Review Highlights
expensive parking.. good place

We were on the way to rhode island, and stopped over here for lunch... Got lunch from home and this... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
rajsviewfinder
Edison, New Jersey
beautiful!

This was a well maintained park and a beautiful lighthouse. It was a nice place for a sunset even... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2018
toddandtraci
PA

Recommended experiences in and around New Haven
from $25.00
More Info
from $25.00
More Info
All reviews beautiful lighthouse horses playground picnic building
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

What a treasure in the city of New Haven!!
This historical Carousel is magnificent in all ways--the music and the antique horses that have been beautifully refurbished! What a gem. It's just a shame that the City doesn't put staff on more often to run it, as it is only available for pubic on a limited basis.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank E C
Reviewed September 29, 2017

A lot of people have commented on the $30 fee for non-resident vehicles entering the park. Personally, I don't think the park is worth $30. However, if you just park half a mile down the road and walk to the park you can walk right in along a path and not pay anything. This is what I do, and it is well worth it. My wife and I do this for picnics at the park.

Date of experience: July 2017
6  Thank Corey V
Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

We came to see the lighthouse & brought out dogs for a walk. As a non-CT resident, we were charged $25 to enter the park. I'm sorry but it just wasn't worth it. The park & facilities are just OK. There are many other far nicer parks to visit - for a whole lot less. Lesson learned.

Date of experience: September 2017
5  Thank RGC_2011
Reviewed August 8, 2017

We love fine old wooden carousels and this one is a beauty. It's quite large with 4-abreast well maintained Charles Carmel wooden horses and a fine band organ. The horses have real horse hair tails but unfortunately, a few of the horses were sadly lacking their tails. The cost to ride is only 50 cents. However, because we traveled from out of state, they socked us with a $30 entrance fee at the gate. Wow. Not the best way to encourage tourism, folks. We are also lighthouse fans. The Five Mile Point lighthouse is impressive at nearly 100 feet tall though it has no light in the lantern room. There is a second light as well. Southwest Ledge light is visible on a breakwater a bit offshore. We enjoyed walking the beach and a stone breakwater. My daughter was pleased to find a piece of sea glass on the beach. Unfortunately, when we went out to the parking lot to leave, I found my car trapped between other cars such that I could not leave even though I had parked properly. The park mgr quickly came to our aid. After his stern announcement on the PA system, the driver that had parked illegally came right away to move his car. While I am grateful for his help, the park mgr commented that this problem happens "all the time". The lot has no parking lines or guide fences to help organize the cars. I strongly suggest that they install some so this chaos doesn't keep happening. There was a wedding going on and I feared I would not be able to leave for hours.

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank Denise C
Reviewed July 22, 2017

Every time we go to New Haven we visit Lighthouse Point Park! The kids are not as interested in the carousel as they were when they were little but still enjoy it as a landmark and for the memories. The beach is great for finding seaglass and interesting rocks. We all enjoy walking the beach and jetty area. Great view!

Date of experience: May 2017