“Stay away from this place! Be forewarned!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Haven Inn

New Haven Inn
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Rochester, NY
“Stay away from this place! Be forewarned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

We were taking our son on some college visits. Money was tight. I booked this hotel through Choice Hotels, never checked the reviews. Big Mistake! We arrived at 12:30am after driving 7 hours in the rain. We were exhausted. We got to our room and I couldn't believe it. The place is run down, grafitti on the walls, the fridge and microwave they claim to have either don't exist or are broken. As we were getting ready to settle in I decided to check the windows...the one wouldn't lock, anyone could open it and get in. I called and asked if we could have a board or something to cram in the window to keep us safe, they offered us another room on the first floor. My son and I entered the room, dark, the light switch wasn't working, found a light and couldn't believe our eyes! I wish I had taken photos to post. This was worse, by far, from the original room. Holes in the walls, from where towel bars and other things had been ripped from the walls. It was horrible. At this point I was not happy. I went back to the desk and he offered to come with us to find another room. Back to the second floor...the room was ok, not very clean, run down, old, and the lock/latch on the door didn't work great...but it was ok for the night. I would never ever recommend this particular hotel to anyone. It was nasty. We didn't even touch the food on our way out in the morning, due to the smell in the lobby. Let's just say...this hotel is being run by people who came to this country for the "american dream'...they are living the high life while ripping off the americans. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Hunpy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

The place is old, outdated, falling down and well completely disgusting. I did not feel safe, secure, or sterile. I had my concerns just from walking into the place but hey you never know but the first appearance is the lasting impression. Window AC units with plywood on top holding them in. Smoke detector beeping, outdated furnishings. Dirty walls, ceiling, lock that was difficult to open, gross stuff on walls. This place needs to be torn down or fully gutted. I am shocked that choice would even flag this hotel.

I will give Kudos to the staff they tried and they were hlepful and immediately gave me a refund but I would never visit here again. Scary,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these New Haven hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

If you don't have much money, and you and your family on a budget while traveling, DONT CHOSE THE Econo Lodge in New Haven, CT period. My family and I travel alot and usually stay in Econo Lodge,Quailty Inn,Clarion because they have really upgraded into good hotels. Well, this one is the number 1 absoulte worst reservation We ever made with Choice International Hotels. The pictures on website is false. That's must there protype pictures cause when we got there it look nothing like it. The front guy was very nice I can say that. He gave me a room on the other side of the hotel if the front entrance. When we pulled up to the room,I notice that there was a board in the window holding up the air condition. Upon further inspection there was a gap in the board so you can see in and clear see out of it. When we opened the door, four roaches ran by to welcome us.OMG the floor had black burns marks and none of the lights came on, this is definitly the place the boogie man retired at. The bathroom was so old fashion I had a flash back of my moms house in the 80's. After the flash back, I immmediate went to the front desk and got a refund. One thing I can say is the front desk guy was nice and asked no questions when giving me my money back. This Story is 100% true a little funny but true. I will never talk my family to Econo Lodge Again!!!!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Laourl
WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

I have never had such a horrible experience with a hotel in my entire life. The hotel room was filthy, amenities listed on site were not available, wall outlets and cable outlet hanging from the wall with exposed wires, disgusting toilet seat, lock on door wouldn't work, etc. The last straw was when I requested fresh towels because I had used all the towels in bathroom to soak up a major leak from the toilet tank. They brought me an armful of dirty, filthy towels. I left as soon as I "airdried" from my shower. I requested a refund but they refused.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Dsaminwv
Upstate NY USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

A romantic getaway was ruined by the infestation of cockroaches and lots of tiny gnat-like flies. My wife and I didn't feel comfortable sharing the room with roaches...and these roaches are the brave kind that DON'T run away when the lights go on. My wife being especially fearful of insects (even harmless ones like ladybugs), this romantic evening was a big disapointment. Instead of really enjoying each others' company we took turns watching the other sleep. I watched my wife sleep so I could protect her from having these filthy creatures crawling on her, and later she did the same for me. We didn't feel comfortable using the shower or the towels. If not for the insects, this WOULD have been a positive review. It's a shame, because the few staff members we did encounter were very friendly and polite. Needless to say, NEVER again will we stay here.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Cockroaches
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank ChrisSquire
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We definitely felt unsafe at this hotel. There were long-term residents that made their presence all too known. One of the buildings was condemned/ boarded up, the others in very poor shape. I don't know how they can even call themselves an chain member of Econo Lodge, it is not a suitable place for a family to stay.
Very unclean, very loud, very scary.
They need to not be in business any longer, do not give them your money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BassKrazee
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

I think you've got to narrow down what you want out of a motel. As a graduate student traveling to New Haven to do research at Yale, the three most important things to me were cost, convenience, and safety.

This hotel, even with the cost of a rental car and daily parking rates, was still cheaper than all the hotels close to Yale (which were in the $150-$250 range). So at the end of the day, I didn't mind that the towels were kinda rags, the lights in the bathroom didn't work, the pool was drained, the sauna was closed, the "exercise room" was an empty hall with three broken machines. What I wanted was safety, affordability, and location, and this had them.

The motel is a straight shot down Whalley to the Yale campus. Along the way there is a nearby Walgreens, bank, Subway, etc. You also pass through Westville's downtown, which is really cute and has some nice cafes.

If you go, stay in the main building. I was on the second floor and had intermittent wireless access in my room. The breakfast is just cornflakes, bagels, and English muffins, but hey...that's a free breakfast.

People do clearly live here, which is a little odd.

The staff is super, super nice. I always felt welcomed by them every time I came in and I can't say enough about how nice they are.

The online photos of this place are super-dated and make the motel look nice. It doesn't look that way any more. Clearly, its glory days are over. But that's okay. Think about what you want most, adjust your expectations, and come here. Use the money you save to spend it on fabulous food at Yale!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Courtyard New Haven at Yale
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to New Haven Inn? Share your experiences!