“Is this a motel or post apocalypse shelter? Check for zombies.”
Review of New Haven Inn

New Haven Inn
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed June 27, 2012

DO NOT GO I repeat STAY AWAY.. the pictures on the Econo lodge website are what the hotel looked like before the end of the world atom bomb got dropped on New Haven. Only one section is available for staying the rest is literally boarded up, rotten, smashed, taped off, , broken windows, doors kicked in, matresses laying everywhere and totally debris ridden- not "we are under construction debris" more like "We are under attack debris" The swimming pool...? Is now a trash, literally. The rooms are skanky, it has more of a "crack house feel or a homeless shelter feel than a motel. I felt like I got warped into the movie Precious: Based on the book "Push" by sapphire. The people staying there are not wayfarers or travellers, they are the people that are one step from homelessness and econolodge is now home... it made me wonder if they are the kind of people that cant get a real apt, you know like drug addicts, convicts, and sex offenders. it felt that way to me. This place is the worst place Ive ever stayed, by FAR- and Im not picky- obviously I was staying at an econo lodge so that should tell you I wasnt expecting the ritz... and dont expect a refund, for any reason... at all... no matter what.... for any reason. Trashy and rude, scum, low class, ghetto, half way house, STDs, Flea Bag, Katrina, - these are the words I think of when I think of this place. They should loose their franchise.... See the pictures others have posted!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Shaun R

Reviewed January 7, 2012

We've been going to Econo Lodge since 2009 while my son has attending Yale University. It is the most economical hotel in the area and serves a free breakfast along with the room. The staff is very pleasant, especially Mr and Mrs Patel who run the housecleaning services. The rooms are very clean and is kept clean on a daily basis. We were upgraded to a suite, when there were no other rooms available at no additional cost. It is about a 19 minute drive away from Yale University and next to a major freeway entrance.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank J F
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Was totally disappointed. Can tell they're trying to fix it up, but we got stuck in a very stinky smoker's room. Hotel half empty, but wouldn't put us in new room. Paid up front for 4 nights; couldn't stand smell and left after 3rd night; they refused to refund money. Would never recommend or stay again!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dawn3Sacramento
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed August 10th to the 11th for a visit to Yale University. In a secluded area, however the Lobby had to be opened from the inside. There were some rowdy people next door, and it seems that New Haven is just like any other city. Lobby seemed remodeled, and the hotel must have been really nice in the 1970's. Pool was not cleaned, and water was green with bacteria. Rooms were decent, although facility was old. Breakfast was simple, but they had juice, coffee, and some baked goods. Overall decent stay given the price.

Room Tip: Ask for Non-Smoking, in the newer wing.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank shahpb
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Have you ever had that gut feeling that you should not be somewhere? Well this is it. Looked like they were in the process of renovating. The room was fairly clean. Indoor pool was not. The location is horrible.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ninja373
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Where do I begin?

1) The noise outside at all hours? (3AM, people yelling)
2) The construction noise on the roof before 7AM on a Sunday?
3) The door that had no deadbolt, just the "chain" that any fool could probably break?
4) The non-existent wireless internet?
5) No closet??? I'm supposed to hang clothes in the sink area? (Where the hangars were located) Are you serious??
6) The "interior corridor"?? To me, a door that opens to the outside does not have an interior corridor.
7) The sofa bed that wasn't there?
8) The queen beds. Not really. <LOL>
9) Breakfast? Until only 9AM on a Sunday? Of course given #1 and #2 above, maybe it's reasonable to expect that NO ONE would sleep in on Sunday there.
10) No outlets to plug in an electronic device. Well, ok there really wasn't an internet so..
11) No chair other than the one at the desk.
12) No coffee maker (as promised) in the room
13) Empty tissue dispenser
14) Shabby carpeting, etc

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank rhb617
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We were taking our son on some college visits. Money was tight. I booked this hotel through Choice Hotels, never checked the reviews. Big Mistake! We arrived at 12:30am after driving 7 hours in the rain. We were exhausted. We got to our room and I couldn't believe it. The place is run down, grafitti on the walls, the fridge and microwave they claim to have either don't exist or are broken. As we were getting ready to settle in I decided to check the windows...the one wouldn't lock, anyone could open it and get in. I called and asked if we could have a board or something to cram in the window to keep us safe, they offered us another room on the first floor. My son and I entered the room, dark, the light switch wasn't working, found a light and couldn't believe our eyes! I wish I had taken photos to post. This was worse, by far, from the original room. Holes in the walls, from where towel bars and other things had been ripped from the walls. It was horrible. At this point I was not happy. I went back to the desk and he offered to come with us to find another room. Back to the second floor...the room was ok, not very clean, run down, old, and the lock/latch on the door didn't work great...but it was ok for the night. I would never ever recommend this particular hotel to anyone. It was nasty. We didn't even touch the food on our way out in the morning, due to the smell in the lobby. Let's just say...this hotel is being run by people who came to this country for the "american dream'...they are living the high life while ripping off the americans. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family