“Disappointing take out experience!”
Review of Brick Oven Pizza

Brick Oven Pizza
Ranked #234 of 575 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was staying at the Courtyard Marriott nearby, when a big snowstorm hit, so I was looking for something relatively convenient and quick, so I walked over to this establishment during a weekday evening, and ordered a medium Hawaiian pizza (ham and pineapple) to go. The man running the desk was certainly friendly enough and although they were busy he made the pizza pretty quickly. The pizza was hot and in the box, and I immediately took it to my room to eat. There is nothing special about the sit down area, but it appeared to be clean and there were a few patrons who looked like they were enjoying their food over the middle-eastern radio station music playing overhead. The bill was $21 with two 20 oz drinks, and I added a $5 tip (a little pricey for a medium 2-topping pizza, but New Haven is on the expensive side when eating out). The pizza quality was not very good, I am sad to report. Even though there was a generous amount of cheese, the ham looked (and tasted) like cheap deli packaged sliced ham that had been hastily cut up (and not cut up very good I might add). The crust is way too thin for the amount of ingredients, which resulted in a soggy pizza. I have two suggestions for this business: 1. Use a thicker crust with more dough-"thin crust" does not necessarily mean "skimpy dough". 2. Improve the quality of the ingredients-use baked, chopped ham instead of some deli, packaged ham. All in all, for the money spent, a disappointing experience! I would not recommend this place, particularly to business travelers who stay at the nearby Courtyard.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant was 1 block behind our Courtyard hotel, so I thought it would be good. It was terrible and it was not clear about the charge for extra toppings. I had 1/2 of a 12" pizza with tomato sauce, cheese, spinach, black olives, basil, and mushrooms. My granddaughter got the other half with only tomato sauce, cheese, spinach & basil. There was way too much spinach and instead if being nice individual leaves, it was a bunch of cooked spinach (stringy) just thrown on it. There were very few mushrooms and the black olives were just thrown onto one section of the pizza instead if evenly distributed. The crust was burned. This 12" pizza cost us $20. The atmosphere was gloomy. I have to say this was the worst pizza I have ever eaten. I couldn't even eat all of it.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The service and pizza at this restaurant is SICK. The pizza was burnt, ice cold, and sloppy! I went to get a refund and the guy REFUSED for HALF AN HOUR. I literally became so upset that I cursed him out and he still refused to give me a refund! Their service is HORRIBLE!!

1  Thank Nadya A
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had over 25 people fill this little pizza place before a Yale hockey game. We were not going to be able to get our group in and out of one of "the established" pizza places in New Haven in time for the hockey game. That's why we ended up here and I'm glad we did! The pizza is only thin crust, wood fired brick oven. The brick oven adds it's own flavor. Everybody liked it, but know that you're not getting pan pizza or any other bread style. (I like thin crust so that's good by me.) Plenty of toppings to choose from. The owner makes the pizza. He and his staff are extremely friendly and very concerned that you like their product. Note: NO lunch. They're open 3pm to 3am. They have an agreement with the Courtyard hotel to use their parking lot right next to the restaurant. I recommend you use it. We will return!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Pizza was unusual and very thin and delicious, also had great salads.
The place is a tiny store but the employees were very friendly and eager to please. Priced a little high like the whole college town area, but was a much better choice than tyical pizza places around the block.

1  Thank MiddleEasternFoodie