“Birthday dinner”

Goodfellas Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 558 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

My siblings and I took out mother here for her birthday dinner. They were wry accommodating to our large party on a Saturday evening. The waiter was very pleasant and quick. The atmosphere is nice, although I love the movie goodfellas it is a little weird to see it on the tv non stop while trying to enjoy a nice dinner.... My family sat upstairs for dinner where there are no tv's and it felt a little more elegant. The food was delicious and fairly priced. Special appetizers were good. Overall this was a great night out and I would definitely return.

Denver, Colorado
“Terrific Italian”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went with a family of five (3 teenage boys). They were just opening their second floor dining room, so it was a bit crazy with an hour wait after our reservation time. They made up for it with complimentary appetizers and salads. All the Italian dishes were very fresh and pasta seemed home made. The calamari was cooked to perfection and could have made a whole meal. The Italian waiter was the read thing and very courteous and professional.

Visited November 2012
Madison ct
“Nice Italian restaurant”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The bread was excellent. The drinks were great. The food was good, but 3 shrimp does not a dinner make. 3 shrimp on a bed of very good pasta was a bit skimpy. Calamari new York style was tremendous. No TVs in the upstairs room, which is fine, but that was one of the attractions (gimmicks?) of the restaurant. Price wise it was ok. Overall the food was good but not great.

Stratford
“Wonderful”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful atmosphere, food, and service. A great place for a special occasion or a night out. I recommend this restaurant!

Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thanks for the great 5 star review and hope to see you again soon!
New Haven, Connecticut
“A Near-Perfect Restaurant, but it can bite back!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We made a reservation the day of our dinner (a Tuesday evening). We began with a drink at the bar, which was sophisticated and offered a variety of well-mixed cocktails. The hostes and maitre d' were friendly and professional-- in fact perhaps one of the most professional maitre d's I've seen outside of Europe! Our server added tremendously to our experience- he was helpful and professional... and the food was nothing short of amazing.

So, what is the bite? Two things. First of all, I have a strong dislike for restaurants that have televisions in the dining area. I think TVs have a place in the bar, but if I am out for a lovely dinner, I have no interest in watching TV or being distracted by one (in their defense, the TVs were all playing Goodfellas and other Italian-mob-themed movies). The second bite was the surprise on our bill. Two of us ordered the veal chop special which was stated as being M/P. We assumed it would be slightly more than the traditional entrees, but the veal chop was more than double the cost of most entrees, coming in at $65. The veal chop was truly wonderful, but 65? We aren't in New York!

PS- If you like crab cakes, I highly recommend them as an appetizer!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank karissavantassel
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and five star review!!! The M/P for our veal chop for the week you dined with us was $32.95. As stated in your review, you had two veal chop dinners. Therefore the $65 charge was for two veal chops dinners. Hope that clears up any confussion and hope to see you back soon.