“Great value, best beds!”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great value, best beds!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I don't look for much. Christmas week it was very quiet. Best pillowtop beds I have seen in years. Good pillow selection, top quality towels, plenty of water pressure in the shower. These are my favorite things. Also a decent hi def TV with actual hi def cable, and a DVD player and fridge to boot. Minimal amenities - no in house food service, no hair conditioner. But there are dozens of great restaurants within a 3 block walk. Relatively reasonable secure parking with in and out access. Overall a great choice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Like another reviewer here, my visit was not for pleasure; it was for a visit to share time with someone in Yale New Haven Hospital. For that purpose, this hotel is very well located.

The facility itself is MUCH nicer than I imagined, although I’ll question the review that called it “best in the US.” It is clean and comfortable; it is very nicely appointed. The room was large, and the reports of recent upgrade are accurate. The business center even had an Apple computer (among others, AND a working printer).

Reservations were easy, staff check-in and out were courteous and professional. Breakfast, too, was better than expected, with equal courtesy and professionalism. I did not use the fitness center or laundry, but I note them as nice amenities.

A very nice lobby, if that’s important, and excellent in-room televisions, too. My partner and I both found the bedding EXTREMELY comfortable.

No complaints; highly recommended; I WILL return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I preface the review by saying that we were in New Haven because a family member was admitted to Yale-New Hospital for emergency surgery. Distraught and fatigued, we arrived at the New Haven Hotel where the staff was kind and very helpful. The hotel was tastefully appointed with classical styling. The chairs and beds were comfortable and the towels and other ancillaries were high quality. The central location of the hotel made it easy to get to the hospital as well as places such as the train station. I hope to return at a time when I can relax and really enjoy the ambience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed at the New Haven about 5 years ago (with a great Priceline deal) and really liked the location, so booked a regular rate for the day after Thanksgiving (but with parking and tax, you've got another $50 tacked on). Rooms were bigger than I remember and the lobby looked a little more grand than I remembered too. Most of the staff was great except for one woman who didn't want to let us park a few extra hours on a very dead Sat. in the garage, but everyone else was fine with it. Big TV, great bathroom and products. It's too bad they don't have a nice lounge but other than that, no complaints. Except that Orangesides donut making machine was broken so we couldn't test those out. Great baked good at Atticus Cafe & Bookstore tho.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My extended family was celebrating Thanksgiving in New Haven (our hometown) at my sister's house and there were too many people for the number of beds in her house, so I surfed the internet and saw that I could get the best deal at the New Haven Hotel (with my AAA membership). I was not familiar with this establishment but the pictures looked nice and it was so reasonable and convenient. I stayed in one room with two Queen beds with my 2 daughters and one of their friends. We loved it - clean, comfortable, large beds with nice linens, very nice staff, attractive lobby, convenient to all locations. I would definitely go back. The only negative was the parking - $20 in the garage across the street. I didn't make a comparison on that but my guess is that it's the same at the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed in a suite with a king-sized bed - very reasonably priced. The room was nicely furnished and included a couch, desk and a very large TV equipped with a DVD player. The number of outlets on the desk and around the room were impressive - the most I've seen. There were plenty of pillows and the closet came with an ironing board and iron. The walls were decorated with big photos of various Yale buildings.

The negatives: The shower was just ok, with not enough hot water. I'd skip the breakfast as it was so-so - although not expensive. Although the hotel is located only a couple of blocks from nice shopping, restaurants, and Yale, it seems somewhat isolated - especially at night. Where it is on George Street is industrial - across from a parking garage with nothing on that block.

Overall, however, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was in town for interviews at Yale and was very pleased with my stay at the New Haven Hotel. The front desk staff was very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. The lobby is just as beautiful in person as it is in the pictures. The rooms are very nice and clean. Plenty of space. Great wi-fi. My only recommendation to the hotel was that they add conditioner to the toiletries they supply (soap, bath gel, shampoo, and lotion). Otherwise was an excellent stay and I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business