“Clean, Comfortable, Great Location and Price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Barcelona, Spain
“Clean, Comfortable, Great Location and Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here while on a scouting trip with my daughter. The location was great, being close to shops, restaurants and the university. The rooms were very nice, great pillows and comfortable beds with a nice large TV. The business room was nice with no charge to print documents. the breakfast options were also good, with a good selection of items that didnt feel like the cheap Walmart-stocked type you normally get. Overall this is a very comfortable place from the minute you walk in to the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 125txspanaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was placed here by a third party for a business trip. This was my second trip to New Haven. I didn't have my car so I was limited in travel to what I could do on foot. The location is excellent. I was able to walk to Yale University, the Downtown New Haven area, and plenty of places to eat. The rooms were clean and well kept and had plenty of room. The Wifi was free and at a good enough speed for me to use Facetime to talk to my daughter each night. All of the famous restaurants were in walking distance, Louis' Lunch was right around the corner and Pepe's Pizza and Sally's were about a mile walk, but you get to walk through a nice neighborhood to get there. There is also a Walgreens in walking distance, but I don't recommend walking much past that by yourself at night. I never ate at the hotel so I don't know how that food was. There was also a movie theater near by. So it was great for a business trip, I would be happy to stay here again. I was there for about a week. The one odd thing is there were a lot of hookers at this hotel and they didn't seem to be hiding the fact. They were young girls dressed in very short skirts and they seemed to be chipping in for the room which makes me wonder if someone at the front desk is giving them some kind of deal or sneaking them into a room. I never saw them soliciting or wandering the hallways so it didn't really bother me. And before you ask yourself if I am just judging them because of how they were dressed, I can only say trust me, I know what I was seeing and I wasn't the only one in my group that noticed it and pointed it out.

Room Tip: No idea on value, I didn't pay for the room. If you want to get drinks and snacks for the room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was here for one night as I was seeing Yale.

This hotel was central to the University, shops, rite aid etc. I walked everywhere so it was easy to get anywhere.

The room was lovely, it was a really nice feel.

The hotel in general is nice. The foyer, lobby and breakfast areas were all very modern and stylish. They had a wine and cheese hour while I was there which was also good.

Would definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a friendly staff and clean, spacious rooms. The social hour with wine and cheese was very nice. It is an easy walk to Yale, shopping, and great restaurants. My only complaint is the walls are a bit thin.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dackwest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I reserved this room at the last minute but was happy with my stay. The only reason I didn't give it an overall 5 was because there was no swimming pool. And they charge you $20 a day for hotel parking. The employees were professional and room very clean. The bed slept very comfortably and for an extra $13 you could have a buffet breakfast on the premise. A little pricey but I'd stay again, it's about comfort.

• Stayed July 2013
Freedom ,New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My daughter and I took a road trip to CT to eat at Pepe's and see the ocean.We are country people.We are from Western NY,south of Buffalo.It was a 7 hour trip.We got a coupon from a welcome brochure at the CT Welcome Center.We drove around new haven for an hour,and checking out another well known chain,it did not look so great.I am a clean freak.I do not stay anywhere and was skeptical about a city hotel.We checked on trip advisor and saw the great ratings and it helped us decide.So after frustration of driving around and passing the new haven hotel,we stopped.Wow,the front desk was friendly,this place was beautiful.It's decorated nice.It's clean.VERY CLEAN.It's convenient.I would stay again and Pepe's pizza was great,and so was the Italian Bakery Chocolate Italian Ice.The people we met in lines were nice.Besides some noise from the college kids,(it's near Yale) and sirens,it was not our private country road where we live,but for being in the city,it way exceeded our expectations and I was so relieved to have a clean place,and I must say,free fast internet.Beds were so cozy too.VERY NICE : )

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

After a four hour car ride, I was looking forward to checking in to this supposedly well-appointed hotel.. and boy was I disappointed.

Firstly, our room was on the second floor RIGHT IN FRONT OF the restaurant. Being light sleepers (and not early risers), I called down to see a) when breakfast started and b) if we could switch our room but was curtly told that not to worry it wasn't loud but breakfast started at 7am and oh, there were absolutely no rooms available in the hotel (which I found very hard to believe based on who I'd seen in the lobby, etc). We were going to argue with them so we just stuck with the room and hoped it would be quiet.

Surely enough, at about 6:55am, I was awoken by people getting ready to have breakfast... right outside our room. Since we were both awake, we decided to get out EARLY and just get the heck out of there. We don't go on overnight trips to be awoken early the next morning which is exactly why I asked to switch rooms. We would've paid to upgrade, if that was the problem. I was incredibly disappointed by the customer service here - some of the worst I've ever experienced. And since our trip was cut short, I'd love to know if they are going to refund me half my money!

Not to mention our room was literally the size of a closet - very tight for two people in my opinion. I've stayed in bigger hotel rooms in the middle of downtown NYC. At least, we found the room to be clean and the location of the hotel to be very convenient.

Oh and another thing - if you are driving be prepared to be pay $23 to park your car, even if it is for one night. The garage actually advertises it for $16/day but the hotel charges you $23 explain that one to me! And they make it seem like indoor parking is an "upgrade for an additional fee" when it is in actuality your only option except street parking.

For almost $200/night, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - there are far better hotels in New Haven!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 12 in New Haven
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!