“The best Japanese restaurant”

Miso Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 583 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A mixture of authentic Japanese cuisine with a modern vibe, exquisite presentation and design, and a commitment to green and socially responsible business practices, Miso Japanese Restaurant is a welcomed retreat from the conventional dining experience and offers customers an opportunity to please their palate and indulge a little- guilt-free. Our food has been awarded the best Asian and sushi in Connecticut with accolades and recognition from world-renown chefs, magazines, and within culinary circles. We specialize in truly traditional Japanese food preparation and sensibilities, with Japanese menu items including sushi, sashimi, nigiri, and other fine dishes including noodles, katsu, and teriyaki-based plates. Our menu includes a selection of traditional rolls and house-originals from our chef who has over 20 years of experience in culinary arts, training and learning techniques from master chefs from Malaysia to New York. We use the freshest ingredients with daily fish deliveries to ensure fantastic taste and value for every meal. Take advantage of our full bar, take-out, catering, and space for private parties! Sustainability is large part of the core values of Miso Japanese Restaurant where most construction materials are bamboo, recycled wood, paper, and other upcycled materials. Cooking oil is recycled and repurposed for biofuel after use and all byproducts are converted or reused to its maximum potential. The entire team at Miso Japanese Restaurant warmly welcome you to join us for your next meal. Miso Japanese Restaurant: a taste (and experience!) Like no other.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We love Miso. My wife and I have been going here since they opened. While faces have changed, the quality and attention to detail have remained. Traditional dishes served perfectly. The sushi is always fresh. they typically have a few specials on the weekend. The tuna fish sandwich is amazing.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have dined at Miso many times and would return. The atmosphere is nice, but not necessarily intimate as the room(s) are somewhat large.

I prefer raw selections and the fish has always been fresh and never suspect.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have traveled around the country and this is truly my favorite sushi restaurant in the country, yes, truly the best in the country. Always fresh and innovative, with great specials.

1  Thank John Z
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Miso is probably my favorite sushi restaurant in Connecticut. The modern, minimalist decor is actually quite soothing. Hajiki seawood salad with lotus root is well made, age tofu is delicious and their shumai are the best I've ever eaten anywhere. The spicy tuna dragon roll is surprisingly spicy and the eel and avocado roll was perfect. White tuna sushi was also delicious. Cold udon noodles flavored with green tea were also really tasty. This is just a great place for Japanese food.

1  Thank v0yageur22
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The only other restaurant in New Haven that I like as much as this one is Ibiza. it's a good thing one's Japanese and the other is Spanish or I never would be able to make up my mind. I frequent a good many Japanese restaurants and enjoy sushi, but this one is a cut above all the others. Not only is the chief sushi chef, Jason, comfortable with English, he and his crew are true artists. It doesn't hurt that the fish is about the freshest I've found anywhere. He has yellow tuna that will just melt in your mouth. They have on the menu a tuna carpaccio which is a thin disk of red tuna about as big as the plate coated with a special sauce. Try it. this review would go on to long if I tried to fully cover the food available, so I won't. Sushi bars a great place to be and meet and talk to interesting people. It seems there are a lot of regulars. Table setting is what you might expect. Parking is close by and a lot that will give you a discount if you've got a stamp from the restaurant. Finally, there's a little Oriental grocery store almost next to the restaurant. It's a good place to browse and pick up a few incidentals. I usually pick up a bag of baby bok choy, and I do mean baby. These are about 4 inches long, not the giant babies you find in the grocery store.

1  Thank ALGCromwell