“Great staff”
Review of New Haven Hotel

New Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed here at the end of August and planned to stay two nights. As Hurricane Irene approached, we changed our travel plans and opted to stay an additional night. The front desk staff was very accommodating and helped us when we asked about where we could purchase flashlights, bottled water, etc. which in the end we didn't need. We stayed in a king room with a sofa bed--newly renovated, very clean, and very comfortable. Obtaining extra towels and blankets was easy and swift. During our first two mornings we ate breakfast at nearby restaurants/coffee shops, but our third morning we opted for the in-house breakfast which was fine and the staff provided excellent service. The hotel is just around the corner from the excellent Criterion cinema house. The location is excellent for visiting Yale and a much better value than the Study. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GoGoMaMa

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised. The renovated hotel was comfortable and well situated. The style was minimalist but had all the comforts you would need. Great IT setup in the room especially. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice. My only complaint is the toilet is a commercial style (hardly a big deal) and I didn't notice the bathmat on the rail in the shower stall until after I turned it on. If I had my glasses on, this probably wouldn't have been a problem. The staff was exceptionally nice and I was running late in the morning and the breakfast room staff went to the trouble to let me know there is no restaurant at Tweed, then grab me a bag for my banana and yogurt and give me an idea of timing to the airport. Very nice! I would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Vanessa W
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great comfy hotel with friendly staff but don't count on the in-room wifi. I've been up here on business for a few days a week for a couple months and really appreciate the staff and newly refurbished rooms. However, I have spent hours talking with the Fusion Hotspot support trying to get a connection in my room. It can be very spotty and time consuming and the hotel takes no responsibility.

Room Tip: Use small business center open 24/7 if you can't get connected.
3  Thank ckhnyc
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The hotel is recently renovated and it had the features of a similarly priced name brand hotel. The bed and comforter were both very comfortable and from that stand the sleep quality was excellent. It was a very noisy room though. The pipes and the refrigerator hummed and clinked all night, and while that sounds whiney, it truly impacted my quality of sleep.

I didn't try the breakfast buffet, but it seemed expensive for the price of the room.

The location was great, but probably not better or worse than the Marriott or The Study.

1  Thank kballtraveler
Reviewed November 16, 2011

If you want to be able to check into the room you pre-paid for, then I would stay elsewhere. The New Haven Hotel broke our contract when they did not let me check in despite my having a "guaranteed reservation". There is no fine print in their contract saying they reserve the right to do this, but they did it anyway.

This was particularly unpleasant for me because I arrived around 10pm on a Friday after flying across the country for a professional conference at Yale University that began the next morning at 8am. Instead of trying to put me up in a hotel of similar quality and location, they sent me to the Clarion in Hamden, CT.

Much to my surprise, when I arrived at the Clarion they had no record of the New Haven Hotel having contacted them and I had to pay for the room myself. The overall rudeness of the New Haven Hotel staff and the fact that I literally lost four hours dealing with this issue (including transit to and from Hamden, CT), means I will never ever stay at The New Haven Hotel again, or with any of the hotels owned by the Newport Hotel Group.

Yale University found out that at least five other conference attendees had their "guaranteed reservations" broken at the same time by the New Haven Hotel. After repeated conversations with the hotel management (including the Director of Operations at the Newport Hotel Group), I have simply received an offer of one free night.

Thus, I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am in the process of contacting Connecticut attorneys to pursue legal action for breach of contract.

If you want to be able to check into your room when you arrive at the hotel, I would recommend staying somewhere else in town. I would recommend either The Study or The Omni. Please note that the Courtyard by Marriot in New Haven is also owned by the Newport Hotel Group so you are likely to receive equally horrible treatment there as well.

In case you care about whether you will actually be able to check into your hotel upon arrival, here is a list of all of the hotels operated by the Newport Hotel Group so you can avoid them in your future travels:

Do I sound a little bitter? Yes, I am.

Best of luck with your travels in New Haven, I hope they are better than mine. Cheers!

9  Thank Nicholas W
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Hotel is recently renovated. Big flat TV, nice beds, good shower. Only weaker thing were the towels. Service was fast and professional. A block away from the famous Louis Burgers.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the New Haven Hotel for a wedding in November 2011. The hotel was centrally located (no more than a few blocks from everything downtown) and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and had excellent flat screen TVs. My only disappointments were that the hotel did not offer room service, did not have a bar and had a rather disappointing breakfast buffet. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would return if I ever visited New Haven again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Duncan Hotel
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!