“Paper thin walls and ceilings make this place seem haunted”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
“Paper thin walls and ceilings make this place seem haunted”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I travel all over the country for my job and have never had an experience as simultaneously great and awful at the same time. I've stayed in at least 75 hotels in the last 4 months. This is the first one I've felt the need to review.

The hotel is among the best and classiest I've stayed at in its price range. The lobby/first floor area is downright beautiful. The rooms are spacious and decked out with modern technology :(or at least ours was) jacks to plug your laptop into their gorgeous 42 inch hd flat screens, more than enough conveniently located power jacks for every gadget you may have brought...even a dvd player, something I've probably only seen at one other hotel.

The room we were supplied with was clean, the beds incredibly cozy, and all in all, the early part of our day led to the best afternoon nap I've had while on tour.

However, around 12:30 am, when I decided to try to go to bed, the misery began, and I'm writing this review in bed as we speak.

It's not simply the noise that is keeping me awake and miserable. It's the reverberations. I can not only loudly hear but actually, physically FEEL the steps and movements of every guest, next to, below, and above me, while I'm lying in bed. It's more than unnerving. Every door that opens or shuts, every time they turn on a bathroom fan...everything. It travels straight through the paper thin walls/ceilings and rattles me. It is utterly awful, but honestly I see no suggestion for a solution that I could offer.

I've never been a light sleeper before. This is bar none the worst sleeping experience I've ever endured. I'll be going to work in the morning with VERY little shut eye achieved. I don't know how they could reinsulate the walls and/or ceilings here, but honestly this building itself is worthless as a hotel in its current sound amplifying state.

I'd ask to switch rooms, but it's 2 in the morning and I have to be up at 5:45 anyway.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank KyleHenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
west bridgewater, ma
Reviewed December 19, 2011

What a great location if you need to stay in downtown New Haven!
My room was a corner room. After opening my door with the key, I had to walk down a private hall to enter the bedroom. I had a good impression upon entering the room with the beds. My room had two queen beds. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Wifi is available in the room, and a large screen tv.
The bathroom looks nice too, but watch yourself! The bathroom floor is slippery when wet. The coffeemaker is in the bathroom.
It wasn't totally quiet. I'm not certain whether sound came from the street or another room. It didn't bother me. I slept well.
The most irritating thing about the hotel is the parking. Guests must pay an extra 17-18 dollars a day to use the lot across the street which is currently being renovated. At this times guests use a garage two blocks from the hotel. The hotel is not cheap so I naturally would have preferred for parking to be included. Since it was Saturday night, I parked on the street and saved a few bucks.
Overall this is a funtional hotel that suited my purpose well. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank moonriverguy
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed here at the end of August and planned to stay two nights. As Hurricane Irene approached, we changed our travel plans and opted to stay an additional night. The front desk staff was very accommodating and helped us when we asked about where we could purchase flashlights, bottled water, etc. which in the end we didn't need. We stayed in a king room with a sofa bed--newly renovated, very clean, and very comfortable. Obtaining extra towels and blankets was easy and swift. During our first two mornings we ate breakfast at nearby restaurants/coffee shops, but our third morning we opted for the in-house breakfast which was fine and the staff provided excellent service. The hotel is just around the corner from the excellent Criterion cinema house. The location is excellent for visiting Yale and a much better value than the Study. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GoGoMaMa
Malvern, PA
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised. The renovated hotel was comfortable and well situated. The style was minimalist but had all the comforts you would need. Great IT setup in the room especially. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice. My only complaint is the toilet is a commercial style (hardly a big deal) and I didn't notice the bathmat on the rail in the shower stall until after I turned it on. If I had my glasses on, this probably wouldn't have been a problem. The staff was exceptionally nice and I was running late in the morning and the breakfast room staff went to the trouble to let me know there is no restaurant at Tweed, then grab me a bag for my banana and yogurt and give me an idea of timing to the airport. Very nice! I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vanessa W
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great comfy hotel with friendly staff but don't count on the in-room wifi. I've been up here on business for a few days a week for a couple months and really appreciate the staff and newly refurbished rooms. However, I have spent hours talking with the Fusion Hotspot support trying to get a connection in my room. It can be very spotty and time consuming and the hotel takes no responsibility.

Room Tip: Use small business center open 24/7 if you can't get connected.
3 Thank ckhnyc
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The hotel is recently renovated and it had the features of a similarly priced name brand hotel. The bed and comforter were both very comfortable and from that stand the sleep quality was excellent. It was a very noisy room though. The pipes and the refrigerator hummed and clinked all night, and while that sounds whiney, it truly impacted my quality of sleep.

I didn't try the breakfast buffet, but it seemed expensive for the price of the room.

The location was great, but probably not better or worse than the Marriott or The Study.

1 Thank kballtraveler
San Francisco
Reviewed November 16, 2011

If you want to be able to check into the room you pre-paid for, then I would stay elsewhere. The New Haven Hotel broke our contract when they did not let me check in despite my having a "guaranteed reservation". There is no fine print in their contract saying they reserve the right to do this, but they did it anyway.

This was particularly unpleasant for me because I arrived around 10pm on a Friday after flying across the country for a professional conference at Yale University that began the next morning at 8am. Instead of trying to put me up in a hotel of similar quality and location, they sent me to the Clarion in Hamden, CT.

Much to my surprise, when I arrived at the Clarion they had no record of the New Haven Hotel having contacted them and I had to pay for the room myself. The overall rudeness of the New Haven Hotel staff and the fact that I literally lost four hours dealing with this issue (including transit to and from Hamden, CT), means I will never ever stay at The New Haven Hotel again, or with any of the hotels owned by the Newport Hotel Group.

Yale University found out that at least five other conference attendees had their "guaranteed reservations" broken at the same time by the New Haven Hotel. After repeated conversations with the hotel management (including the Director of Operations at the Newport Hotel Group), I have simply received an offer of one free night.

Thus, I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am in the process of contacting Connecticut attorneys to pursue legal action for breach of contract.

If you want to be able to check into your room when you arrive at the hotel, I would recommend staying somewhere else in town. I would recommend either The Study or The Omni. Please note that the Courtyard by Marriot in New Haven is also owned by the Newport Hotel Group so you are likely to receive equally horrible treatment there as well.

In case you care about whether you will actually be able to check into your hotel upon arrival, here is a list of all of the hotels operated by the Newport Hotel Group so you can avoid them in your future travels:

Do I sound a little bitter? Yes, I am.

Best of luck with your travels in New Haven, I hope they are better than mine. Cheers!

9 Thank Nicholas W