“Excellent hotel at excellent price”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We recently stayed for a long weekend at the New Haven Hotel. The property appears to have been recently renovated and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. The bathroom is large with plenty of counter top space. Parking is in a covered deck across the street from the hotel with a nightly rate of $18.00, which isn't terrible considering the deck is secured by a steel door. There are numerous restaurants within easy walking distance and a multi-screen theater just around the corner. I would most certainlybstaybhere again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times now, great experience each time. The rate is reasonable, the rooms are very clean and it's a short walk to several restaurants. I was kept awake one night by some noise that I couldn't identify (strange) but I can't say the hotel had anything to do with it.

Great choice for business travel, it has what you need to get through the trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The New Haven Hotel was our conference hotel for a meeting I attended at Yale University in early January 2013. The property has been recently renovated, the rooms are clean and spacious, and my room had a large flat-screen television. The large king bed was comfortable and the shower was excellent. We were disappointed there was no restaurant or bar in the hotel to gather with colleagues, but it is close to many excellent bars and dining places in downtown New Haven. The hotel offers an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet for $14.95 which is pretty average; there are better places for breakfast around the hotel. There is also a "mini store" where drinks and snacks can be purchased. There is no room service available.

I found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant. However, the maid that cleaned my room only made the bed and gave me new towels, she didn't vacuum the floor. The close proximity to Yale makes this hotel very convenient. We received a conference rate for our rooms so it was quite reasonable; I find the normal rates to be a little high for what you get, but I'm sure this hotel does a big business when Yale is in session.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a really good business hotel. Located close to the railway station and within a 10-minute walk of the main uni buildings. Large and recently refurbished rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. A couple of things the need to fix:
1. go the extra mile and get the proper version of Microsoft Office on their computers
2. upgrade the breakfasts which are absolutely gross!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Michael E
Reviewed November 24, 2012

good value.nothing great but it is not expencive, the lobby is large and very well decked out with a massive tv,the staff were very helpfull and gave me a free mending kit to sew with,only problem was the air con outside my window and making a noise all night the breckfast was $15.00 and as much as you could eat the breckfast server could not have been more helpfull,polite and well mannered, do please note any one who reads this, it is not within reason what you spend,what do you get for your money! i stayed on the 15,16 nov and would recomend this hotel

Room Tip: make sure you have a quiet room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LondonTourman
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights for a conference just a few days after Hurricane Sandy hit us in NYC. I arrived feeling pretty sad, stressed and overwhelmed. Arriving at the New Haven Hotel was a pleasure. I had called earlier to let them know I would be coming in on a later train due problems getting out of the city. The staff was extremely warm and welcoming when I came in, and kindly asked about the state of Manhattan. It was so nice to be greeted with care and concern.

I stayed in room 622, which I absolutely loved. The bed was a very comfortable king, and there was a very pretty couch to relax on after a long day of business. The work station was also excellent: very large and comfortable with plenty of places to plug in and charge up my phone/laptop/MP3. There was also a huge flatscreen television and a super user-friendly DVD player, which came in quite handy for a presentation I needed to fine-tune involving a video showing. Also, there is a smaller desk on wheels that was very nice for some of the smaller projects I needed to do directly on my computer.

The decor was also very nice: warm color on the walls, rich dark wood headboard and furniture, and a comfy blue mod couch with great lighting. I was also really pleased with the sheer amount of space in the room. My colleagues stayed in a similarly priced hotel a block away, and I felt for the money, I had the far more spacious and comfortable room.

The staff was lovely during check-in and check-out, and they were great about recommending local restaurants when I needed to get delivery.

The only things I think I missed were some firmer pillows (the ones they had were VERY squishy) and a tub. The stand-up shower was great, but I think after a long day working, it might have been nice to have a bath!

Overall, I would highly recommend the New Haven Hotel, especially those traveling on business. Expect a large, newly renovated room, great service, and a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher up have a bit nicer view and are not exposed as much to the nearby rooftop hea...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EezJoostMe
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is newly renovated which makes up for its being in a not yet quite good neighborhood (at least at night when you need to use your key card to enter the hotel after 9PM). It's a short walk to the Chapel Street restaurants and shops, a longer walk to the main Yale campus but close enough. Our room was ready early, it was large and spotless. The hotel could do a better job of having slightly more upscale amenities (better coffee in the rooms, better soaps, an extra box of tissues...) to fit in with its obvious desire to be a "Yale" hotel (all of the lovely photos are of Yale buildings and, in the small but very adequate health club, photos of Yale athletes). The lobby is large and well appointed but could use some additions like a coffee maker, some cold water or even some newspapers. There were many very nice seating areas that would have been more inviting with drinks or newspapers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Duncan Hotel
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!