“Very Good but not Great”
Review of Ibiza Restaurant - CLOSED

Ibiza Restaurant
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We had been hearing about how wonderful Ibiza is, so we had to try it! We went about 2 hours before our reservation to have a few drinks at the Bar and to get a feel for the ambiance. The Drinks were fabulous, the Bartender suggested a Jalapeno Margarita which, being one that loves all things spicy, I had to try. It was so good with the right amount of heat, the problem was after our first round, which was about 6:00 pm on a Sat night it took us forever to get another. I felt as though the Bar was understaffed to handle the higher volume as the evening progressed.
Once seated at our table, again it seemed as though the front of the restaurant was understaffed. We had choose to order a bottle of wine and when we asked our Waiter about some of the selections he said he would send over the "wine guy". The four of us assumed he meant the Sommelier, we waited about 20 minutes and when the "wine guy" never showed up we flagged over our waiter and just took a stab at a bottle of wine. Thankfully our guess turned out pretty good.
I had the Boquerones Anchovy appetizer, I know that people either love Anchovies or don't, the problem is the Anchovies with this app had no taste, the crusty bread beneath had all the flavor. The Paquetitos de cordero, which are lamb and wild mushroom ravioli was very, very good. I know that the Lobster was good, not great as was the Cod. Probably the best dishes that are offered are the espacio (sp) offered at the beginning of the meal, and the mini desserts offered at the end all compliments of the House.
The desserts we ordered were lack luster and forgettable. While some have complained about the price, it didn't really scare me that much, but as I found out you get what you pay for.
My feelings are this stop by for a drink, early, at the bar then walk over to Barcelona to have Quality Spanish plates, tapas etc. Ibiza's decor is better but the service, food and buzz is much better at Barcelona.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I booked dinner at this restaurant Friday, August 24. We decided to have several Tapas rather than just a single entrees. We started off with the Boquerones and the scallop and shrimp ceviche. Both were magnificent but in particular the ceviche. proportions were just right like any tapas.This was followed by the salad special which consisted of beets and tomatoes. The vinaigrette was a bit acid but overall it was very tasteful. we continued with The Paquetitos de Cordero which with a glass of 2005 Rioja turn out to be delicious. the highlight of the evening was the Chipirones a baby squid braced on its own ink with rice.Wow what a delight! this dish was exceptional. Service was very good considering that the place was totally packed. Would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting New Haven.

1  Thank Rodrigo M
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We love Ibiza's Wine Bar. The New Haven location is fancier for those special occasions and has great food and service too. We (my family and friends) frequent the one in Hamden on Dixwell Avenue more often than I like to admit. I believe they think I do not know how to cook! Friendly and absolutely the best food around. The menu has specials which are always good. The tapas style allows you to eat alot or alittle. You must try even things you never thought you would eat because NOTHING is ever bad at Ibiza's. The patio is great in the summer. The owner welcomes you and even remembers the wine you drink. We sometimes just let him bring us the food and do not order for ourselves at all. Really fun! Laura is a great host and we love to see her smile. All the staff are great and the customer service and the art of dinning out is done well here! Oh, lets not forget the great selection of wine, Ibiza special drinks and deserts. Can't say enough good about this restaurant.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've eaten here many times over the years. Always excellent food, service and atmosphere. Expensive, but worth it.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Great food and fantastic service at the most expensive restaurant we visited during a 10-day visit to New Haven. Everyone in our part voted this the best dining experience of the trip, but I had to pay the rather daunting bill.