience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed at the New Haven about 5 years ago (with a great Priceline deal) and really liked the location, so booked a regular rate for the day after Thanksgiving (but with parking and tax, you've got another $50 tacked on). Rooms were bigger than I remember and the lobby looked a little more grand than I remembered too. Most of the staff was great except for one woman who didn't want to let us park a few extra hours on a very dead Sat. in the garage, but everyone else was fine with it. Big TV, great bathroom and products. It's too bad they don't have a nice lounge but other than that, no complaints. Except that Orangesides donut making machine was broken so we couldn't test those out. Great baked good at Atticus Cafe & Bookstore tho.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My extended family was celebrating Thanksgiving in New Haven (our hometown) at my sister's house and there were too many people for the number of beds in her house, so I surfed the internet and saw that I could get the best deal at the New Haven Hotel (with my AAA membership). I was not familiar with this establishment but the pictures looked nice and it was so reasonable and convenient. I stayed in one room with two Queen beds with my 2 daughters and one of their friends. We loved it - clean, comfortable, large beds with nice linens, very nice staff, attractive lobby, convenient to all locations. I would definitely go back. The only negative was the parking - $20 in the garage across the street. I didn't make a comparison on that but my guess is that it's the same at the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family