“Wonderful overnight stay!”

New Haven Village Suites
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a great hotel and I would stay any time I am in New Haven. The Staff is fantastic and will help you with anything. The rooms are a good size and allow you to control the heat/ac (cannot do this in most hotels because they preset the temp.). The rooms also come fully equipt in case you'd like to cook, but they also have a complimentary breakfast and dinner. Overall, a great price with great service make it hard to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: They have two size rooms, one bedroom and two bedroom loft.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Howell, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently stayed here because our son had a lacrosse tournament at Yale. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There was a complimentary full breakfast which was also lovely. The room and grounds could use an overhaul. The couch was stained and smelt musty. The glass sliding door has a broken seal so it was cloudy and had water damage at the base. (see photos). The grout on the entrance way tiles were so dirty. I would not walk barefoot in any part of this suite. The room had a kitchenette but had no trash can anywhere!

Also, location was strange. It seemed as if we were pulling into a parking lot of an industrial complex and off to the side, is where the hotel was located. Nothing was in walking distance- no restaurants or stores.

No pool.

Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New Haven hotels

Montvale, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in similar places like this over the NE of the US and this one ranks at the botom of all. Yes, they rent out mini appartmetns with spare rooms and a kitchen, but all in all the place is in poor repair (old and worn), the slit between room dor and outside, invites limbo dancers and the beds are as worn a the carpet. All that is once you a. find it and b. are brave enough to go in.
The worst part though was that I stayed here during a period of snow and despite the sjow being forecasted for a week,there was no clearing of snow whatsoever. I can accept that by 6:30 am on the same that little snow is clear bit after two days I was still sliding down the stairs on frozen ground. For comparison: in NJ I stayed at a similar hotel and there not only was the path cleared by 7:00 am, but I also got help clearing out the car w/o even asking. The guy showed up while I was trying to find the door handle.
Food area and food is subpar and had me go back to local restaurants or order in.

In shirt: a place to rest your head, if weary, but comfort is something entirely different...

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Unfortunately the choices for hotels in the area are greatly limited. We checked in to one of the suites. Our first room had stains all over the couches. I then asked to change rooms. These couches were also stained and after being in the second room for no more than 45 minutes, my kids feet were BLACK from the dirt in the carpeting. When I complained to the manager, she suggested having the carpets cleaned, but they would be left "damp". She said they have the carpets cleaned 4 times a year. Perhaps they should consider replacing the carpets. We also had either a moldy pillow or a severly stained one. They didn't vacuum or clean the bathrooms every day. (We had been to the beach, so there was some sand in the bathroom.) The staff at the hotel was nice and polite. I feel sorry for them for having to work in such a dump!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DeWitt, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

(This is an update of a review I did in December, 2012, reflecting changes the hotel has made since then.)

The Premiere is in a somewhat odd location in the long wharf area of New Haven, but don't let that deter you. Our room was a great value and ranks in quality with other hotels in the area that cost far more.

Our room was actually more like a small studio apartment, or what other hotels call an extended-stay suite--only the furnishings were much better than what I've experienced at extended-stay hotels. The breakfast, included in the price, was pretty good.

At previous stays I expressed my disappointment over the absence of in-room wifi. When I visited in December, there was an ethernet connection that you could use with a laptop, but if, like me, you use an iPad, you were out of luck and had to use the wifi in the main building where the breakfast is served, a minor inconvenience. I’m happy to report that on my most recent visit wifi had been installed for the individual rooms and I had no problem connecting, thus eliminating that flaw.

I did experience a different minor nuisance in my latest visit. The room keys are now flimsy cardboard with magnetic strips, very vulnerable to bending in your pocket. My keys didn’t work after returning from a day of activities and I had to get new ones from the office. They readily replaced them, but pointed out that the problem was the bent cardboard, as if to say it was my fault and that their use of cheap materials wasn’t the cause. I stated my case on this point and let it go at that.

I’ve read about the experiences of some other reviewers and can only say that in four visits, I have not yet experienced the same issues that they report.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor, but did not see an elevator to the second floor. If stairs are an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe H
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

First, if you book through TripAdvisor, you will be charged at time of booking. Was a bit surprised, but it was OK. When I called back a month later to change dates for stay, agent checked to see if prices had changed, and they had gone down. That was nice.

We had a loft suite. It is a good size. King bed and bath down stairs along with small kitchenette and pullout sofa in small 'living room.' In loft, queen bed with another bath. That's nice. You could get a good number of people in one room. Breakfast in morning was fine, but not great. Evening meal was OK, but not great. Staff was very pleasant.

Price was more reasonable than other places in New Haven. This is likely because it is in the middle of an industrial area. Not much else very nearby. Kitchenette does need updating. And as mentioned by other(s), cleaning needs to improve. Top of fan above stove was not clean. We had popcorn on first night and a large piece fell on floor by desk in living room. It was still there the next two mornings. Toilet seat had cracks and pieces missing. Lots of other little things needing to be attended to, fixed, corrected. There is a small guest laundry room. Next door is the hotel laundry room where, of course, there are large washers and dryers. The large laundry room vents into the small guest laundry room, making it much too hot and humid for any guests to do any laundry.

I guess I can understand why some people may give this higher marks. I cannot and if were in the area again, I would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family