“Just Fine”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Nicely renovated and updated downtown hotel. Room was large and clean. I had king bed in a corner room. Great bed and good quality fixtures. Very quiet,except that I was on the fourth floor near the fitness room - a couple of late night guests could have been more courteous. The good news is the fitness room is open 24/7 which I otherwise enjoyed. The restaurant serves a good value buffet breakfast 7 mornings a week. Monday thru Saturday the manager hosts a complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby between 5pm & 6pm. There is parking on site. Easy to walk to a wide variety of restaurants and bars. Most Yale addresses a 10 - 20 minute walk. Cab ride from the Tweed Regional Airport about $20 tip included.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for New Haven Hotel

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel was chosen by someone else as the place for family to stay for a weekend of memorial services. They didn't have a suite available (there are only 2 apparently) and so we booked a King with sofa bed. When we arrived, the room was not available and we were put in a 2Q room that was very small and really just a regular hotel room - nothing special. The person at the desk gave us vouchers for breakfast and said that the manager would adjust the room rate. He did for that night and then got us a K/sofa bed for the next 2 nights. When I went to check out, the person assured me that the rate was correct (special rate for the memorial and the reservationist had quoted a certain rate). When I was on the airplane, I noticed that the rate was incorrect. It's too late now but I'd suggest that you check carefully before checking out. Don't let the front desk rush you. They don't actually care about whether they tell you the right information. The 2nd night there was a tremendous amount of noise. (The person a few doors down asked to change rooms. We stayed and it was ok on the next night.) The parking is across the street. We didn't have problems but again one of the people we know for the event was locked into the garage (his key didn't work to get him out.) They supposedly serve coffee in the morning but the window must be very short because many of the other people from the memorial woke to find that there was no coffee on either Sat or Sun. As an aside, you need to ask in order to get a shower cap. The bedding for the sofa bed that was available in our room had a sheet that did not fit. The employees on the cleaning staff and in the dining room were very friendly and helpful. This wasn't very special at all - especially compared to the place we stayed in August. I'd go back to that hotel any time. If you have to stay at this hotel, go around the corner to Orangeside at Temple to get some donuts.

Room Tip: The King with sofa bed is definitely better than 2 Q. Ask for a higher room so that you might have...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had stayed at the New Haven Hotel 6-7 years ago, on business, and made a reservation there recently for family travel -- we were to arrive late at the train station and the rental car agencies all close early, so we decided to spend a night in New Haven before traveling to our final destination. I was traveling with my son (10) and my mother, so I reserved a room with two queen beds. Upon our arrival, I was told that I should have called to hold my reservation . . . what? I thought that was why I MADE a reervation - so a room would be ready when we arrived. and the lady was pretty snippy about it, like I should have KNOWN that the email confirmation wasn't sufficient to hold the room. Our train was late, but still, we're talking 10 PM here, not 2 AM! They had a room for us, but it was one bed and a pullout sofa. That worked fine, but stiil, what's the point of a reservation if it doesn't reserve a room? They did comp us breakfast and it was delicious, so all was good, overall. The rooms have been nicely renovated and are spacious. The only other problems were that it was VERY hot in our room and we could not figure out how to turn the heat down - and didn't want to call someone up so late, as we were very tired by that point. Also, the heating system was loud all night long. But again, the hotel is beautiful, it's convenient to the train station, and the breakfast was great. The hotel seems a bit pricey but that seems true for all of New Haven based on what I found online.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lisab99
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stay here for 1 night. Hotel is central to New Haven so all attractions such as the University, bars, cinemas and restaurants are in walking distance. You can leave you car outside the hotel to unload but then the parking garage is over the road (but for an extra $20), also breakfast was not included (this was another $12) (previous hotels/inns we stayed at gave a free breakfast). Our room was on the 6th floor and was quiet, comfortable and warm. The bed was good and the bathroom/toilet of good size. There was a managers welcoming between 5 and 6pm so went to this as offering a free glass of wine and cheese. Check in staff pleasant and no problems with check out. There is free wi-fi in the rooms and also they did offer complimentary coffee when we left (as didn't have the breakfast). Overall a good stay.

You can book rooms on the internet as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having stayed here once a month for a year, I have to say that the consistently good service and classy, spacious rooms are a real draw. It is close to all things New Haven, so no need to rent a car on most occasions, which is good, because parking is, unfortunately, the only real drawback. It's $20 a day in an garage across the street. The garage is locked, which is good, but fumbling with your luggage up & down the steps is no fun. Someone needs to reopen the elevated breezeway between the hotel & garage, which is in their photos, but not usable--so don't be fooled. And don't expect any discounts if you are a frequent guest--there is no incentive program for loyal guests. However, I will keep coming back, because, aside from the garage and lack of incentive program, it is an excellent hotel. Now there is a happy hour in the evening in the lovely lobby--so I consider that my loyalty program. This is the best hotel in New Haven---I've stayed at others, and, for the moderate price, nothing comes close.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank E W
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked 3 weeks before arrival and day before arrival rate dropped $30 on several websites (after cancel period expired). I was given handicapped accessible room without asking me at front desk if ok with it ( I'm not handicapped). Weekend parking across street at closed garaged cost alot time consuming and overpriced ($20 per day)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The New Haven Hotel is an older hotel close to Yale. We found it easily and check-in went smoothly with a friendly welcome. When we arrived at our room we found that it abutted some type of mechanical area which caused the room to buzz and vibrate. After calling the front desk they moved us to a quiet room down the hall. The staff was very accommodating and helped with this move, including delivering the new keys to us. (Why didn't they give us that room first?)
This room was quiet. The bed was comfortable, although I would have liked a better pillow. I slept well which is what I want in a hotel. The bathroom was clean and had a shower/tub. Our TV did not work, but was probably due to needing new batteries in the remote. All in all a good, but not great, stay at this property. I think it is a good value and will stay here again.

Room Tip: 1) Request a quiet room away from the mechanical service area. 2) Use the self-park across the st...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Duncan Hotel
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!