“Not bad but not the best”

Libby's Italian Pastry Shop
Ranked #2 of 19 Bakeries in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Hours not listed
Description: Hours not listed
new york
“Not bad but not the best”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Growing up as an Italian American and living in New York City for most of my life, I was curious and interested to try this Italian Pastry Shop since I had read many great reviews. The reviews you will read online regarding the poor service, unfortunately, are pretty spot on. There was not one person in the whole place who smiled or said thank you or even seemed remotely interested in being somewhat pleasant. I went here with my mom and aunt on my birthday after having visited Frank Pepe's next door. They opted for chocolate ices which they said were unbelievably delicious and actually very creamy for Italian Ices. I had the Gelato which was also quite delicious. My mother told me later on that she asked the girl behind the counter if they had a candle so she could sneak it onto my Gelato as a cute little gesture but the girl looked at her like she had three heads and said "We don't have those here". My mom said "You guys sell birthday cakes, no?" and she just shrugged and walked away. It was not that much of a big deal but a better attitude goes a long way and it's something that would make me not want to return to a place no matter how good their products are. I say go if you are in the area, otherwise don't waste your time. There are much more pleasant places out there that make the whole experience better.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank happy2review

Connecticut
“Old Italian feel”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Not many places around that have that Italian cafe feel. Sit down and people watch as you sip your capichino and eat a canolli. Hope I spelled those two correctly.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank BucksterC
North Haven, Connecticut
“Neat place - good pastry!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Very good pastry. They offer Libby's Ice of course which is commercially available, too. You can get espresso, cappucino, etc. too while enjoying your pastry. They have a wealth of concoctions available. Don't go when on a diet, OK?

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Linda L
Westport, Connecticut
“funky old place, good gelato but poor layout”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The gelato was pretty good, but the fact that folks who bought coffee or espresso stepped on our feet (since that was the only way for them to exit the coffee area) as we waited in line was a bummer.

Visited July 2012
Naugatuck, Connecticut
“Pastery heaven, melt in your mouth!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We visited primarily after having dinner next door and were wowed by the dessert offerings and the old school charm of days gone by, the toughest thing to do is decide which delectible dessert to enjoy! Priced fair you will want to try more then one!

Visited March 2012