“Perfect Stay”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Berkeley
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed one quick night at this hotel, while visiting Yale. It's walking distance to the train station if you have light/rolling luggage. The hotel is beautifully redone, clean, and well organized. Our room was impeccable and very well "wired" - with all the plugs, outlets and other things one needs today when travelling. The staff were efficient and the price - for someone who lives in the SF Bay Area and is used to SF/NYC prices - was extremely low for the quality of the accomodations. Look no further when staying in New Haven.

Speaking of New Haven, it has such a bad rap but we loved it. So many great little restaurants - from around the world. We had great middle easter food, and to our suprise, a fantastic Oaxacan meal at a restaurant run by people from India - gotta love it. The town is multicultural/international (a huge plus for us); much of the downtown has been really nicely restored; and it's clean and very friendly.

A suprisingly nice experience in New Haven.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor and had a view over the roofs of New Haven, which includes a lot of nice c...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Berkeley_CA_USA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 20, 2012

This downtown hotel has been completely renovated. The rooms are modern and very comfortable, with free and fast in-room WiFi. The information for guests was very helpful, with a listing of restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Equipment on roof can be heard in some rooms on the top (7th) floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank copernicus2011
DxB
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in early Jan 2012. We booked thru the hotel's website and checked in around 2 am; no problems whatsoever. We were given a room with the features we requested without us asking or double checking. The hotel has a cozy feel to it and the consistency of staff, housekeeping, etc. makes it feel more like home. We enjoyed the comfy beds, the flat screen TV (though it could use a better channel lineup), and took advantage of the fridge, and the microwave/pantry facilities. Wifi is fast and reliable and the business center is accessible 24/7, all free of charge. The lobby is beautiful, ultra clean and inviting with several seating areas and flat screen TVs.

The front desk staff is always eager to help, once sent a fax for us, received and stored our delayed luggage in the middle of the night while we were asleep, and called a cab on multiple occasions in previous stays. Nothing is ever a bother, everyone is always there to help.

Once again, this is the best deal in town. Thank you NH Hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I held an event at this hotel in August 2011. From the start of planning in 2010, they were responsive and accommodating. Our stay was PERFECT. The hotel is newly remodeled and absolutely lovely. There is plenty of local dining in the area, including a great diner directly across the street. There is a movie theater around the corner from the hotel and other businesses in the immediate area. The hotel is about 5 minutes or so from the Amtrak train station.

Two things that people may want to know:

1) There seems to be a new trend with hotel remodeling where they only have showers and no bathtubs. That was the case with my room and I believe the same to be true with others in our party. That's not a problem for me, it's actually a bonus. But just something I thought you'd like to know.

2) The hotel dining area (breakfast only) is on the second floor across from guest rooms. The area is not closed off, so the neighboring guest rooms may be able to hear what's going on in that area. Not a major problem, just ask to be placed on another floor or down the hall from the dining area.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for floors other than 2.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Guyfromfaraway
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The New Haven hotel is located right in downtown New Haven and is close to pretty much everything. It's been recently refurbished to a very high standard and the staff are very friendly and super helpful. The rooms are clean and excellent quality. For the price, this hotel can't be beaten if you want to stay downtown.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TomM013
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I travel all over the country for my job and have never had an experience as simultaneously great and awful at the same time. I've stayed in at least 75 hotels in the last 4 months. This is the first one I've felt the need to review.

The hotel is among the best and classiest I've stayed at in its price range. The lobby/first floor area is downright beautiful. The rooms are spacious and decked out with modern technology :(or at least ours was) jacks to plug your laptop into their gorgeous 42 inch hd flat screens, more than enough conveniently located power jacks for every gadget you may have brought...even a dvd player, something I've probably only seen at one other hotel.

The room we were supplied with was clean, the beds incredibly cozy, and all in all, the early part of our day led to the best afternoon nap I've had while on tour.

However, around 12:30 am, when I decided to try to go to bed, the misery began, and I'm writing this review in bed as we speak.

It's not simply the noise that is keeping me awake and miserable. It's the reverberations. I can not only loudly hear but actually, physically FEEL the steps and movements of every guest, next to, below, and above me, while I'm lying in bed. It's more than unnerving. Every door that opens or shuts, every time they turn on a bathroom fan...everything. It travels straight through the paper thin walls/ceilings and rattles me. It is utterly awful, but honestly I see no suggestion for a solution that I could offer.

I've never been a light sleeper before. This is bar none the worst sleeping experience I've ever endured. I'll be going to work in the morning with VERY little shut eye achieved. I don't know how they could reinsulate the walls and/or ceilings here, but honestly this building itself is worthless as a hotel in its current sound amplifying state.

I'd ask to switch rooms, but it's 2 in the morning and I have to be up at 5:45 anyway.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank KyleHenny
west bridgewater, ma
Reviewed December 19, 2011

What a great location if you need to stay in downtown New Haven!
My room was a corner room. After opening my door with the key, I had to walk down a private hall to enter the bedroom. I had a good impression upon entering the room with the beds. My room had two queen beds. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Wifi is available in the room, and a large screen tv.
The bathroom looks nice too, but watch yourself! The bathroom floor is slippery when wet. The coffeemaker is in the bathroom.
It wasn't totally quiet. I'm not certain whether sound came from the street or another room. It didn't bother me. I slept well.
The most irritating thing about the hotel is the parking. Guests must pay an extra 17-18 dollars a day to use the lot across the street which is currently being renovated. At this times guests use a garage two blocks from the hotel. The hotel is not cheap so I naturally would have preferred for parking to be included. Since it was Saturday night, I parked on the street and saved a few bucks.
Overall this is a funtional hotel that suited my purpose well. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo