“Nothing special”

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

"BAR" came highly recommended by locals. As a place to drink microbrew beer, it's fine. As a pizza place, it is lacking. The pizza is average thin crust, and was a little singed. Not a place I'd eat again unless dragged along by a crowd.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We love this place. Their real brick oven pizzas are to die for. My favorite is mashed potato. I like to mix it with chicken and broccoli, it's delicious. But the wait time can be up to 1 hour if you don't have reservation.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I am very concerned that I may have experienced explicit racial discrimination for the first time at this establishment. I went to Bar for the first time to celebrate graduation from law school with a group of friends. The night was ruined by an inexplicably rude bartender. Even though I had not had anything to drink that night, the bartender refused to serve me on the grounds of being too drunk to be served (a state that I have never been in, since I rarely have more than one drink on occasion) and accused me of being belligerent when I questioned her reasoning. She proceeded to serve all the other (white) customers, some of whom were actually visibly inebriated and one of whom visibly under the legal drinking age. I have never experienced such inexplicably discriminatory hostile behavior. I would like to think that it wasn't my race but because she didn't like my voice or my outfit. Either way, I will never frequent this establishment again.

4  Thank ctgrapefruit
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The big name pizza places can be a long wait and frankly I am not always in the mood to stand in line. In fact I rarely am. I was so glad to be let in on this secret. The pizzas are terrific, if not at the exact same par of the best of New haven they are right up there. I'd say the toppings are (get the clam pie) if not the crust. Terrific beers and a great salad round out the meal. Not a lot of choice but all is done right.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

The food is delicious. That is indisputable. The service however is another matter. The maître d is unfriendly at best, rude and outright nasty at worst. They misrepresent seating times, changing estimates to suit their needs. Frankly, there was no attempt to be welcoming at all.

To make it worse, the house brewed beers were awful. Just the worst microbrews I have had anywhere. Warm, flat, and one in particular (blond ale) was like spoiled Miller Lite.

Overall, great pizza . But they should just do take out and sell bottled beer.